Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by clem1604
I have a trip planned Chicago to LHR in club in May 2021 with Avios, specially for the flower show. It was booked back in Jun 2020. Now with the flower show postponed and all the quarantine requirement in place, I wish to change or cancel my tickets. I don't want to attend the show in September but will most likely in 2022 show. But that would put my travel past the April 30, 2022, what option do I have, and would BA likely to allow voucher to use beyond the April 2022? Any suggestion be appreciate before I pick up the phone to call center.
As things stand, your best bet is to wait until at least 2 weeks before departure, in the hope that BA will cancel your flight. If you cancel now, and assuming your original flights are shown as operating, your options are a FTV, currently expiring in April 2022, or a voluntary refund, which would cost £35 per person maximum - everything else would be refunded. If BA cancel any service on your booking you can have a full refund. Generally speaking, with plenty of exceptions, BA cancels services up to 2 weeks before departure. So your best bet is to do nothing to save the £35.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Sorry about the confusion, I did fly my original flights, just at the end of the day involuntarily downgraded from First to Club World. In between flights to and from Dubai got cancelled, and then reinstated albeit without a First cabin.
That is clearer. But usually you get a refund for the downgrade (and if you look at the EC261 thread, you will see in the wiki a complex area known as the Mennens Formula, which is what you should get back, but BA will use a different fomula which may give you more than this, or alternatively less). But TPs and Avios are awarded for actual travel. Logically you could ask for no refund in return for the higher TPs and Avios, but I don't think that's how the system works. On the other hand if this is important for qualification purposes, then at the appropriate time you can contact BAEC as ask that the downgrade is taken into account, but that is a separate process.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Got a link from the Twitter team that let me send the complaint in online. We'll see what happens as thing go on. Issue with the downgrade is that it happened two months out and I seem to remember that First was actually cheaper than Club World originally.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD G, A3*G, AA, CX, HHilton Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As things stand, your best bet is to wait until at least 2 weeks before departure, in the hope that BA will cancel your flight. If you cancel now, and assuming your original flights are shown as operating, your options are a FTV, currently expiring in April 2022, or a voluntary refund, which would cost £35 per person maximum - everything else would be refunded. If BA cancel any service on your booking you can have a full refund. Generally speaking, with plenty of exceptions, BA cancels services up to 2 weeks before departure. So your best bet is to do nothing to save the £35.
Thank you for the clarification, very helpful advice, safe travel, or home
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:53 pm

Are people changing bookings to later on in the year or just cancelling for full refund.

i booked on 50% off avios and can keep the same offer if i return before 6th october.

not sure if travel will be allowed by then?
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ams_sxi
Are people changing bookings to later on in the year or just cancelling for full refund.

i booked on 50% off avios and can keep the same offer if i return before 6th october.

Was in the same position as you. Have cancelled since unlikely to travel before that despite being tempted due to the 50% off Avios. Still waiting on the refund although the 241 voucher and Avios were back in the account almost instantly.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm going to be running up against 12-month validity on my next cancelation-driven shift forward of a ticket with an attractive fare. Is it time to give up and cash in, or is there some way round ticket-death?
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm going to be running up against 12-month validity on my next cancelation-driven shift forward of a ticket with an attractive fare. Is it time to give up and cash in, or is there some way round ticket-death?
I've wondered if re-ticketing might reset the clock but I've not seen any feedback on that yet.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
MMB sometimes lets you book beyond (apparently) but this has not worked for any of my bookings from 2020. So it was time to get my money/Avios/ 241 etc back since BA wouldn’t let me book beyond 12 months ticket validity.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by ams_sxi

I'm in the same boat , pushed my ticket out to end Sept but am not hopeful (Singapore) but I'm not in need of the Avios right now so will just sit on it and wait and see.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
[QUOTE=wilsnunn;32970032]

If I want BA to reroute me as soon as possible then I assume that they will put me on the first flight available on BA which is BA0012 on 3 March. Then BA would be on the hook for my hotel from 26th Feb - 3rd Mar.

Otherwise I can rebook to any available BA SIN-LHR flight within ticket validity.
Similar situation for me in SIN currently I also used the 50% off Avios sale to get here (and hopefully back)- though I have noted today that the 3 March flight I had previously moved a cancelled Feb departure to has itself been cancelled overnight, and so I have moved it to the next closest available to me- tellingly this is on 1st April. Shows a sense of humour. One thing I did note was that whilst the BA website itself shows availability to book for £ or Avios on plenty of dates prior to the 1st April, they do not show as available for me to move my redemption booking to.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Hotcat1970
Similar situation for me in SIN currently I also used the 50% off Avios sale to get here (and hopefully back)- though I have noted today that the 3 March flight I had previously moved a cancelled Feb departure to has itself been cancelled overnight, and so I have moved it to the next closest available to me- tellingly this is on 1st April. Shows a sense of humour. One thing I did note was that whilst the BA website itself shows availability to book for £ or Avios on plenty of dates prior to the 1st April, they do not show as available for me to move my redemption booking to.
I haven't rebooked myself yet, but looks like I can rebook onto the 29th onwards. Highly doubt they will be running two flights a day then though!

Last edited by wilsnunn; Jan 28, 2021 at 2:28 am
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Spoke to a wonderful agent in Warrington today about linking a return to a 241 booking . We ended up chatting about all sorts of stuff and he told me that he had just had an email to say FTVs will now be valid to end April 2023 . Hope this is useful
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Curious one - have a LHR-JFK-LAX booking with BA on BA's flight numbers. The JFK-LAX sector has dropped out of the booking and when I look at EF it appears BA no longer codeshare on that JFK-LAX flight, but the AA flight is still running (at present) with seats available for purchase. Would that count as a cancelation in BA's eyes and thus allow me to move the entire booking or request a refund or will they eventually just move me to the AA flight number and argue it is not a cancelation?

Pilot37
Old Jan 29, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: BA
Could someone clear something up for me and apologies if this has been covered many times in the past. Depression from lock down made me step away from Forums and I've tried scanning for answers but not found them

We were due to fly to Orlando in March this year booked at 355 using Amex 2-4-1 Companion voucher. The flights have just been cancelled.

We'd already decided we weren't going this year and going to delay until April 2022 (hopefully they'll be some normality by then), I remember before (months ago) someone mentioning that if a reward flight is cancelled you could move to another flight even without reward availability, is this still true and if so could we push it back a year or is that going to stretch it too far?

If it is possible do I just leave my current booking with the cancelled flights and then move them once the new flights are released?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.