Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yesterday industrial action - No.

Today OPEY - operational - Yes.
Thanks!
do we know what industrial action there may have been that cancelled a flight out of London and back?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
German ATC I think
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:21 am

Set off for the 18:05 LHR-MAN and received an email notifying me that the flight has been cancelled and been put on 22:05 flight. Assume I will be due compensation? I will not be able to get a train home, can I ask BA to pay for a taxi?

Just as addition, BA would have known yesterday how many flights they would have to cancel today, why leave it until the afternoon when customers would have started their journey to the airport 😡

Last edited by ademanuele; Jul 1, 2022 at 7:32 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Your MAN cancellation was inspired by problems this morning with Amadeus. You can claim a taxi if you can't do the trip by train anymore, when it was a reasonable expectation at the time you were booked. Usually this i capped at Ł50 but depending on your circumstances they may pay more. It's open to discussion whether this is EC261 eligible, it's down as OPER rather than OPEN or OPEY. Try to get on the 21:05 if space opens.
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:17 am

Your MAN cancellation was inspired by problems this morning with Amadeus. You can claim a taxi if you can't do the trip by train anymore, when it was a reasonable expectation at the time you were booked. Usually this i capped at Ł50 but depending on your circumstances they may pay more. It's open to discussion whether this is EC261 eligible, it's down as OPER rather than OPEN or OPEY. Try to get on the 21:05 if space opens.
Thanks for the reply. 9pm flight was not an option when I rebooked but I checked at the airport and am now on standby.

This flight is obviously jinxed, has been cancelled three times now, was originally on tomorrow's 2pm flight and cancelled on 2nd May, today's 2.10 pm flight cancelled on 23rd June, and todays flight cancelled a few hours ago 🤦🏻‍♂️

I could not find any info on differences between OPER, OPEY and OPEN? Also, is there a link to what happened with Amadeus?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ademanuele
I could not find any info on differences between OPER, OPEY and OPEN? Also, is there a link to what happened with Amadeus?
That's a few posts upthread but in summary they are all operational codes, Y means yes to EC261, N means no, and OPER means EC261 status is not declared.

1 Jul : global Amadeus issue, affecting travel agents and airlines, including BA
ademanuele likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:00 am

That's a few posts upthread but in summary they are all operational codes, Y means yes to EC261, N means no, and OPER means EC261 status is not declared.

1 Jul : global Amadeus issue, affecting travel agents and airlines, including BA
Thanks. I am third on the waitlist so not hopeful...

Got through to BA on the telephone, apparently Amadeus was only down for an hour and the person I spoke to did not think it was due to this.

I suspect this is down to Heathrow asking airlines to cancel flights again, if this is the case, where does this sit with EC261, surely BA must make the decision which flights to cancel thus take responsibility, particularly as they left it so late to inform customers (they did not send me a text, only an email that arrived at 12.43pm)? As mentioned, this is the third time this flight has been cancelled.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ademanuele
I suspect this is down to Heathrow asking airlines to cancel flights again, if this is the case, where does this sit with EC261, surely BA must make the decision which flights to cancel thus take responsibility, particularly as they left it so late to inform customers (they did not send me a text, only an email that arrived at 12.43pm)? As mentioned, this is the third time this flight has been cancelled.
Indeed these are the arguments that you can deploy and they are not bad arguments either. Just I wouldn't spend the money yet, it may take some effort.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:51 am

Indeed these are the arguments that you can deploy and they are not bad arguments either. Just I wouldn't spend the money yet, it may take some effort.
Wish me luck 😀 I will not have a choice but to get a taxi if I can not get the 9pm flight..
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:16 am

Hi all,

My wife, child and my flight BA373 from Toulouse to Heathrow on Monday, 20th June 2022 was cancelled 12 hours before departure, connecting on to to the Tuesday, 21st June 2022, BA173 to New York JFK as the final destination (stop over just under 24 hours in London).

The next flight that BA offered was the BA373 on Wednesday, 22nd June 2022 (there was a flight on Tuesday 21st but was completely full), resulting in us missing our original flight through to New York JFK, and being offered instead the BA113 to New York JFK on the Wednesday 22, June 2022.

I submitted a claim for EC261 compensation and received the following response:

We're sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight to London on 20 June. Your claim's been refused because BA0373 on 20 June was cancelled because we were asked by Heathrow Airport Limited to cancel several flights, due to ongoing staffing issues at London Heathrow. Unfortunately, your flight was one of those that was cancelled. We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.
Having read the thread carefully, feel like I should escalate this to CEDR or MCOL, but before I do, wanted to check that I am not being daft. Could someone help me with (1) the reason for the cancellation (2) has any one else have similar fact patterns and had more success with BA in the first instance, or have you had to go down the CEDR / MCOL route?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
BA109 LHR to Dubai 30 June 2022

The evening flight to Dubai BA109 was delayed by 45 mins last night at Heathrow due to late arrival of the aircraft on stand from maintenance. As a result we lost our slot and thanks to German ATC didn't take off from LHR until around 12:30 am (well after the scheduled 9:15 departure) and arrived in Dubai 3h 9 mins late

Is there any point seeking EU261 or will it be determined that German ATC was responsible for most of the delay?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:47 am

A friend of mine submitted an EC261 claim to BA in respected of a flight from LHR to WAW which was cancelled 2 days prior. The flights should have taken place on 2nd April 2022. He had no option but to decline then offer of a flight a few days later so he accepted a refund and flew with another airline to Poland. He still submitted an EC261 claim given the short notice of the cancellation, the reason for which was BA's mass cull of flights owing to their staff shortages. He received the standard acknowledgement email with a reference number, this was back in early April. There is no facility to track submitted EC261 claims ((like there is on easyJet) so, given it has now been 3 months, he phoned the call centre yesterday. They however said straight away they cannot help and to 'go online'. What can he do, he's on a tight budget and really needs the Ł220 to fund the new flight he had to buy. I'm trying my best to help him and was looking at CEDR but CEDR says that all avenues must have been exhausted with the airline. What can he do, there's nobody it seems at BA he can talk to, and no ability to track his case reference online?
Many thanks
James
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheFlyingRabbit
Having read the thread carefully, feel like I should escalate this to CEDR or MCOL, but before I do, wanted to check that I am not being daft. Could someone help me with (1) the reason for the cancellation (2) has any one else have similar fact patterns and had more success with BA in the first instance, or have you had to go down the CEDR / MCOL route?
Yes I agree you should escalate. The key question is - were there flights on other airlines- Delta, Air France and so on, on Monday or Tuesday that could have got you to NYC but BA didn't offer them to you? Did you check this at the time via Google Flights for example? Since if that was the case you would have a solid case. Then there are arguments to be had as to whether it was HAL or BA that decided all of this and whether it absolutely had to be your flight. So two factors there.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ned1968
Is there any point seeking EU261 or will it be determined that German ATC was responsible for most of the delay?
That one is hopeless in my view.
Ned1968 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimkwatson
I'm trying my best to help him and was looking at CEDR but CEDR says that all avenues must have been exhausted with the airline. What can he do, there's nobody it seems at BA he can talk to, and no ability to track his case reference online?
After 8 weeks he can go to CEDR, so I guess that's about now. There are quite a lot of data points upthread about this, the gist of which is that CEDR is not going to be fast either but he will get more tracking of progress. MCOL he could do straight away if speed is of the essence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.