Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:20 am

Hi.

I originally booked an itinerary on 19 June 20 for travel outbound 19 May 21, inbound 27 May 21. Some of the flights were involuntarily downgraded by BA a few weeks ago so I changed dates and destination. I haven't confirmed that change and fare difference yet due to the many recent Covid related events.

Currently I'm a bit lost as to what the latest dates are that I can rebook for, should I wish to? I'm aware of the 12 month limit but I've read that this may not always be the case. Thanks for your assistance.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Currently in Singapore, my SIN-LHR flight on 26 Feb has been cancelled. This ticket is an Avios ticket in CW booked during the 50% sale with an Amex 2-4-1. I changed the dates online (for 30 ish extra in taxes etc but no additional Avios).

As I understand it, the QR rebooking is not possible for this because it is a redemption - although if I tried, I may get lucky. However given the removal of Qatar from the self isolation exemption list, I may want to avoid this anyway.

If I want BA to reroute me as soon as possible then I assume that they will put me on the first flight available on BA which is BA0012 on 3 March. Then BA would be on the hook for my hotel from 26th Feb - 3rd Mar.

Otherwise I can rebook to any available BA SIN-LHR flight within ticket validity.

If this is correct then I may leave it for the moment and decide if I actually want to go back to the UK then or postpone it.
Given travel corridors are being temporarily cancelled anyway, it's likely this will be extended further and thus maybe you should consider QR.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I can almost guarantee you that BA will refuse to reimburse SG hotel expenses from 26Feb to 3rd March.
What makes you say that? I was stuck in CAI when BA cancelled flights for a week and they covered all of my hotel and F&B expenses.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi.

I originally booked an itinerary on 19 June 20 for travel outbound 19 May 21, inbound 27 May 21. Some of the flights were involuntarily downgraded by BA a few weeks ago so I changed dates and destination. I haven't confirmed that change and fare difference yet due to the many recent Covid related events.

Currently I'm a bit lost as to what the latest dates are that I can rebook for, should I wish to? I'm aware of the 12 month limit but I've read that this may not always be the case. Thanks for your assistance.
12 months from date of issue is the IATA rule, thou IATA allow for extensions beyond this assuming BA do. There are reports (myself included) of BA allowing ticket validity to be extended, but these are outlier cases and generally BA will say no to extending ticket validity. The first option is to try via MMB, failing that try a few different agents, you may get lucky.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi,
I have a question and tried searching for the answer to no avail! I have a booking for March, a simple flight only return booked direct with BA that has been cancelled. At some point I want to rebook for a later date but as of now I don't know when. If I just leave the cancelled booking as it is in MMB is there any time limit to change it, e.g. the change has to be made before the original departure date? Or can I just leave it until April for example and then rebook, within a year from the booking date still?
Thanks in advance!
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tominspain
I have a question and tried searching for the answer to no avail! I have a booking for March, a simple flight only return booked direct with BA that has been cancelled. At some point I want to rebook for a later date but as of now I don't know when. If I just leave the cancelled booking as it is in MMB is there any time limit to change it, e.g. the change has to be made before the original departure date? Or can I just leave it until April for example and then rebook, within a year from the booking date still?
There is no time limit as such so you don't need to rush, but it does get easier to find the reservation if you don't leave it too long. See similar questions and answers above from post 281 onwards.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Beaten to it, can delete.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
If a Euro Traveller booking is upgraded using Avios (N upgraded to Club Europe) and then gets cancelled, would there have to be award availability for rebooking, or can it be any date?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
If a Euro Traveller booking is upgraded using Avios (N upgraded to Club Europe) and then gets cancelled, would there have to be award availability for rebooking, or can it be any date?
Generally speaking no reward availability needed, see post 27.
headingwest likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No reward availability required when moving from a cancelled flights. Including cash and Avios upgraded tickets
headingwest likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Tenuous I know, but would a terminal change lead to the possibility of a refund instead of a FTV?

For example if my arrival terminal (dubai) has changed a made a connection much less convenient/impractical in terms of timing, would that help my case for a refund instead of voucher.

Thank you
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:46 am

Generally you cant get a refund purely from a terminal change. If there is a connection, is this connection on the same booking and no longer over the MCT?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Tenuous I know, but would a terminal change lead to the possibility of a refund instead of a FTV?
No, that would not, you wouldn't get a refund on that. If you are hand baggage only getting between terminals in Dubai is fairly quick and easy, albeit using buses airside.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:23 am

Hi, I can't change or cancel my Avios bookings in MMB. I get a message to say 'contact us', link takes me to details of general 0800 number. I was on hold for 45 mins as soon as I said it was Avios, agent said I had to speak to Exec Club and she'd put me straight through. Still on hold 50 mins later! I'll have to try again another time, but does anyone know if it's 0800 general number or Exec Club line? Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by CosmoCosmo
Hi, I can't change or cancel my Avios bookings in MMB. I get a message to say 'contact us', link takes me to details of general 0800 number. I was on hold for 45 mins as soon as I said it was Avios, agent said I had to speak to Exec Club and she'd put me straight through. Still on hold 50 mins later! I'll have to try again another time, but does anyone know if it's 0800 general number or Exec Club line? Thanks.
Hi. Is it urgent? I only ask as there are a lot of cancellations going out over the last day and this evening. If it can wait a few days it may be better to call back then when call volumes calm down.
CosmoCosmo likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does the rebooking within 12 months of ticket issue trump any restrictions on the original fare? I have had my SEZ cancelled (again) and am awaiting a call back. The tickets were purchased in the 747 999 promotion which stated travel had to be before 31 March 2021. TIA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.