Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Our June flights LHR-HND (two one-ways) have both been cancelled. Not unexpected but disconcerting to find out by a chance check on the BA app yesterday evening. It was the seat number disappearing suddenly that made me go to MMB. There was nothing on the list of bookings to give a clue.
It's an Avios booking with LLoyds Upgrade Voucher so I will await the email from them when I will question extending the LLoyds Voucher.
I wonder how long it will take to be officially told? It must have happened a few days previously.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Thank you. So if I FTVed an Avios booking scheduled for June today, I could expect it to take 5-30 days from today for the refund to be processed? I assume we can only FTV bookings that are scheduled before BWC ends in September?
As things stand, and we can speculate whether there will be further extensions. I notice that TAP has now stopped offering BWC, for example.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:23 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
We have a booking for April flights to Japan. Flghts (not surprisingly) cancelled. Booking is an Avios booking for 2 with an underlying Amex 2-for-1 voucher. Booking was originally made May last year, underlying 2-for-1 voucher expires August 2022. As for what options we have:

1. if i understand correctly it is no longer possible to get a FTV for this kind of booking?

2. do i understand correctly that i don't necessarily need to call them before the original flight date, but can also do so afterwards?

3. if i call them to rebook to a later day, what are the latest dates i can change the booking to: 1 year from ticketing (ie. May 2022), 1 year from original flight dates (ie. April 2023), or before 2-for-1 expiry (ie. Aug 2022)?

thank you
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If BA cancelled, rebooked you and you didn't confirm the new arrangements and you tried to contact BA, then you still have the traditional EC261 remedies (refund, rebook on next flight, rebook on flight with available seats). So it depends if you want to go MCOL or CEDR with this, but in both cases you would let CS know that you won't let the matter rest, and could they confirm their answer will not change, in order for you to seek redress via CEDR or MCOL. More informaiton and data points in the main EC261 thread.
Just to follow up on this, BA have refunded the ticket now, 15 weeks after refusing to do so. Thanks again for the encouragement to keep pushing
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Executive club
Cancelled return flight

Hi everyone.

My return flight TLS-LHR (BA0373) has been cancelled on wed 13 April. It is a booking for 4 people in CE.

I am trying to rebook onto one of the other flights on the same day, ideally BA0375.

However, MMB won’t let me, and when I have called, the very helpful agent explained that there are only 2 seats in club (despite there being plenty of availability in economy, and expert flyer only showing 3 rows of club). So all they can offer at the moment is 2 of us in economy, and 2 in club.

Is there any prospect of BA moving the curtain before Wednesday to feee up more CE seats does anyone know? I’d rather not fly on a different date, and ideally, I would like us all be in the same cabin!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes that day BA375 is J2 only, and then Y9. I think this is artificially being held like that potentially to limit new bookings and limit the CE cabin size.

I wonder whether it is best you take the 2 CE and 2 ET option, but ensure the agent notes 2 people are downgraded on their PNR so that if CE availability does open up you can call to get them moved back up.

EDIT: just to add the other flight on that route that day is BA 377 0715d but this is wide open with J9 C9 D9 R8 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K8 M7 L4 V3 N1 O0 Q9 S9 G9
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Couple of quick questions if anyone has the time to help, please.

I have flights booked for May - LUX-LHR-BOS-LHR-BRU. The LUX-LHR and LHR-BOS have been cancelled. I would like to do one of the following.

1) change it to AMS-LHR-BOS and move the dates of the outbound one day further into the future (from 1st to 2nd May) - are BA likely to let me do both these things?

2) alternatively drop the entire LUX-LHR leg and just fly from LHR - would this also be permitted and would I get a refund for this cancelled leg?

I should mention we are flying in F for the transatlantic legs, so can ring YouFirst.

We can no longer reasonably get to LUX from NCL anyway as BA have ironically pulled so many of the LHR-LUX flights that we can no longer get from NCL to LUX within a single day!

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Executive club
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes that day BA375 is J2 only, and then Y9. I think this is artificially being held like that potentially to limit new bookings and limit the CE cabin size.

I wonder whether it is best you take the 2 CE and 2 ET option, but ensure the agent notes 2 people are downgraded on their PNR so that if CE availability does open up you can call to get them moved back up.

EDIT: just to add the other flight on that route that day is BA 377 0715d but this is wide open with J9 C9 D9 R8 I0 Y9 B9 H9 K8 M7 L4 V3 N1 O0 Q9 S9 G9
thanks karfa - that’s really helpful. I think that availability on BA377 may have changed in the past hour, as it was not coming up as an option for 4 x CE seats on ba.com earlier. I might hold off for a while longer to see if the same happens with BA375, and if not, move to the earlier flight.

thank you!
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Can anyone please tell me how long it usually takes for a flight to appear as cancelled in MMB after it shows in the app?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Couple of quick questions if anyone has the time to help, please.

