Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 6, 22, 6:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 5, 21, 1:40 am

Thank you PlaneSpeaking, I've done as you suggest and will update again. As you say, they already have all of the details needed.
Old Aug 5, 21, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I could do with some advice in relation to the impact of flights to Sardinia being cancelled for me later next next and in September.

I had 3 different bookings, all 3 for 3 passengers. All Avios.

Booking 1. Outbound only from LHR on 23/08. Cancellation communicated on 30/07.
Booking 2. Return from LHR. Outbound on 27/08. Inbound on 13/09. Booked with a companion voucher. Cancellation communicated on 03/08. I intend to FTV this one, so technically it should be irrelevant.
Booking 3. Inbound only from CAG on 11/09. Cancellation communicated on 03/08.

I haven't asked for a refund or FTV on any of those bookings yet.

On 01/08, before contacting BA, after checking any options offered in MMB (I knew there would be none), I went ahead and booked an alternative flight with Easyjet on 21/08 to replace booking 1. Not sure if it's relevant, but I booked an extra seat to keep the middle seat empty (no judgement!).

I called BA the other day to enquire about whether they'd be able to offer an alternative flight for booking 3. As I knew already, the answer was no.
  • What path should I take here to avoid being out of pocket?
  • Have I screwed up my chances re booking 1 by going ahead and rebooking ourselves?
Old Aug 5, 21, 5:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So all of these cancellations were done with 2 weeks notice, so no compensation is payable. BA still needs to offer
- a full refund OR
- a rebooking on the next available flight OR
- a rebooking on a mutually acceptable flight.
And I suspect all of that BA will offer, along with the 300 mile rule if you stick to the original dates. The problem with the rebooking options, I guess, is that BA's next flights don't suit your plans, and BA won't rebook on to easyJet in almost all circumstances. BA sometimes do after the event pay for replacement flights with other airlines, either via Customer Relations or via MCOL/CEDR or along the way to MCOL/CEDR. If you want to get BA to refund the replacement flights then you need to first clearly contact BA to say what you want, and note down the details. In advance of travel this will almost always be a decline if it's an LCC. Maybe they will offer another airline option but it's important to give BA the opportunity to fix the issue. Then you pursue BA via CR. CEDR and / or MCOL after completion of travel. I personally don't think it matters if you claim for the refund after the rebooking decline, but you best write in to BA to say that you accept the refund under protest since you believe BA have not adequately rebooked you but you are mitigating your losses ahead of MCOL/CEDR. There is not an absolute right in law to being rebooked on to an alternative carrier but BA can't rebook you within (say) 24 hours of your original booked dates then you have reasonableness, though not certainty, on your side.

If you rebook to totally different dates then all bets are off.
Old Aug 5, 21, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If you rebook to totally different dates then all bets are off.
Thanks CWS. This means that I have no hope to get anything back as far as booking 1 is concerned, as I've already rebooked myself on a different date.

The same should apply to booking 3 (booked for the 11th) if I want to fly on a different date (the 13th).

There should be a door open for the inbound part of the companion voucher booking. Does complicate matters further? Effectively I'd be saying to BA: "I don't expect anything for the outbound leg, because my travel plans have changed, but I still want to fly on the original inbound date, so rebook me please."

From there I'd follow the path you've highlighted.

My concern is whether there is enough lead time to avoid losing the value of the booking altogether. I am not sure how fast BA CR would be with giving me their final answer. Effectively it sounds like there might be a risk of ending up even more out of pocket?
Old Aug 5, 21, 5:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Won't you get a refund for Booking 1?
Old Aug 5, 21, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Won't you get a refund for Booking 1?
Oh yes, at this stage I will. I have a couple of weeks to press the button. Being Avios rich(ish), I wouldn't have wanted to pay cash for another ticket.
Old Aug 5, 21, 6:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup View Post
My concern is whether there is enough lead time to avoid losing the value of the booking altogether. I am not sure how fast BA CR would be with giving me their final answer. Effectively it sounds like there might be a risk of ending up even more out of pocket?
That is indeed the risk, hence me harping on for over a year now that people should be very careful about maybe bookings.

For booking 2 then it should be OK to strike out the sector you don't need, get a refund on that and leave the other section in there, or FTV, or rebook for dates which work better. Obviously FTVs on Avios bookings aren't great, the exception is keeping a companion voucher alive. Indeed if you end up using the companion voucher you would be making better use of it than a short hop to Italy.
Old Aug 5, 21, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
That is indeed the risk, hence me harping on for over a year now that people should be very careful about maybe bookings.

For booking 2 then it should be OK to strike out the sector you don't need, get a refund on that and leave the other section in there, or FTV, or rebook for dates which work better. Obviously FTVs on Avios bookings aren't great, the exception is keeping a companion voucher alive. Indeed if you end up using the companion voucher you would be making better use of it than a short hop to Italy.
I am starting to think that the best option might be to just suck it up and book whatever I want to get back to the UK. I will get back all the Avios and money for #1 and #3 and will get a de facto 2 years' extension on the companion voucher. I used it on short-haul as otherwise it would've expired before we could use it.

