Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:34 am

Thanks KARFA - and is 'ticket validity' 12 months from the date the original booking was made?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmoCosmo
Thanks KARFA - and is 'ticket validity' 12 months from the date the original booking was made?
yes that is correct
CosmoCosmo likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
But be aware that most call center agents will not allow you to rebook a BA 50% off Avios ticket beyond 30 June 21 (end of promo period when these tickets were booked in Oct).

(Technically, you can book beyond 30 June but you will be asked to pay the Avios balance to an ordinary Avios ticket - and most agents will most likely also insist that Avios availability needs to be present)
CosmoCosmo likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 7:06 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I have a BA Holidays booking where I used 2 E-vouchers as the deposit. They totalled about £1,765 (were in EUR, this was the GBP equivalent for the holiday booking), however as I understand is normal, there is no record of that amount in the booking - it just shows zero paid, and the amount outstanding is the holiday cost less the Vouchers value.

So - will I get the BAH bonus Avios on the true cost of the holiday, or just on the balance paid? Personally I think I should get the bonus for the full holiday cost - it's not like I've earned anything from the money tied up in the vouchers... but I'm curious if anyone knows if there is a rule here or if anyone has practical experience of this situation...?

thanks
RC
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
No idea where to put this but...

I've a friend flying tomorrow LHR-DEL flight in WTP.

Plane has switched from 788 to 777-300. As expected he can't online check in, but the Indian turns require a seat number to be entered. I'm telling him to pick a WTP seat number at random, no other choice.

There are 2 x variations I can see with very different WTP rows. Can anyone advise which plane is flying tomorrow and I'll get him to pick an appropriate seat and request it at check in.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I've a friend flying tomorrow LHR-DEL flight in WTP.

Plane has switched from 788 to 777-300. As expected he can't online check in, but the Indian turns require a seat number to be entered. I'm telling him to pick a WTP seat number at random, no other choice.

There are 2 x variations I can see with very different WTP rows. Can anyone advise which plane is flying tomorrow and I'll get him to pick an appropriate seat and request it at check in.
ExpertFlyer is your friend for questions like this:
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LHR on 27/01/21 for DEL
Flying BA flight 143 in Premium Economy

A   B       D   E   F   G       J   K   
21  W               X   X   X   X               W   
22  E   -   X       X   X   X   X       X   -   E   
23  W   X   -       X   X   X   X       X   X   W   
24  W   -   -       X   X   X   X       -   X   W   
25  W   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   W   
26  W   X   X       X   X   X   X       X   X   W   
        A   B       D   E   F   G       J   K   
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, Mods, please move if needed:

Original ticket LAX-LHR-DXB and return in First.
LAX-LHR changed no big deal, I just slummed in LAX for an extra couple of hours.

LHR- DXB - LHR originally in First on BA105/104 on the 787, flights cancelled and then came back on the A350 with no F,

Called in to rework the flight to stay in F and was told that since the rework required codeshare flights with AA nothing could be done since I had "accepted" the new flights which I hadn't been able to access the booking from where I was (ship LAN way to slow)

Excellent CS Rep at LHR put notes in the file after I showed him the original receipt and he confirmed that there was no changes/acceptance from my end before my conversation with the phone agent.

Still haven't heard a word from the Twitter team for a week and calling from the US just gets a message and then a hang up. There's no other contact information that I can find on the website from here.

Anybody got a contact email / twitter/ weblink that might work?

Many Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ttuna3
Excellent CS Rep at LHR put notes in the file after I showed him the original receipt and he confirmed that there was no changes/acceptance from my end before my conversation with the phone agent.
I am not clear what happened at this point: did the Contact Centre agent rebook you according to your needs or not? What do you want to see happen? Broadly speaking unless it's a very simple change, Twitter is not your friend here, you best call up, perhaps early on a Saturday morning UK time, whien it usually is quiet.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
ExpertFlyer is your friend for questions like this:
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing LHR on 27/01/21 for DEL
Flying BA flight 143 in Premium Economy

A B D E F G J K
21 W X X X X W
22 E - X X X X X X - E
23 W X - X X X X X X W
24 W - - X X X X - X W
25 W X X X X X X X X W
26 W X X X X X X X X W
A B D E F G J K
Ta, I have access to a GDS but there was no access to the flight for some reason. I gather the planes been changed a few times, upgraded to a 777-300 with variations, some so they can fly return crew back out in the 1st cabin. Fun times. Cheers!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:33 pm

Hello C-W-S,

I'm assuming it was First Connect that gave me the line that "You've accepted the Changes" line and refused to rebook me only cancel the flight(s).. It was on a different 1-800 number in my confirmation email than what I get from the website.

The phone issue is that it just gives me a speech about protecting our colleagues, refering me to the website and then hanging up.

I'll try again later in the week but I'm not optimistic about getting through to anybody.

Many Thanks
ttuna3

Last edited by ttuna3; Jan 26, 2021 at 2:36 pm Reason: Senior Moment
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'll try again later in the week but I'm not optimistic about getting through to anybody.
If you can, ring one of the Bremen call centre numbers (e.g. Czech Republic) during the European mid morning, they don't seem to have too much queuing. In fact compared to late last year it's been a while since this forum has seen complaints about queues. It is the case that sometimes the phone lines won't take additional calls, but usually that clears after a few minutes. The telephone numbers are here:
ba.com/contact
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:07 pm

Thanks again C-W-S,

All I want is the Tier Points and Avios from the original reservation. Both First Connect and the LHR CS told me that I'd need to talk to BAEC CS to work things out and I was just waiting for the AA connections to show up.

Thanks again for your help
Old Jan 26, 2021, 3:18 pm

All I want is the Tier Points and Avios from the original reservation.
I'm still somewhat confused, but reading between the lines, to get TPs and Avios you need to fly the flights concerned. If you don't fly then you don't earn, and if you ask a contact centre agent about that then they will invite you to contact Customer Relations after travel is completed. Depending on the specific circumstances, Customer Relations still won't give you TPs or Avios for unflown sectors, but will facilitate a part refund. Customer Relations are contacted via webforms on BA.com though you can call Customer Relations from the link above. YouFirst could also transfer the call to Customer Relations, but they often just send a note to them, and Customer Relations would email back after a week or two.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:50 pm

Sorry about the confusion, I did fly my original flights, just at the end of the day involuntarily downgraded from First to Club World. In between flights to and from Dubai got cancelled, and then reinstated albeit without a First cabin.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD G, A3*G, AA, CX, HHilton Plat
I have a trip planned Chicago to LHR in club in May 2021 with Avios, specially for the flower show. It was booked back in Jun 2020. Now with the flower show postponed and all the quarantine requirement in place, I wish to change or cancel my tickets. I don't want to attend the show in September but will most likely in 2022 show. But that would put my travel past the April 30, 2022, what option do I have, and would BA likely to allow voucher to use beyond the April 2022? Any suggestion be appreciate before I pick up the phone to call center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.