I have flights booked for May - LUX-LHR-BOS-LHR-BRU. The LUX-LHR and LHR-BOS have been cancelled. I would like to do one of the following.

1) change it to AMS-LHR-BOS and move the dates of the outbound one day further into the future (from 1st to 2nd May) - are BA likely to let me do both these things?

2) alternatively drop the entire LUX-LHR leg and just fly from LHR - would this also be permitted and would I get a refund for this cancelled leg?

I should mention we are flying in F for the transatlantic legs, so can ring YouFirst.

We can no longer reasonably get to LUX from NCL anyway as BA have ironically pulled so many of the LHR-LUX flights that we can no longer get from NCL to LUX within a single day!

Thanks in advance!
1) yes that should be fine for both. as long as there is space in the same cabin, changing LUX to BRU, and moving BRU-LHR-BOS a day later should be fine.

2) you should be able to do that. reports on refund are a little mixed, but tbh don't expect more than maybe Ł50 if you do get one.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:01 pm

Hi,

I was booked on the return leg of a BRU - JNB flight going JNB - LHR - BRU in next few days

Got email telling me my JNB - LHR and LHR - BRU flights were both cancelled. And that I’d been transferred onto a later JNB - LHR flight and a later LHR - BRU flight. Getting me into Brussels over five hours later than originally scheduled.

This was highly inconvenient for me.

And when I checked the rebooking options, turns out that while the original LHR - BRU had indeed been cancelled, the original preceding JNB - LHR leg hadn’t been cancelled and was still running. The only thing I can think of for booting me off the earlier JNB - LHR flight and moving me to a later one was to reduce my waiting time at LHR for my now much later LHR - BRU flight.

There was no rebooking option online to cancel the final LHR - BRU leg, but wonder if I’m still entitled to do that. And finish my trip at LHR. However if I do that am I likely to be repriced to a higher overall fare?

And would I still be entitled to EC261 compensation for my cancelled flight. €250 as only a short haul leg would be cancelled? Or €600?

If I doncontinue with my full itinerary to Brussels, assume I would be entitled to €600 for a 5+ hour delayed arrival beyond my original scheduled arrival time?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi.
I have recently flown Lhr-Las in club that was originally booked in F. The flight had been rebooked several times since the primal flight in March 20 due to covid.
Am I right in thinking that Ec261 still applies as per the guide and also is there any way of checking that the amount of compensation/refund offered by BA is correct given 2 years has passed since the original flight was meant to have been flown?
Many thanks
Old Apr 9, 2022, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer7
And when I checked the rebooking options, turns out that while the original LHR - BRU had indeed been cancelled, the original preceding JNB - LHR leg hadn’t been cancelled and was still running. The only thing I can think of for booting me off the earlier JNB - LHR flight and moving me to a later one was to reduce my waiting time at LHR for my now much later LHR - BRU flight.

There was no rebooking option online to cancel the final LHR - BRU leg, but wonder if I’m still entitled to do that. And finish my trip at LHR. However if I do that am I likely to be repriced to a higher overall fare?
What I would do is first take some screen shots, basically to show that there wasn't a way to avoid a 3 or 4 hour delay at BRU, compared to schedule. Then I would rebook yourself back to the flight you were on originally. Then when you get to London, FTV the BRU leg. You should still be entitled to EC261, and get a small refund on LHR-BRU, plus you won't need to call up for this. You would be on the 600€ compensation level for this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Millersman
Hi.
I have recently flown Lhr-Las in club that was originally booked in F. The flight had been rebooked several times since the primal flight in March 20 due to covid.
Am I right in thinking that Ec261 still applies as per the guide and also is there any way of checking that the amount of compensation/refund offered by BA is correct given 2 years has passed since the original flight was meant to have been flown?
Many thanks
The important issue is whether BA downgraded you to CW, rather than you accepting a new schedule that involved CW. Plus the options for retaining First. So the precise sequence of events will govern whether or not you get the reimbursement method of BA or EC261. More details in the EC261 thread, note in particular the Mennens formula in the wiki. That will give you a way of working out the potential reimbursement amount, it's a bit complex. But it will be based on your last First booking, depending on the sequence of events.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks CWS, I didnt think it would be clear cut due to the number of re-bookings. If i give you the timeline and events any opinions would be welcome.

09/19 Original Booking in First
03/20 Rebooked in First
06/20 Rebooked in first
08/20 Downgraded by BA to Club
10/20 Rebooked in Club (no first available same booking reference)
04/21 Rebooked In club
10/21 Rebooked in Club

At all times the booking reference stayed the same and all rebookings were due to BA cancellations, also this was a revenue fare and not Avios.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.