Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by adfg
Well, tbh it is an EasyJet flight from back in June so accept this is the BA forum but there is little activity on the EasyJet forum.
Short notice cancellation 30 mins before depature and flight never came up from LGW-EDI for the return sector having previsouly advertised a 1 hour delay. No other issues at EDI although I can't vouch for LGW on that evening of 24/06/22. I'm fairly sure it will have been EasyJet just running out of crew tim on their final rotation of the day after building up a delay earlier.
If you frankly disbelieve easyJet you could go to either MCOL or AviationADR (their version of CEDR) and at that point they will present the evidence. Had you asked a little nearer the time then someone who was travelling or working in ATC may have been able to give more information, but actually that's not your job. The onus here is on easyJet to prove their case.
adfg likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The strict proof wording appears in all their submissions. I read through it, judges read through it, you should ignore it. I'm kind of annoyed by this, this process is supposed to be one that anyone can use, but in reality corporations always get their lawyers to be intimidating in their uss of language. Doesn't matter if it's BA, councils trying to get council tax from those with no money, landlords trying to get overdue rent. I think it is wrong but the legal profession would probably melt down if asked to be nice and use everyday language in their submissions. They are even worse when it's lawyers going for lawyers even they end up in the pub afterwards, it's an adversarial system.

So what you do need to do is cut to the core argument and at some point you need to do one of two things. Before the court hearing (could be a long way away) you need to give your version of this. And you could do a skeleton (see top of thread) where you bullet point your way through BA's defence. This skeleton is similar to a straight reply, the first option, but in a structured way that judges like. No point doing this until you have heard from the courts - which will happen if you push for a hearing and the courts then ask for your availability.
Thanks, CWS. The defence I received was by me being copied in to their submission to the Courts, so I guess I should hear back from the Courts once they have had time to process it. Presumably, in keeping with the simplified process principal, it will advise what I do next. What I don't want to do is give BA the chance to dump a few more Avios in my account and call it quits - I obviously can't stop them from adding anything to my BAEC account.

I'll go and review the skeleton now
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
If you frankly disbelieve easyJet you could go to either MCOL or AviationADR (their version of CEDR) and at that point they will present the evidence. Had you asked a little nearer the time then someone who was travelling or working in ATC may have been able to give more information, but actually that's not your job. The onus here is on easyJet to prove their case.
Thanks CWS, i'll try AviationADR. I only found out today the reason they were giving for the cancellation hence the delay.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sayling
I'm currently waiting for BAs defence submission to my own Small Claim for involuntary downgrade (they requested the extra 14 days and have until 16:00 on 19/9/2022). ..
Originally Posted by sayling
I've just received the defence submitted by BA, who are basically saying the claim should be dismissed..
My downgrade MCOL case (Avios, 241, GUF2, aircraft change F>J) is running behind yours. BA have unsurprisingly submitted an Acknowledgement of Service requesting the additional 14 days, giving them until early October. I am expecting the same defence to be submitted.
sayling likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
My case further up thread has reached the point where BA filed a defence & I replied to it also requesting the case is transferred to a court near me - which was granted.

What happens next? Do I just sit tight & wait to be advised when it will be heard?
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Lioneye
My case further up thread has reached the point where BA filed a defence & I replied to it also requesting the case is transferred to a court near me - which was granted.

What happens next? Do I just sit tight & wait to be advised when it will be heard?

I’ve only had to MCOL once, another well known euro carrier and they coughed up prior to submitting a defence. Funnily enough it was from using this board (albeit an earlier year) that even an ‘insider’ gained great benefit from. Is the defence submitted a carbon copy of what you previously posted on this board?

Feel free to PM.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Lioneye

Yes, pretty much. There are long delays getting hearing slots, so it may be a wait. It sounds like you have completed the Directions questionnaire, so it will then be transferred to your court, the processing tracker online probably stops being useful, since it will be down to the administration of the county court to set a hearing date. If you ticked the box allowing arbitration (BA usually declines) then that court may get the arbitrator to get in touch, otherwise it's a waiting game. You can use the time to prepare a skeleton and then send that to BA and the clerk of your court under reference.
Lioneye and sayling like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
... otherwise it's a waiting game... .
Just to give a current timescale, I'm at 11 months post directions questionnaire. The claim has been moved to my local court, I await a hearing date.
Lioneye likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Just claimed for a c. 5 hour delay on BA 2263, LGW-KIN, on 5 Sep. Does anyone with clever resources know what the problem was? I hope I don’t get some spurious kickback from BA!
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Just wanted to check my understanding of eligibility for a claim on the two cancellations below; sadly both from the same trip!

11th Sept BA826 (LHR-DUB) - Cancelled 9th Sept (Reason code "COMM"), rebooked on BA824 11th Sept. Arrived 3hrs 15mins early.
16th Sept BA823 (DUB-LHR) - Cancelled 16th Sept (Reason code "OPEY"), rebooked on BA4469 16th Sept. Arrived 2hrs 3mins early, but at wrong airport (LCY). TfL trip across town had me arriving back at LHR at the original arrival time.

My read is that the outbound is eligible for €250, theoretically the inbound should be as well unless the transit has to be counted? Can anyone check my workings here?

Last edited by dakaix; Sep 17, 2022 at 1:29 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dakaix
Just wanted to check my understanding of eligibility for a claim on the two cancellations below; sadly both from the same trip!

11th Sept BA826 (LHR-DUB) - Cancelled 9th Sept (Reason code "COMM"), rebooked on BA824 11th Sept. Arrived 3hrs 15mins early.
16th Sept BA823 (DUB-LHR) - Cancelled 16th Sept (Reason code "OPEY"), rebooked on BA4469 16th Sept. Arrived 2hrs 3mins early, but at wrong airport (LCY). TfL trip across town had me arriving back at LHR at the original arrival time.

My read is that the outbound is eligible for €250, theoretically the inbound should be as well unless the transit has to be counted? Can anyone check my workings here?
Both are eligible since less than a week's notice was given and and both presumably involved departing more than 1 hour early. Different rules apply to cancellations compared to delays. BA will normally give half due to the early arrival, but see upthread for how recent CJEU rulings have said full payment should be made.
dakaix likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Both are eligible since less than a week's notice was given and and both presumably involved departing more than 1 hour early. Different rules apply to cancellations compared to delays. BA will normally give half due to the early arrival, but see upthread for how recent CJEU rulings have said full payment should be made.
Thanks CWS! I mentioned those CJEU rulings in the case I'd filed after the original cancellation. Have now updated that though asking to include the inbound. Will be interesting to see what their first response will be!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is there a way to find out what’s caused the 4.5hr delay on this mornings MAN-LHR (BA1385) ?

That’s gonna be probably a plane full of missed connections…..
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Can someone advise the reason for the cancellation of BA512 LHR to Palma Majorca yesterday 17th September?

A friend was supposed to be on board in CE and was rerouted from LGW but in ET. I assume downgrade reimbursement should be payable but compensation for the flight cancellation depends on the reason for the late notice cancellation.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedDevil83
Is there a way to find out what’s caused the 4.5hr delay on this mornings MAN-LHR (BA1385) ?

That’s gonna be probably a plane full of missed connections…..
I hope you the flight deck will give a full description in their pre-flight briefing. My guess would be that this is a night stopper, and was due into MAN yesterday at 21:55. However it was late arriving into Ringway, 23:41, so 2 hours or so late and there may have been further delays getting to the crew hotel. So I would speculate that the crew would need a later departure today in order to cover their legally prescribed rest period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.