Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:51 pm

Hi all, not so much covid related anymore but a rebooking nonetheless.

Had my flight DXB-LHR cancelled. It's the return leg of a trip. There are two more the same day but I was not offered either. Both show availability in my class of travel (WTP) DXB-LHR on ba.com, so I rang up. Now being told that there are seats available but only to the UAE market and I booked the UK market. Gold line tried emailing revenue management but to no avail. I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to rerouting at my convenience subject to availability. Rules don't make mention of wether BA is allowed to restrict said availability to the UAE market...

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
Hi all, not so much covid related anymore but a rebooking nonetheless.

Had my flight DXB-LHR cancelled. It's the return leg of a trip. There are two more the same day but I was not offered either. Both show availability in my class of travel (WTP) DXB-LHR on ba.com, so I rang up. Now being told that there are seats available but only to the UAE market and I booked the UK market. Gold line tried emailing revenue management but to no avail. I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to rerouting at my convenience subject to availability. Rules don't make mention of wether BA is allowed to restrict said availability to the UAE market...

Any suggestions?
phone again, ask to speak to a supervisor and say eu 261 applies and you'll complain to competition and markets authority if they don't rebook you.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec
I’d appreciate some clarification on my options with the following.

I purchased a simple, one way flight from LHR to MXP in ET, on ba.com on 16/07/22 (so after BWC had ended). It’s an Economy Plus fare (non-refundable). The flight is scheduled to operate on 22/08/22.

A portion of the fare was paid using an evoucher, the remainder with credit card.

My work plans have changed and I no longer need to travel.

As the flight is still scheduled to operate, am I correct in thinking a cancellation request will result in the issue of another evoucher to the value of the previous evoucher, with the balance of the fare non-refundable ?

I suppose my other option is to wait until the day before to see whether the flight is cancelled, before requesting a voluntary cancellation?

Last edited by Bar Operator; Aug 13, 2022 at 1:17 pm Reason: Detail
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bar Operator
<br />As the flight is still scheduled to operate, am I correct in thinking a cancellation request will result in the issue of another evoucher to the value of the previous evoucher, with the balance of the fare non-refundable ?
I think you would get either a single eVoucher for the whole amount spent; or 2 eVouchers representing voucher spend and credit card spend. Both with a September 2023 deadline. There is a neo BWC on at the moment. The alternative is to change the dates, but a change fee is potentially chargeable. But yes, by all means wait to see if it's cancelled, then you have more options, though I suspect it is unlikely now, subject to any LHR meltdowns.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Exec
Many thanks CWS, very helpful as always.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EP, Bonvoy Ambassador, United, Delta
is BA showing any signs of extended evoucher expiration dates? I have two that expire Sept 2023 - yes a long ways off but I am not sure I'll be able to use them by then due to personal circumstances
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wander19
is BA showing any signs of extended evoucher expiration dates? I have two that expire Sept 2023 - yes a long ways off but I am not sure I'll be able to use them by then due to personal circumstances
My guess, and that it is all it could be given that BA hasn't released a single flight for September 2023, is that the airline will not extend unless something dire happens again. If you have an online eVoucher starting 125-4 then you can let someone else use it.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
My guess, and that it is all it could be given that BA hasn't released a single flight for September 2023, is that the airline will not extend unless something dire happens again. If you have an online eVoucher starting 125-4 then you can let someone else use it.
Flights arent released for September 2023 is because BA only release flights for sale 355 days in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Have an odd one on an upcoming trip to AMS. I've already had my outbound cancelled and rebooked it several weeks ago, but the inbound has just been cancelled which I could fix online but my partner who's joining me for the weekend couldn't. I suspect because his outbound was also cancelled so he had to phone up to get it fixed.
He's now on the silly o'clock flight in the morning as everything else was full, unsurprisingly.

What's odd those is he seems to have found himself reticketed in Y and a full 40 tier points for what was a cheap HBO booking. No mention of any extra payment needed either.
I've still got my 10 🤣 Should have rung up too!
Old Aug 20, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
On speed of EU/261 payment from BA: BA8751 BHD/LCY cancelled at less than 24 hrs notice, on 3 August 2022. Online claim submitted 12 August. Email today from BA confirming £211 will be paid. (I didn't claim anything else.) But in late July, I submitted several other online claims for BA cancellations on the same route in late June and July and have still not yet received any update on any of those. Some of those are for EU/261 compensation only and others include ROC expenses.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Request advice from anyone knowledgeable on EU/261 please: same fact pattern as above i.e. BA8751 BHD/LCY 0645/0820 cancelled at less than 24 hours notice on another day in early August. I accepted instead BA1427 BHD/LHR 0650/0815 on the same date. The difference is arrival into LHR instead of LCY. Is any compensation due under EU/261?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by southsquare
Request advice from anyone knowledgeable on EU/261 please: same fact pattern as above i.e. BA8751 BHD/LCY 0645/0820 cancelled at less than 24 hours notice on another day in early August. I accepted instead BA1427 BHD/LHR 0650/0815 on the same date. The difference is arrival into LHR instead of LCY. Is any compensation due under EU/261?
No, I don't see a case here, indeed it seems a scenario where BA has minimised the problems to you. You may be able to claim any additional transport costs relating to LCY versus LHR.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:22 am
Suspended

Have had a flight to Bologna get cancelled. The best option for me timewise is to rebook to Rome. My understanding is this is fine as long as there is positive space in the cabin and fare class availability is irrelevant?

The issue is I want to rent a car and not sure if I can do a one way rental car in Italy so would also want to change the return to fly back from Rome (my return from Bologna has not been cancelled, yet….). Is this doable?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:34 am

BA reward flight - in the event of a cancellation

What happens if British Airways cancels one of my reward flights - do they automatically rebook me on the closest flight even if there are no more reward bookings left on that flight?

I have a reward booking with British Airways in October (TLV to ABZ with a layover in LHR on the outbound and return).

They just canceled the ABZ to LHR on the way back, and I couldn't select an alternative flight online. So I called them, and they rebooked me onto another flight - I had already checked, and there was one award seat left. After they did the rebooking, I checked, and there were no more available reward seats on that flight.

My question is hypothetical but concerned about what would happen if they cancel any more of my flights (it's a 4 flight booking) and there are no more award seats on any of the alternative flights on offer.
  • Do they then cancel the entire booking, or will they rebook you onto any other available flight even if there are no award seats left to book on that flight?

PS I'm a Bronze member if it makes any difference!
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
They will rebook you on any ba flight where there is space in the same cabin as long as you aren’t wanting to move there date more than -3/+14 days. You aren’t restricted to just flights with reward availability.
ShalomDavid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.