Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zchapk9
They are now arguing that this should be reduced by 50% in accordance with Article 7, the bit which says compensation is reduced if the new arrival time was less than three hours late. That seems very odd: my claim is not for lateness at all, but excessive earliness. By this logic, they could rebook me literally days ahead of schedule, and then cut down compensation because, although I was ridiculously early, I was not actually late.
Originally Posted by stifle
The relevant part of the regulation reads "When passengers are offered re-routing to their final destination on an alternative flight pursuant to Article 8, the arrival time of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked by [three hours]... the operating air carrier may reduce the compensation provided for in paragraph 1 by 50 %"
So for a long time this was held to be the position, but there have been a number of CJEU cases where the courts have held that the 50% reduction applies to a much narrower set of circumstances than previously considered. There is a full description of this courtesy of NickB here in post 827. see also various follow points after that, and there is also a post that CEDR has agreed to a claim on this basis. So you have a choice here - accept the half rate, or continue to court but argue on the basis of the CJEU rulings from the Azurair case.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So for a long time this was held to be the position, but there have been a number of CJEU cases where the courts have held that the 50% reduction applies to a much narrower set of circumstances than previously considered. There is a full description of this courtesy of NickB here in post 827. see also various follow points after that, and there is also a post that CEDR has agreed to a claim on this basis. So you have a choice here - accept the half rate, or continue to court but argue on the basis of the CJEU rulings from the Azurair case.
Every day's a schoolday!

I had a similar situation arise myself and was given half compensation, but it is now past the statute of limitations so I cannot go back and get the rest
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:50 pm

Thank you both! Super helpful.
Am I allowed to try and negotiate directly with the BA rep who filed the defence? Or does it all have to play out in the Court now?
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zchapk9
Thank you both! Super helpful.
Am I allowed to try and negotiate directly with the BA rep who filed the defence? Or does it all have to play out in the Court now?
Yes, you most certainly can negotiate with the BA rep, indeed the court are supposed to regard this as reflecting well on the claimant if they try to do this in good faith.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
For completeness it should be noted that this would potentially have a different result were the flight departing the UK rather than Greece, as CJEU decisions given after 31 December 2020, such as the decision in Joined Cases C‑146/20, C‑188/20, C‑196/20 and C‑270/20, do not automatically set binding precedent in the UK.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Looking for some advice here please, I suspect I may be in the wrong!

I was due to travel on a flight from BHD-AMS on 22 July at 15:10 (not a BA flight but I've posted on the relevant forum and didn't get any response so I'm hoping someone here will help). The flight was cancelled on the morning of 8 July, so 14 days beforehand.

After a battle with customer services at KLM I eventually filed a small claims court case. KLM have filed a defence this morning to say I'm not due compensation because the flight was cancelled more than 14 days in advance (they are using the scheduled time of departure whereas I had been using full days in my calculations). Should I just drop the case as I suspect they may be correct?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8 July is at least two weeks prior to 22 July, so I think you are onto a loser here.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by stifle
8 July is at least two weeks prior to 22 July, so I think you are onto a loser here.
That's what I thought - thanks for the reply!
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Simonmiller
After a battle with customer services at KLM I eventually filed a small claims court case. KLM have filed a defence this morning to say I'm not due compensation because the flight was cancelled more than 14 days in advance (they are using the scheduled time of departure whereas I had been using full days in my calculations). Should I just drop the case as I suspect they may be correct?
I would say the relevant test is "were you told at least two weeks before the schedule time (not day) of departure?" Article 5.1.c. Now I've been around long enough to know that the definition of 2 weeks / fortnight is a cultural thing - different people count it differently. But an English court will, I suspect, side with KLM on this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:55 am

Thanks CWS, I'm in the process of withdrawing my claim. Lesson learned!
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest - Silver
Success!!

Originally Posted by georgegebbett
I have submitted my response to CEDR, hinging on all of the above points, as well as the fact that certain categories of flight are excluded from the caps imposed by HADACAB, and amongst those are My main argument at this point is that given that such flights can be operated regardless of the capacity quota, there was nothing stopping BA from taking the reasonable measure of ferrying the aircraft empty from LHR, and returning it full of passengers to literally any UK airport, from where they could arrange onward transport to LHR.

Another point I made is that whilst BA are relying on the CAA's declaration that HAL-imposed cancellations constitute extraordinary circumstances, this is actually a question of statutory interpretation, which falls far outside of the CAA's remit as an aviation regulator, and can only be done by a court, and as such, the CAA's statement should not be afforded any weight in coming to a decision.

I will await the outcome of the CEDR ruling, which I fully expect to be in BA's favour, upon which I will proceed to MCOL...
Amazingly, the claim has succeeded at CEDR! The most salient point for those in a similar decision is this:

Having considered the arguments that the representative has made and the company’s defence, I accept that the company is under a duty to reduce its schedule by 10%. However, the company hasn’t explained why it needed to cancel the Flight in particular. I am not satisfied that the company has shown that there were no reasonable measures it could have taken to prevent the cancellation of the Flight. I am persuaded by the customer’s representative’s view that the company could have operated the preceding flight out of LHR empty. I therefore consider that the company hasn’t shown that it took all reasonable measures at its disposal to prevent the cancellation of the Flight. It follows I don’t think the company has succeeded in its defence.
If anyone else is in a similar situation and wants to direct CEDR towards this decision for them to base another decision off of, the reference is 642262.

Off to fight easyJet with AviationADR now…
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by georgegebbett
Amazingly, the claim has succeeded at CEDR! The most salient point for those in a similar decision is this:

If anyone else is in a similar situation and wants to direct CEDR towards this decision for them to base another decision off of, the reference is 642262.

Off to fight easyJet with AviationADR now…
Congratulations! I thought it would be possible to argue that it was BA's choice as to which flights they cancelled, so good to see at least CEDR agree
georgegebbett likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:25 pm

Question

Hi All: Does anyone know whether Article 10, regarding reimbursement (not compensation) for forcefully downgrading passengers has legal precedents as to who is entitled to make the claim and receive the reimbursement?

Asking because I paid for the trip of my wife who was downgraded from F to J in a LHR->DFW flight. Airline is non-responsive, and my wife does not live in the UK (I do).

Could I submit a MCOL claim given that I am the one technically entitled to the refund? I'm aware I can't fill a claim on her behalf.

Could I, alternatively, pursue a Section 75 claim with Amex? Mrs. Crastonts is, sadly, not interested in getting too involved with this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crastonts
Could I submit a MCOL claim given that I am the one technically entitled to the refund? I'm aware I can't fill a claim on her behalf.
If BA are involved here then regardless of EC261 they tend to pay back via the original form of payment even though under EC261 only your wife would have standing here. So I think your options are
1) Deal with BA and do your best to avoid other solutions - since they will pay you eventually.
2) Use MCOL in your wife's name - if it gets to court, a big if, then she may need to appear but the chances are that this is a year off. BA may settle before then.
3) Use CEDR in your wife's name - no risk of an appearance, but CEDR tends to believe that advance notice downgrades aren't in scope (with which I disagree).
The option you don't directly have is to apply EC261 as a non traveller, however with perhaps more expensive legal advice than I'm giving, you may have some scope to claim a contract failure, and use EC261 to set the appropriate breach quantum.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:53 pm

My apologies, I was very confused as to why you mentioned BA and CEDR until I realized I posted in the wrong thread.

No, AA is the offending carrier. They seem to be more difficult to deal with, no ADR available and no interest in putting things right.

Will re-post in the correct thread, feel free to delete my previous intervention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.