Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Just had cancellation notice for BA0503 LIS to LHR on Tuesday 19 Jul 2022 at 18 45

MmB only gives option to cancel for refund. No other flights offered.

Please can someone advise what cancellation reason is and whether eligible for EC261.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's not showing a dispatch code yet, you may need to ask again in a couple of days. I bet it will be ARPN though, with BA blaming HAL. There is a rebooking option for TAP, which is relatively new, which equally makes TAP destinations vulnerable to cancellation. If this has just come through you may need to wait overnight for the disruption options to be populated.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:51 pm

Thanks corporate-wage-slave much appreciated. The cancellation email came through 10 minutes ago. Am on hold on Silver line at the moment. Looks like i am best waiting until tomorrow morning?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:31 pm

Checked Google flights and there were two other BA flights still for sale. Was about to hang up Silver line when call was answered. Managed to request change to the BA519 departing LIS at 16:35 on same day. No quibbles. MMB already updated to show new flight and tickets issued. Very friendly BA agent called Ahmet who apologised profusely for the inconvenience and said submit EC261 claim for cancellation via BA complaints page when back in London. Advised me that was my one change and any further voluntary changes would be subject to original fare rules which as it was an Avios booking is still pretty flexible but hoping not to have to make any further changes. Will submit a thank you via the website as that was very well done by BA in the circumstances (assuming the rebooked flight doesn't get cancelled)

Last edited by AJA_; Jul 15, 2022 at 5:17 pm
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA2775 = ARPN - airport / No (very much open to challenge this)
The others are not operational yet and may not show, but it worth checking again on the day. I bet it's the same though.
Anyone have any recent experience (positive or negative) in challenging the default EC261 rejection from BA for flights with ARPN?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Anyone have any recent experience (positive or negative) in challenging the default EC261 rejection from BA for flights with ARPN?
i think the experience will be BA say no and blame HAL so it’s circumstances beyond Ba’s control, and you would have to go to CEDR/MCOL to argue that these cancellations are not exempt from compensation and have any hope of getting something. I don’t think anyone has got that far yet on these latest cancellations.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had a flight cancellation email yesterday (Saturday) for a Monday flight and moved to Tuesday (MAN-LHR). The flight is showing up as red whilst the return flight on Friday (LGW-MAN), which I also had to change from LHR-MAN due to a cancellation, is showing blue, is there a reason and is this a warning that it is likely to be cancelled, despite the message "Your flight is due to depart as planned but, in order to offer you more flexibility, we're giving you the option to move your booking."? Also, when I manage this booking on the web I am taken to the old web site design directly for some reason? With so many cancellations i am getting a little paranoid!

Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ademanuele
I had a flight cancellation email yesterday (Saturday) for a Monday flight and moved to Tuesday (MAN-LHR). The flight is showing up as red whilst the return flight on Friday (LGW-MAN), which I also had to change from LHR-MAN due to a cancellation, is showing blue, is there a reason and is this a warning that it is likely to be cancelled, despite the message "Your flight is due to depart as planned but, in order to offer you more flexibility, we're giving you the option to move your booking."? Also, when I manage this booking on the web I am taken to the old web site design directly for some reason? With so many cancellations i am getting a little paranoid!
It's just a feature of CB4D, details in post 1, point 15 here, and the link therein.
LIVE! British Airways disruption 15 - 19 July 2022 - Heatwave edition - get help here
Tuesday may be a sticky day, in more ways than one, so I would keep an eye on it, and consider what your Plan B looks like.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A specific flight in red text usually just means some change has happened, so retiming, change flight, seat change etc. it doesn’t have any relation to whether the flight might be cancelled in the future.
ademanuele and wanderingjock like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Following CEDR intervention I have had a settlement offer from BA of £422.30 for a shorthalu cancellations for 2 passengers. I claimed £440 but £422 is BA's rate for 2x 250euros.

It's only a few £ but I thought the rates were fixed in GB£ now? I find myself irrationally irritated by this BA attempt to reduce the full amount if so. CEDR says Accept or Refuse. and I'm not sure I can face the hassle of refusing and asking for the full amount, and potentially having another 3 months wait.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LSunbury
Following CEDR intervention I have had a settlement offer from BA of £422.30 for a shorthalu cancellations for 2 passengers. I claimed £440 but £422 is BA's rate for 2x 250euros.

It's only a few £ but I thought the rates were fixed in GB£ now? I find myself irrationally irritated by this BA attempt to reduce the full amount if so. CEDR says Accept or Refuse. and I'm not sure I can face the hassle of refusing and asking for the full amount, and potentially having another 3 months wait.
Is this for a journey either beginning or ending in the UK?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:06 am

LHR to CDG
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
In that case CEDR have erred in law. EC261 does not apply to journeys that begin or end in the UK, the relevant law is UK261 and you are entitled as a matter of law to £220 per passenger.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
In that case CEDR have erred in law. EC261 does not apply to journeys that begin or end in the UK, the relevant law is UK261 and you are entitled as a matter of law to £220 per passenger.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
i think the experience will be BA say no and blame HAL so it’s circumstances beyond Ba’s control, and you would have to go to CEDR/MCOL to argue that these cancellations are not exempt from compensation and have any hope of getting something. I don’t think anyone has got that far yet on these latest cancellations.
What is the basis that these cancellations are not exempt from compensation?

I am in a similar position, and had a cancellation made with only 8 days notice, rebooked to the following day. Not sure on the cancellation code as the flight doesn't appear on expertflyer (flight status page), but the same flight later in the week was also cancelled and is coded ARPN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.