Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Many thanks - MCOL gone in today & I'll report on outcome.

I've read through the main EC261 thread and please feel free to fold this one into it.
I did MCOL for my claim and noted I would put separate claims in for the other 3 passengers on the booking if mine was successful. They agreed to pay up before it went to court, I sent that email into BA and they paid up for the other three passengers within a few days. Overall it was very easy and relatively quick.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
I'd be supportive of reducing the amount of compensation payable but introducing large punitive penalties on airlines that don't pay what they clearly owe.
Train operating companies now have "Delay Repay" where the money can be in your bank account by the end of the day, no questions asked and no need to claim anything. How hard can it be to force airlines flying to / from the UK (now we have taken back control?) to operate the same principle of paying out whether the passenger claims or not. Flights marked as eligible for 261 payments means nobody has to claim and compensation is paid regardless. If the airline chooses to claim extraordinary circumstances and this claim is later denied by a passenger MCOL claim, the entire manifest should receive double compensation as punishment. I accept it may affect pricing, but only or those airlines that continuously offer a shoddy service and seem more interested in avoiding complaints rather than improving service.

How hard can it be? Not very.
Would it stop airlines fobbing people off in the hope they go away? Maybe.
Would it make airlines offer a better service with more resilience? Definitely.

Actually, thinking about it, BA's IT infrastructure would probably explode at the thought of this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are some comments about this in the main thread for EC261 but in essence
- CEDR is free to use, reasonably consumer friendly in terms of dialogue, not quick, and outcomes are very strictly, too strictly precedent based. They are paid by BA so it's not truly independent. Some of their staff appear poorly trained in broader consumer rights. CEDR is able to cope with Avios better than MCOL. It's just less scary than MCOL.
- MCOL has costs, first to register the claim and then to force a court hearing, £100 isn't unusual. It's more difficult to access and to do your claim justice it requires some research and homework. However once in the system the judicial system, it's processed efficiently, and it recognises the bias that is explicitly in EC261's wording, which says that the Regulation is intended to give a high level of consumer protection. CEDR seems to take little interest in this
MCOL is as far as I understand only for people with address in the United Kingdom (I assume this would mean living legally in the UK and not a hotel address) and (but that's not an issue with BA) against a defendant in England or Wales.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
MCOL is as far as I understand only for people with address in the United Kingdom (I assume this would mean living legally in the UK and not a hotel address) and (but that's not an issue with BA) against a defendant in England or Wales.
It can be your solicitor's address, to take one example of many.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by stefan_nl
I filed it myself without a UK address before (2019 ish) and it worked fine. Not sure if that was the requirement back then too.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: Too Many
Originally Posted by zanderblue
Ha, I’m a couple of days ahead of you, currently on day 52, and I’ve also had no communication other than acknowledgment of receipt of complaint.
This claim is for the return of a journey, I had a claim on the outbound which I went to CEDR after 8 weeks of hearing nothing from BA. BA did eventually pay up in full a couple of weeks after I submitted to CEDR.
I intend to do same this time round and raise complaint with CEDR after the 8 week mark.
What about for those in US? Does CEDR have a website to file? After BA kindly screwed up (cancelled my EDI portions during The Open--so kind of them). I filed on BA and not holding breath I'll hear anything from them, I'm trying to figure out next steps (living in US).
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by texex91
What about for those in US? Does CEDR have a website to file? After BA kindly screwed up (cancelled my EDI portions during The Open--so kind of them). I filed on BA and not holding breath I'll hear anything from them, I'm trying to figure out next steps (living in US).
CEDR is purely online, so yes, go to their website once you have reached the 8 week point from your initial complaint or have a deadlock letter. They are quite used to USA passengers using the service.
texex91 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
There have been a few messages above highlighting the fees as a downside of the MCOL process, however I have raised several MCOLs in my time and have always included the cost of the fee in the claim itself and never has that been challenged...

I think the only real risk of not getting the fee back is if you claim is completely misguided and it gets tossed out - however in a situation like the one a few posts above (staff sickness...pffft) where you have pretty high confidence in your claim - then I'd say go the MCOL route and include the court fee in the claim.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Final decision received....."An update from British Airways

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to delay flight, BA0664, on 11 June. I understand this is something you feel strongly about and I appreciate why you're unhappy with our previous reply.

/snip

Seriously, someone really needs to step in here and advise BA - in no uncertain terms - that they should not and cannot deny claims any longer for this kind of reason. They are literally shirking their legal obligations, in the hope that a proportion of their customers simply wont understand their rights or will run out of energy and will just throw in the towel without further action. It actually boils my blood that they think they can get away with this (and indeed, most likely DO get away with it) and seemingly no one is willing or able to intervene and put a stop to it once and for all.
adrianlondon and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Seriously, someone really needs to step in here and advise BA - in no uncertain terms - that they should not and cannot deny claims any longer for this kind of reason. They are literally shirking their legal obligations, in the hope that a proportion of their customers simply wont understand their rights or will run out of energy and will just throw in the towel without further action. It actually boils my blood that they think they can get away with this (and indeed, most likely DO get away with it) and seemingly no one is willing or able to intervene and put a stop to it once and for all.
The Court of Appeal already has, it is settled law (at least in the UK) that pilot illness is not an extraordinary circumstance for the purposes of UK261.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The Court of Appeal already has, it is settled law (at least in the UK) that pilot illness is not an extraordinary circumstance for the purposes of UK261.
Crikey, I'm not even sure that they are referring to the Pilot here.

Mad.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE

Could you point me to the relevant case by any chance?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I think the previous poster was referring to BA denying a claim that they should know is valid. Passengers shouldn't have to litigate to receive what they are owed under law.
adrianlondon and Bullswood like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Crikey, I'm not even sure that they are referring to the Pilot here.

Mad.
The OP states the delay was as a result of a member of the flight crew reporting ill, so one of the pilots.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I think the previous poster was referring to BA denying a claim that they should know is valid. Passengers shouldn't have to litigate to receive what they are owed under law.
I’m restricting my contributions to practical advice rather than clouding the issues with off-topic discussion.

Could you point me to the relevant case by any chance?
IIRC it is Lipton v BA City Flyer - if BA try to defend your claim come back to me and I can provide some assistance in dealing with this issue in your reply to defence.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by olouie
I really wish airlines would get penalized for wrongly denying EU261 claims. BA just makes a farce of it with these really bad excuses. They are hoping that most people will just drop it and not take the hassle of escalations.
As a comparison, my sister and her family were on the "infamous" TUI flight that had a 30+ hour delay where the pilot was caught on film loading the baggage.

They claimed and received £350 each within a week. They also got £500 for missing a day of their holiday, plus a £800 voucher for use on future TUI holidays.

They ended up feeling sorry for TUI, and didn't even bother claiming for the extra taxi and meal costs

The £2700 has paid for their next holiday later this year!
adrianlondon, toothy and jonr405 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.