Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Flyafk
BTW, am I entitled to CW Tier points if I flew in Y due to a forced downgrade?
If you get a refund for the downgrade then no, you get the TPs as travelled. However if the TPs were significant to push you over a status boundary then you can ask BAEC to take it into account.
Flyafk likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
With cancellation we need both the original departure time, the rebooked departure time, the original arrival time and the rebooked arrival time, in order to work out the sums.
Thanks corporate-wage-slave . Original departure time was 18.50 on the BA8474 AGP-LCY, original arrival time was 20.45 - this flight was cancelled. Rebooked departure time was 17.35 on the BA7165 AGP-MAD then 20.50 on the BA465 MAD-LHR scheduled arrival 22.00 (it landed on time). All of this was on 28/06. So they left 75 minutes earlier than planned and arrived 75 minutes later than planned.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:52 am

Not sure anyone can help.

Someone book from CX. (LHR-CDG-HKG) in cash.
LHR-CDG is operated by BA while CDG-HKG is CX.

LHR-CDG cancelled 8 days before flight. That person Call CX to tell them that he will give up on the LHR-CDG route and will travel via Eurostar to CDG to catch the CDG-HKG flight instead.

CX is saying that he need to pay additional £1100.

I believe that this is incorrect. He should be able to drop the first segment as there is no replacement LHR-CDG flight offered. And there should be some refund also?

alternatively CX should also reroute him via the direct LHR-HKG flight right at no additional cost ? Book LHR-CDG-HKG in the first place because CX charge very high price for the direct LHR-HKG flight.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by volar
Thanks corporate-wage-slave . Original departure time was 18.50 on the BA8474 AGP-LCY, original arrival time was 20.45 - this flight was cancelled. Rebooked departure time was 17.35 on the BA7165 AGP-MAD then 20.50 on the BA465 MAD-LHR scheduled arrival 22.00 (it landed on time). All of this was on 28/06. So they left 75 minutes earlier than planned and arrived 75 minutes later than planned.
OK, so you left more than an hour early on a cancellation notified with less than 7 days notice. But you were not 3 hours late on the 1600 km journey. So that's 400€ reduced by 50% = 200€. See upthread for a discussion as to whether it should be the full amount, however this is what BA should be willing to pay.
adrianlondon and volar like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Not sure anyone can help.

Someone book from CX. (LHR-CDG-HKG) in cash.
LHR-CDG is operated by BA while CDG-HKG is CX.
It's the operating airline - BA - who is on the hook for rebooking, though this is an example where EC261 isn't very helpful since BA will rightly say "we don't own this ticket". CX, being aware of this, should offer a rebooking option from London to Hong Kong. Probably the easiest will be if BA puts a note on the CX ticket about the cancellation and their preferred alternative, and then CX re-tickets. The oneworld liaison desk can in theory help with this. But if this becomes impossible to do, then you need to think of what is the least cost impact solution (I can't believe it's £1100), pay it if necessary, then think in terms of making an MCOL submission naming both airlines in the same case.
sbs2716g likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:09 am

I have a few outstanding EU261 claims for delays back in 2019, I’ve intentionally left them as it wasn’t a priority and I didn’t want to burden BA during Covid, however now seems as good a time as any arguably. My question is, would the fact I’ve left it a few years to claim count against me in terms of my claim(s) being approved?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
OK, so you left more than an hour early on a cancellation notified with less than 7 days notice. But you were not 3 hours late on the 1600 km journey. So that's 400€ reduced by 50% = 200€. See upthread for a discussion as to whether it should be the full amount, however this is what BA should be willing to pay.
Thanks, CWS. So the offer of 10,000 Avios was if not derisory, at least 'cheeky' - noting that if I were to buy 10,000 Avios from BA this would cost me 201€ (but I certainly wouldn't buy them at this price).
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by pazza2000
I have a few outstanding EU261 claims for delays back in 2019, I’ve intentionally left them as it wasn’t a priority and I didn’t want to burden BA during Covid, however now seems as good a time as any arguably. My question is, would the fact I’ve left it a few years to claim count against me in terms of my claim(s) being approved?
No, shouldn't do. If it's clear cut, it may be quite quick.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:03 am

Just had my CEDR claim for cancelled flights being rebooked in ticket validity window, rejected.
Apparently BA are at liberty to enforce ticket validity AND do not have to rebook 'indefinitely' (I hadn't asked for 'indefinite' window, rather 1 year from cancelled flight.
Also the change of rules on ticket validity vs 1 year from outbound cancelled flight during the period between which I was informed of the cancellation and was able to rebook, is also not a reason for CEDR to uphold my protest.
Reminder of situation (quoted elsewhere in thread), flights to for Nov 21 invol canx in Sept 21, intended to rebook for Oct/Nov 22 when seats became available under then-current rebooking policy of 1yr from outbound flight. I asked for the cancelled flight to be left in the booking, (with remaining live return flight removed). Rules changed to rebooking within ticket validity (i.e May 22) before I could make rebooking. I couldn't travel within ticket validity (due to work family circumstances, i.e. not convenient for the pax as per EU261), and put in a claim to CEDR that I had not been offered the chance to rebook on available seats at convenient time. This was rejected as a valid complaint (strangly, given experience of others on here)

