Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nk15
Originally Posted by Shingi
Thanks very much. I tried to do a ‘like’ but my name showed up as (ARG:4UNDEFINED) !!
I get this too half of the time, IDK what the deal is...
This is a well-known problem: The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by JackDann
BA1421 from BHD to LHR was cancelled last night - Alternative was a flight at 7am this morning. Anyone able to help find the reason for the cancellation and whether it would be eligible for EC261 please? I've had a look on E.F but couldn't see anything.
Cancelled due to weather and Covid19 - that will be the reply from BA when you claim is denied. You will get nowhere with this, unfortunately.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: OW
Rebooked flight using 241 Avios FTV yday for Wed (22 Dec) departure - have been retickted * and showing in ExecClub but cannot access MMB to do seat selection etc. - throws up an error.

Has anyone had this - should I be concerned that it has not actually been reticketed in time for Wed?

* new ticket number in app + additional taxes charged to credit card BUT additional Avios have not been debited from HHA
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:59 am

All hypothetical at the moment but according to Twitter we could soon see a ban on inessential travel from December 27th if rumours of Level 2 restrictions are true.

Would BA allow avios redemptions to be moved to a new date regardless of availability were this to happen? Or will we be shafted if the flights still go ahead but we’re not allowed to travel on them?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MH1981
All hypothetical at the moment but according to Twitter we could soon see a ban on inessential travel from December 27th if rumours of Level 2 restrictions are true.

Would BA allow avios redemptions to be moved to a new date regardless of availability were this to happen? Or will we be shafted if the flights still go ahead but we’re not allowed to travel on them?
Twitter ?! Ha ! No, there’s no chance they’ll allow moves without reward availability. You can cancel to FTV or Refund less Ł35 if you opt to not travel. I genuinely can’t see there ever being a “no holiday” mandate again with vaccination rates so high and almost 50% already on booster
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Twitter ?! Ha ! No, there’s no chance they’ll allow moves without reward availability. You can cancel to FTV or Refund less Ł35 if you opt to not travel. I genuinely can’t see there ever being a “no holiday” mandate again with vaccination rates so high and almost 50% already on booster
I’ve no intention of cancelling unless it becomes illegal for me to travel. The Twitter account was a Sky News correspondent who seems to think Level 2 restrictions are the most likely scenario which includes a travel ban for all non essential travel. Absurd if true!

As I say, I’m booked to travel on the 27th and have every intention of being in my seat sipping champagne. But it does seem a little harsh if it were to become illegal to travel and we are charged to move our flights.

All hypothetical though so let’s hope for the best.

Last edited by MH1981; Dec 20, 2021 at 1:43 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes I fully agree with you, I’ll be in my seat over the Atlantic on the 27th sipping too! But I absolutely can’t see it, so we shall both enjoy our flights…, as long as destination country lets us in !
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have a flight booked to Austria in a few days time. It's looking like it's going to be postponed for several reasons (including, but not exclusively, the inability for me to drive into Germany).

The ticket was booked for 3 people using avios + 2-4-1 (I think due to expire in March).

I can't cancel online. I believe my options are to call up and cancel (losing Ł35 x 3, possibly +Ł15 x 3) or to get a voucher. If I get a voucher:

What's the deadline for applying for the voucher?
Do I still lose the money?
What will the expiry of the new 2-4-1 voucher be?
Do I have to use the voucher to rebook for the same 3 passengers?
If not, can I rebook using the 2-4-1 for either of the passengers I was travelling with, is it a specific one of them, or is it anyone at all?

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmahon
If I get a voucher:
  1. What's the deadline for applying for the voucher?
  2. Do I still lose the money?
  3. What will the expiry of the new 2-4-1 voucher be?
  4. Do I have to use the voucher to rebook for the same 3 passengers?
  5. If not, can I rebook using the 2-4-1 for either of the passengers I was travelling with, is it a specific one of them, or is it anyone at all?
  1. Check-in closure, but general advice is to not leave it quite so late. Give yourself at least a couple of hours before scheduled departire time.
  2. No, if you use the voucher to make a new booking.
  3. If you use the voucher to make a new booking, all travel on the new booking must be completed by 30 September 2023.
  4. Yes, if you use the voucher to make a new booking. I expect that you could then cancel one of the companions for a refund under standard Avios conditions, including the cancellation fee.
  5. You will still have the option of calling to completely refund the voucher. At that time, you would have to pay the cancellation fee. Your Avios would be returned to you, and your 2-4-1 voucher would be released and have its original expiry date. You could then use any or all of these elements as if you had simply cancelled at the outset.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:34 pm

If I use a voucher to make a new booking and the new booking has a flight cancellation, do I get a refund for the entire voucher amount?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
If I use a voucher to make a new booking and the new booking has a flight cancellation, do I get a refund for the entire voucher amount?
If BA cancel the flight, you get everything back.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 12:23 pm
formerly JackDann

Voluntary Downgrade Reversal

When I recently Rebooked a Holidays booking flight, the domestic portion was changed from a return in CE, to the return being on EI as the flights gave more time for a connection (In hindsight, this was a bad idea. It required a change to T2 and no lounge access).

The EI leg just got cancelled and BA have re-booked me onto another EI flight that would give me a 7 hour Layover at Heathrow.

Will BA re-book me onto a BA flight again in CE, or now i’ve gave that up is it not so straight forward?

Also - Now one leg of this has been cancelled, how long can I leave this before I potentially ask to be re-booked or for the trip to be refunded? Scheduled departure is 14/1.

Last edited by JD1905; Dec 21, 2021 at 1:13 pm
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've got a cancelled flight - I'm happy with the suggested rebooked flight, but don't want to accept the change yet to keep the cash refund option open. However they have put us in useless seats in the middle of the plane, and there is only 1 pair of window seats left. I obviosuly can't change the seats on BA MMB, but Royal Air Maroc would let me change the seats. Does anyone know if I change the seats via Royal Air Maroc, do BA also take this as accepting the rebooked flight, and lossing my right to a cash refund?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:14 am

Hi, I cancelled a flight two weeks ago for a voucher which came through two days later but I still haven’t had the Avios or companion voucher returned. Should I try to chase or is it taking this long at the moment does anyone know?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soupey202
Hi, I cancelled a flight two weeks ago for a voucher which came through two days later but I still haven’t had the Avios or companion voucher returned.
They're all on the voucher. If you took a voucher, you won't get a separate refund of any of the elements of what you paid for the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.