Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 28, 22, 9:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 18, 21, 12:20 am

My LHR-AMS got cancelled today.

I would like to move to CDG which is within 300 miles rule, however, I am currently flying LAX-DFW-LHR. Do I have to find the same inventory (I class) if I want to move to LAX-MIA-LHR instead ? I do see MIA-LHR available (the non-388 for the club suite route). Please let me know what is the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 18, 21, 1:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anchor79 View Post
My LHR-AMS got cancelled today.

I would like to move to CDG which is within 300 miles rule, however, I am currently flying LAX-DFW-LHR. Do I have to find the same inventory (I class) if I want to move to LAX-MIA-LHR instead ? I do see MIA-LHR available (the non-388 for the club suite route). Please let me know what is the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance.
the cancellation of your LHR-AMS flight does allow you to change that to a LHR-CDG at no cost as long as there is space in the cabin. It doesnt apply to moving other flights in the booking.
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:11 am
DTS

Programs: LH FTL, AS MVP, IHG Plat
With the rapidly developing Omicron situation all over Europe, do you think that BA may cancel more flights on a short notice? I have a TATL flight with a European connection coming up, outbound on the Dec 22nd, return on Jan 3rd.
Since booking in the summer, there were already a couple of changes to the ticket, but it has been quiet for he last three weeks or so.

I know speculation, but maybe someone has had this happen already in the last couple of days.
Old Dec 19, 21, 9:26 am

My outbound was completed in November. My return, which is scheduled for June had a cancellation/change. Im curious of the refund process for mid-trip itineraries. How do come up with the refund amount? Paid booking in J.
Old Dec 19, 21, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
My outbound was completed in November. My return, which is scheduled for June had a cancellation/change. Im curious of the refund process for mid-trip itineraries. How do come up with the refund amount? Paid booking in J.
They will refund the fare component associated with the return leg(s), plus any taxes, fees and charges associated with the unflown coupons. You may never have realised it, but in pricing your itinerary the construction of the fare would have included two elements separately, effectively bolted together to build a return trip. These may or may not have bee. exactly half of the fare, and it only gets even vaguely tricky if you’re splitting a fare component into sections (as then they need to work out how it was pro-rated). Taxes and charges are assigned to individual coupons so are also very easy to calculate. This can be one of the few advantages of booking through a travel agent - a good one will likely have shown all these elements separately at point of booking.
Old Dec 20, 21, 1:37 am

Programs: BA blue, Emirates blue
My question became buried in the BA South Africa thread but I realise this is the proper place to ask. Our LHR/JNB/DUR J Avios flight end January was recently changed from the 55 to the later 57 out of LHR. We had been considering cancelling anyway so the message was very handy and I now know that I can get a refund on that portion, by phone of course! Our return journey on a separate ticket was cash DUR/CPT/LHR early into March with a four day stopover in CPT. Not knowing when we will go to SA again I was resigned to getting yet another voucher but then I realised that in September I had a cancellation email re the DUR/CPT portion which put us on a flight two hours later. In no way would it have affected our stay in CPT but does that help me also get a refund on the return journey? Another phone call of course! Sounds a bit grasping I realise but I don’t really want any more vouchers. All the flights were booked direct with BA with paid for seat selection. Thank you.
Old Dec 20, 21, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Miles and Smiles Elite, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shingi View Post
My question became buried in the BA South Africa thread but I realise this is the proper place to ask. Our LHR/JNB/DUR J Avios flight end January was recently changed from the 55 to the later 57 out of LHR. We had been considering cancelling anyway so the message was very handy and I now know that I can get a refund on that portion, by phone of course! Our return journey on a separate ticket was cash DUR/CPT/LHR early into March with a four day stopover in CPT. Not knowing when we will go to SA again I was resigned to getting yet another voucher but then I realised that in September I had a cancellation email re the DUR/CPT portion which put us on a flight two hours later. In no way would it have affected our stay in CPT but does that help me also get a refund on the return journey? Another phone call of course! Sounds a bit grasping I realise but I dont really want any more vouchers. All the flights were booked direct with BA with paid for seat selection. Thank you.
If your DUR-CPT flight was a proper cancellation with different flight numbers and I assume you were flying with Comair and all on one booking, then you are entitled to a full refund, providing you have not accepted the change in flights. If you have accepted, then you are stuck with a potential FTV as your way out.
If the original flight is still the same flight number, then it is a 2 hour delay, in which case you are once again stuck since no free cancellations.

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
With the rapidly developing Omicron situation all over Europe, do you think that BA may cancel more flights on a short notice?
yes. I think that.
and im in the same situation, leaving dec24th, returning jan1st.

Programs: BA Gold
A cancelled flight no matter on what time difference, does get you the option to call up for a cash refund Shingi
Nephoi likes this.
Old Dec 20, 21, 1:54 am
formerly JackDann

BA1421 from BHD to LHR was cancelled last night - Alternative was a flight at 7am this morning. Anyone able to help find the reason for the cancellation and whether it would be eligible for EC261 please? I've had a look on E.F but couldn't see anything.
Old Dec 20, 21, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JackDann View Post
BA1421 from BHD to LHR was cancelled last night - Alternative was a flight at 7am this morning. Anyone able to help find the reason for the cancellation and whether it would be eligible for EC261 please? I've had a look on E.F but couldn't see anything.
The outbound was cancelled, presumably due to the issues being discussed in this thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-tonight.html namely fog and staff shortages.

Imagine claiming will be an uphill battle with not much chance of success.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 20, 21, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Dselvan View Post
If your DUR-CPT flight was a proper cancellation with different flight numbers and I assume you were flying with Comair and all on one booking, then you are entitled to a full refund, providing you have not accepted the change in flights. If you have accepted, then you are stuck with a potential FTV as your way out.
If the original flight is still the same flight number, then it is a 2 hour delay, in which case you are once again stuck since no free cancellations.
Many thanks. It did change to a different flight number and I never accepted it. Happy days!
Dselvan likes this.
Old Dec 20, 21, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
A cancelled flight no matter on what time difference, does get you the option to call up for a cash refund Shingi
Thanks very much. I tried to do a ‘like’ but my name showed up as (ARG:4UNDEFINED) !!

Last edited by Shingi; Dec 20, 21 at 2:48 am
Old Dec 20, 21, 5:02 am

I have always been curious about something Ive been seeing more of lately. Besides actual flight cancellations, Ive had 2 recent instances where BA canceled a flight and their replacements were 0 and 20 minutes difference. If a canceled flight allows a full cash refund, what is the significance of changing a flight number? Surely an equipment change and/or small time change dont require a new flight number, so what am I missing here where theyd rather risk full loss of revenue from cancellations just to change a flight number?
Old Dec 20, 21, 5:03 am

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Shingi View Post
Thanks very much. I tried to do a like but my name showed up as (ARG:4UNDEFINED) !!
I get this too half of the time, IDK what the deal is...

Search this Thread