However, the decision seems to hinge of the fact that when I asked BA to remove the remaining 'live' portion of the ticket (leaving the cancelled leg in place while I worked out when I could rebook), they actually rebooked me for a departure at the limit of my ticket validity (but didn't tell me). Neither BA nor I submitted a record of this rebooking (I didn't realise it had been made until I got a transcript of the booking from BA under GDPR). CEDR said that when this (phantom?) booking was cancelled, BA should not have unilaterally refunded me and SHOULD have then offered me the chance to rebook up to Oct 2022, but since I did NOT present evidence of this rebooking, they would be rejecting my claim. I honestly didn't know about the rebooking to May at the time of my CEDR submission. it DID NOT show up in MMB and I had not asked for it.

Bit disappointed about this, given the successes that others in a very similar situation on here appear to have had.

I seem to have 20 days to respond further in objection to their decision. It seems I MIGHT have a valid case in CEDRs eyes for the final cancellation of my 'phantom' booking, but obviously have no evidence it was made by BA (although it would have extended my ticket validity until Oct 2022... which is what I want...!)

Any tips on how I can turn this around?

Last edited by GBOAC; Jul 6, 2022 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GBOAC
Bit disappointed about this, given the successes that others in a very similar situation on here appear to have had.
I think you should consider whether to take this to MCOL on the basis that there are points of law here that would benefit from a judicial review. You would have to prepare this carefully, do the research, stick to the deadlines, since BA may try to recover some of their legal costs. However so long as you act in good faith and have a good reason to go to the small claims track then my impression is that the court would simply look at the case on its merits rather than the back story. It has some risks attached, since depending on the specifics there may be legal costs in the £100 area which you may not recover.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Cancellation reason BA450 01 July

BA450 on 1 July LHR to PMI 16:00-19:25 cancelled one day before departure. Does anyone know the reason?

I was rebooked on a delayed 18:10 Gatwick service that landed at BA2878 which landed delayed at 22:20. Am I correct in thinking this qualifies for UK261 £220 + cost of taxi to hotel since the pré-booked transfer was no longer available?

Thank you very much
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonr405
BA450 on 1 July LHR to PMI 16:00-19:25 cancelled one day before departure. Does anyone know the reason?

I was rebooked on a delayed 18:10 Gatwick service that landed at BA2878 which landed delayed at 22:20. Am I correct in thinking this qualifies for UK261 £220 + cost of taxi to hotel since the pré-booked transfer was no longer available?
Cancelled flights are different to delayed flights, so the piece of missing information is the scheduled, not actual, arrival time on the new service.

If you want the reason codes for a cancellation, you best ask within 2 or 3 days, the data is not available after that, more details upthread about that. But on that day, LHR essentially ran out of resources from mid afternoon, and flights were cancelled wholescale. I would take this to be in scope for cancellation compensation, subject to meeting the requisite timescales. The taxi fare is probably OK under RIght to Care, I doubt that will be problematic.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I had a PIT-LHR-BHD, departing BA170 (PIT-LHR) on 29/June/2022 and then originally booked to connect onto BA1416 (LHR-BHD) on 30/June/2022. BA1416 (LHR-BHD) was cancelled, and I was rebooked on arrival to BA1426 (LHR-BHD) which was scheduled and actually did arrive over 6 hours later than the originally scheduled itinerary.

Is this eligible and likely for the standard EU261 GBP250 compensation from BA? I can't find out anywhere whether this was cancelled due to the HAL request to cancel flights or not.

I got a day room at Heathrow so will this be covered by EU261 too? (90GBP)
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It’s too far back to find a cancellation reason for a flight on 30 June. EF only holds that information for a few days. It’s very likely going to to be for BA internal resourcing reasons and therefore yes for compensation. Also compensation should be based on the whole route rather than the sector.

As for the day hotel I think that could be a stretch, but by all means include it in your claim.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Cancelled flights are different to delayed flights, so the piece of missing information is the scheduled, not actual, arrival time on the new service.

If you want the reason codes for a cancellation, you best ask within 2 or 3 days, the data is not available after that, more details upthread about that. But on that day, LHR essentially ran out of resources from mid afternoon, and flights were cancelled wholescale. I would take this to be in scope for cancellation compensation, subject to meeting the requisite timescales. The taxi fare is probably OK under RIght to Care, I doubt that will be problematic.
Thank you CWS. The original scheduled arrival time for the rebooked flight was 21:30, so 2+hrs after the cancellations original arrival time of 19:10. I just want to be sure that BA won't try to reduce the compensation by 50% as it was hugely inconvenient to get to Gatwick vs Heathrow and arrive late into Palma....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.