Not sure what we'll do with 4 companion vouchers between the 2 of us in the next couple of years, but that'll be a problem for another day
Old Aug 5, 21, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneSpeaking View Post
Hi CosmoCosmo,

I’m in the middle of a CEDR dispute with BA in relation to an involuntary downgrade from F to J (flown) and I agree it can be difficult to know what to do. You can’t accept something that isn’t tangible but equally, there has to be dialogue between the parties to the point of deadlock before an adjudicator can be appointed to decide the merits of both arguments. There should be an option on the home page of your complaint to “talk it out” so if BA are asking for further details to see if they can help, simply reply to this via the talk it out button and ask what further details they might need in order for them to help. Of course, they won’t actually need anything as they’ll already have all the detail and they’ll just string you along before eventually reverting to something scripted which basically says “no”. Do persevere though as yours is an interesting case and you need to reach deadlock in order for the adjudication process to commence. This is my take on the process having only embarked on it once and which I’m currently in the middle of so others on this thread will undoubtedly have more experience and which they will hopefully share with you so you can make an informed decision. Good luck and do keep us posted on your progress.
I've added a response to provide the details of my original booking in the 'Talk it out' section of my dispute in CEDR. However, the home page of the dispute shows the 'accept or reject offer' response selection, with a deadline of tomorrow. Should I select one of the options now so I don't miss the deadline?

UPDATE I received a message from CEDR saying I had to either accept the offer or proceed to adjudication. As BA haven't made an offer, I have selected 'reject offer.'

Last edited by CosmoCosmo; Aug 6, 21 at 2:40 am Reason: Updated
Old Aug 8, 21, 7:28 am

Programs: AA BAEC
"Right to Care" Question.
Hi all, this seems like a minor problem compared to some on here, but I would appreciate any advice.
I have a family member currently in Toronto. The second leg of the return flight (LHR-NCL) was cancelled and re-booked to a flight
4 hours and 50 minutes later. It was done more than 14 days out, so no compensation. Since the original flight had a layover of about 4 hours, they're looking at a full day at the airport. They're flying economy, so no lounge access. I'm assuming they should be eligible for some food vouchers at least? If so, does anyone know when/where should they request them?
Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 8, 21, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bcfan View Post
They're flying economy, so no lounge access. I'm assuming they should be eligible for some food vouchers at least? If so, does anyone know when/where should they request them?
They should ask at the customer service desk by gate 13. That may still result in a decline, in which case keep the receipts and send in a request after travel is complete to Customer Relations. I doubt BA will object to that, it is indeed part of EC261.
Old Aug 11, 21, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, 3MM; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Priority Club Platinum Elite
Compensation if rerouted

Before I contact BA, I wanted to see if someone is able to tell me if I have a right to compensation. I booked tickets on July 12 with the return being OPO-LHR-ORD-DFW set for August 9. Subsequently the OPO-LHR flight was cancelled and thus rebooked OPO-MAD-LHR-ORD-DFW on July 19.

The LHR-ORD flight scheduled departure was at 4:00 pm arriving ORD at 6:40 pm and the ORD-DFW flight scheduled departure at 8:45 pm arriving DFW at 11:08 pm. At some point BA changed the LHR-ORD flight time to departing at 4:25 pm and arriving at 7:05 pm. This, of course, meant I wouldn't meet the minimum connection time in Chicago.

On August 6, I checked MMB and noticed that my LHR-ORD-DFW were no longer listed. I called and at first was told the LHR-ORD flight had been taken out of service, but then the agent put me on hold to "check on something else." When he came back on the line he said that routing was no longer available but he could book the following:
LHR-LAX departing at 6:00 pm arriving LAX at 9:15 pm and then LAX-DFW departing at 11:55 pm arriving DFW at 5:08 am the next morning.

Since BA changed the LHR-ORD departure time and rerouted me so that I arrived at my final airport 6 hours later, is there cause for compensation?

I noticed on my new e-ticket receipt the agent put under the endorsements "Pax invol reroute", if this makes any difference or helps.

I appreciate any guidance.
Old Aug 11, 21, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PANK KP View Post
Since BA changed the LHR-ORD departure time and rerouted me so that I arrived at my final airport 6 hours later, is there cause for compensation?
That looks quite a strong case here, essentially BA didn't notice this trip was no longer viable and therefore rebooked you at short notice. So I think you have a claim and they can't blame this one on COVID. I would make a clear claim for the 600€, which they will decline, blaming COVID. You will not engage with this other than to ask them to confirm that their position will not change, then take it to CEDR.
Old Aug 12, 21, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, 3MM; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Priority Club Platinum Elite
Thanks, cws. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Aug 14, 21, 1:18 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Just a quick question.. can I claim compensation if I chose not to fly due to a massive delay?

BA1321 NCL-LHR 06:05 did not fly as some of the cockpit screens were broken and need replacing. The captain said estimated 6 hours delay and they might just put everyone on BA1327 at 11:00 instead. This delay was too long so I told the staff I am just going to catch a train instead (now getting into kings cross at 10:40).

I now received a text saying I have been proactively moved to BA1327 but the original BA1321 is showing as delayed to 11am rather than cancelled.

I want to claim the 250EUR compensation but wondered if by choosing not to fly, this will cause an issue? If BA1321 is cancelled then I am pretty sure I would be fine but not sure if it is just massively delayed.

Search this Thread