Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 22, 9:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 5, 22, 6:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davem4 View Post
I have a canceled BA LHR-GIB-LHR flight from 2020 ... never selected refund or credits. So I understand I can rebook?

Given how crazy fares are at the moment, where do I stand for rebooking? There is basically nothing at the 150quid price point I paid? Or can I select any available flights in my class given that it was BA cancelation?
yes if you never accepted anything and just left it you haven't exhausted your right to a involuntary change yet.

see above, current policy is -3/+14 days from the original date as long as there is space in the cabin, and beyond that you need same selling class. may be worth trying to do it via the disruption page which should still show if you go in to the booking.
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by thomasd21 View Post
What do you think they mean? It says absolutely nowhere that the fare difference must be charged. The wording reads almost identically to the -3/+14 wording, save rebooking in the lowest class available. Are we supposed to infer that one set of wording means charge a fare difference and the other doesn’t?
Option 1 = -3 to plus 14 days. No refare, just availability needed.
Option 2 = other dates but same booking class. No refare.
If you are in a different booking class it follows there is a refare.
rjn21, KARFA, Anonba and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Option 1 = -3 to plus 14 days. No refare, just availability needed.
Option 2 = other dates but same booking class. No refare.
If you are in a different booking class it follows there is a refare.
Ok, that makes sense! Thank you for laying it out clearly and sensibly CWS
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:47 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
yes if you never accepted anything and just left it you haven't exhausted your right to a involuntary change yet.

see above, current policy is -3/+14 days from the original date as long as there is space in the cabin, and beyond that you need same selling class. may be worth trying to do it via the disruption page which should still show if you go in to the booking.

Error

• Sorry, we are unable to find your booking. Please check the following:
    • Booking Reference - this is a series of six letters and numbers. Help me find my booking reference.
    • Last name of passenger - this needs to be entered with the same spelling
No reference to fare class only Endorsements Pax nonref/hbo -z0r
There is no Z or R class in Y so I doubt it is that.
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:49 am

What were the flight dates of the booking originally?

No reference to fare class only Endorsements Pax nonref/hbo -z0r
There is no Z or R class in Y so I doubt it is that.
Not quite sure what you mean by this? The policies are set out above and I have summarised them for you in my post.
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
standard guidelines is any selling class within -3/+14 days, and same selling class outside those dates + any fare difference.

covid guidelines, now revoked, is rebook up to ticket validity and no need for same selling class.
The + any fare difference line was the confusion here
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:52 am

What were the flight dates of the booking originally?

Not quite sure what you mean by this? The policies are set out above and I have summarised them for you in my post.
Original flight dates: 5 Dec 2020; Canceled (inbound and outbound) by BA on 07 Nov 2020. So i need to look for same bucket availability.

My receipt/booking confirmation has no fare bucket that I can identify.

Record locator doesn't load in the system.
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:54 am

Original flight dates: 5 Dec 2020; Canceled (inbound and outbound) by BA on 07 Nov 2020. So i need to look for same bucket availability.

My receipt/booking confirmation has no fare bucket that I can identify.

Record locator doesn't load in the system.
Ah, well that is the problem. Your booking is long expunged from the customer system I am afraid, although an agent may be able to find it on the archive systems.

In fact I am not clear what options are available since you are well beyond ticket validity now so realistically you may have no rebooking options - I am at a loss what to advise here tbh.
Anonba and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:57 am

Ah, well that is the problem. Your booking is long expunged from the customer system I am afraid, although an agent may be able to find it on the archive systems.

In fact I am not clear what options are available since you are well beyond ticket validity now so realistically you may have no rebooking options - I am at a loss what to advise here tbh.
Damm, well at a minimum a refund. Would have been great to be able to rebook!

No mention of time limits here.

Old Jul 5, 22, 7:18 am

Claim a full refund will be the only option as outside ticket validity and flights were cancelled.
Old Jul 7, 22, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by welshwiz View Post
Sorry to repeat my question as CWS kindly advised that I should be allowed to drop the first leg of an ex EU booking as BA cancelled my flight but have I waited too long and rules have recently changed?

An agent at BAH Europe has told me that I am not allowed to drop a cancelled BRU-LHR leg or change to a different gateway as the starting flight will then be a different country so she would have to re-price the itinerary which obviously would be a huge hike ex LHR last minute. The booking was originally made last year and re-booked when all original flights were cancelled. Is the change of gateway a standard term and still in place rather than a covid policy? I said I was happy to change gateway to MAN as I'd actually like the tier points but she said that it's not allowed!

I said I would call back tomorrow once I've read up on it:

Details of my booking below:

22/7/2022 BRU-LHR BA0399 Sofitel 22/7/2022

23/7/2022 LHR-MIA BA0207
06/8/2022 MIA - LHR BA0206
08/8/2022 LHR-LUX BA0416

The first 3 flights of my ex EU trip have been cancelled. I've been auto rebooked onto AA57/AA56 (on a 772 with Collins Super Diamond seats I think) for the long haul sectors which is fine as times are very similar but I'm not sure whether I'll be covered by EU261 homebound so maybe I should request the later BA homebound flight (on an A380) which is still operating at the moment.

The BRU-LHR sector has been auto rebooked onto BA 0403 which lands at LHR at 21.55. rather than 19.40 for BA 0399 which I originally booked so would mean not a lot of sleep before the long haul sector, so I'd rather not take that flight so long as they don't reprice the trip! The TP would come in handy but with so many cancellations I'd rather keep the trip as simple as possible.

I haven't accepted any changes yet but think I'll be allowed to have the BRU-LHR sector removed without repricing under the 300 mile rule? I just want to double check before I call as when I originally rebooked due to 2021 cancellations the agent told me that the trip would need to be repriced and that they could only move it +14 days! This was resolved but I'd rather be certain of my options before calling Bremen.

This is a BAH booking with a hotel for a night at LHR and the trip has been rebooked from last summer so I'm not sure what the ticket validity is on the new flights, is it a year from the reissue date?

Thanks in advance for any advice or confirmation of possible options.
UPDATE: BAH would not allow a change of gateway.

Rebooked onto BA0393 and now that has just been cancelled at 15 days out infact all BRU-LHR flights have been cancelled with just the option of BA0389 07.05 - 07.20 left which would give us over 24 hours layover in LHR which I did not think was allowed due to APD issues? They are totally unwilling to allow us to drop the BRU-LHR leg or change to a different gateway (I think BAH rules are different to BA's). Any ideas of what else I can do? It looks like I'm stuck with the 07.05 flight on 22/7 as they won't even let me move it to 23/7 as we have Sofitel booked for 22/7? I don't want to cancel at this late stage as we now have hotels, car hire, cruise etc booked. Looks like it will be a very long journey if we have to leave BRU at 07.05 and not arrive in Miami until late the following afternoon.
Old Jul 7, 22, 6:41 am

One of my flights in late August has just been cancelled (part of a two-flight itinerary) but when I log on using my PNR and name to the "Disruption Recovery" page that usually allows me to select alternative flights/dates, I only get the following:

Your itinerary: You can find a different flight.

​​​​
Can I change or cancel my booking?Please contact us to change or cancel your trip or if we can help with your booking.

Information on rights under EU Regulation 261 for delayed and cancelled flights can be viewed here.
I've not had this before - is this because the system cannot find any alternatives it would let me rebook onto? Or has the online rebooking tool been somehow turned off (generally or in this case)?

I assume this means I'll need to ring up to try to arrange an alternative, which I can't say I'm looking forward to given how long it's taken to get through recently...
Old Jul 7, 22, 6:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by welshwiz View Post
Rebooked onto BA0393 and now that has just been cancelled at 15 days out infact all BRU-LHR flights have been cancelled with just the option of BA0389 07.05 - 07.20 left which would give us over 24 hours layover in LHR which I did not think was allowed due to APD issues? They are totally unwilling to allow us to drop the BRU-LHR leg or change to a different gateway (I think BAH rules are different to BA's). Any ideas of what else I can do? It looks like I'm stuck with the 07.05 flight on 22/7 as they won't even let me move it to 23/7 as we have Sofitel booked for 22/7? I don't want to cancel at this late stage as we now have hotels, car hire, cruise etc booked. Looks like it will be a very long journey if we have to leave BRU at 07.05 and not arrive in Miami until late the following afternoon.
The APD factor isn't a problem when there are IRROPs, it become irrelevant to the process, so long as it's an involuntary move. And to be honest, in the context of everything else, if this just a same day move that's probably as good as it gets even if it is a long trip to MIA.
Old Jul 7, 22, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by squawk View Post
I've not had this before - is this because the system cannot find any alternatives it would let me rebook onto? Or has the online rebooking tool been somehow turned off (generally or in this case)?
Yes, but leave it overnight, we often see this "no flights available" problem from those in this forum who I know to micro-manage be eagle eyed with changes. It gives the impression of being real time, but there is actually a database build aspect to this screen and so sometimes it doesn't pick things up for a few hours, particularly when there are lots of cancellation. By all means check the schedules to see what is operating and ring up if you want to force the issue. Also if your ticket has already been changed a few times it may need a call anyway.
ba.com/schedule
squawk likes this.
Old Jul 7, 22, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes, but leave it overnight, we often see this "no flights available" problem from those in this forum who I know to micro-manage be eagle eyed with changes. It gives the impression of being real time, but there is actually a database build aspect to this screen and so sometimes it doesn't pick things up for a few hours, particularly when there are lots of cancellation. By all means check the schedules to see what is operating and ring up if you want to force the issue. Also if your ticket has already been changed a few times it may need a call anyway.
ba.com/schedule
Thanks CWS, this one was new to me - it's always shown me the calendar with alternatives in the past even when it says there aren't flights on that specific day, but there are on other days. Maybe I've just been quicker than usual to log in and check.

The ticket has definitely been changed a few times (It was departing NCL, and it's now departing EDI - it is the London-xxx leg that's been cancelled in this case), and looking at the schedules it might be that the LHR-xxx needs rebooking as LHR-yyy instead so would require a call anyhow. Will take a closer look tomorrow.

Search this Thread