Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:58 pm
tor

This is a round trip, and I've already flown the first leg.

I should've said: I get the error "Sorry, it is not possible to change this booking on ba.com. Please call your local British Airways office to change this booking."
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
My flight (BA holiday) to CPT on 28 Jan has been cancelled for the third time. Originally booked in October 2020 for travel in March 2021 then changed to October 2021. Will BA extend the option any further (fare was £1k in Club) ?
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
My flight (BA holiday) to CPT on 28 Jan has been cancelled for the third time. Originally booked in October 2020 for travel in March 2021 then changed to October 2021. Will BA extend the option any further (fare was £1k in Club) ?
I am on a very similar boat and would be keen to hear if anyone has any recent experiences or advice!
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by wb1969
Sorry. Didn’t come across very friendly. Thanks for softening it. Now if any of you very knowledgeable folk happen to know the answer to my question, I would be eternally grateful.
As far as I know yes, you can use the avios FTV to supplement a new 241 booking. Hopefully someone else will have experience of this and can confirm!
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
My girlfriend got through to BA Holidays about our twice moved holiday to Cape Town, which was originally booked for Jan 2021 and has been moved twice, to October 2021 and then Jan 2022. BA have cancelled one of the legs of the flights, but is refusing to change dates beyond +/-14 days without repricing, as we are “beyond ticket validity”. I am under the impression that we have a right to rerouting on dates that suit us, under EC261 - can anyone advise further about how we should approach BA, and what our rights are?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
My girlfriend got through to BA Holidays about our twice moved holiday to Cape Town, which was originally booked for Jan 2021 and has been moved twice, to October 2021 and then Jan 2022. BA have cancelled one of the legs of the flights, but is refusing to change dates beyond +/-14 days without repricing, as we are “beyond ticket validity”. I am under the impression that we have a right to rerouting on dates that suit us, under EC261 - can anyone advise further about how we should approach BA, and what our rights are?
I am not sure about the rights, but I can give some insights on what I discussed with BA for my BA holiday to Marrakesh.
I originally booked my Dec 2021 trip to Marrakesh on April 2021, and upon the suspension of direct flights, I called up BA and wanted to push back my travel dates outside -3/+14 but they refused, thus I stick to my original dates and chose different flight options. Then a week later, with the news of no more international flights into Morroco for two weeks, my flight into RAK got cancelled and I called up BA again and they waived the -3/+14 range for me and moved my holiday (same duration) to January, also stating that the holiday package will be valid for 1 year from my original departure date. (i.e if there is any more cancellations, I can move the holiday up to Dec 2022 latest)
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by flyingroundtheworld
I am not sure about the rights, but I can give some insights on what I discussed with BA for my BA holiday to Marrakesh.
I originally booked my Dec 2021 trip to Marrakesh on April 2021, and upon the suspension of direct flights, I called up BA and wanted to push back my travel dates outside -3/+14 but they refused, thus I stick to my original dates and chose different flight options. Then a week later, with the news of no more international flights into Morroco for two weeks, my flight into RAK got cancelled and I called up BA again and they waived the -3/+14 range for me and moved my holiday (same duration) to January, also stating that the holiday package will be valid for 1 year from my original departure date. (i.e if there is any more cancellations, I can move the holiday up to Dec 2022 latest)
My gf HUACA on my advice - second agent let us move the Holiday to November 2021. Flights were free; car hire cost an extra £129.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:14 pm

A couple of questions
I have had 1 sector of a 4 sector flight booking cancelled. JER LHR AMS return I have a few questions that I could do with help on.

1.how long do I have to accept the new flight offered as I want to consider how covid restrictions are playing out for the Netherlands (update 14th December). 2. is it right that I can book a destination that is within 300 miles of my original destination instead like Cologne or Frankfurt? 3 if I wanted to lose two sectors on the booking now that one sector has been cancelled and just stick to domestic flying JER LHR will I get any refund for the two international sectors that I drop?

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom on this.
Edit Quote
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
A couple of questions
I have had 1 sector of a 4 sector flight booking cancelled. JER LHR AMS return I have a few questions that I could do with help on.

1.how long do I have to accept the new flight offered as I want to consider how covid restrictions are playing out for the Netherlands (update 14th December). 2. is it right that I can book a destination that is within 300 miles of my original destination instead like Cologne or Frankfurt? 3 if I wanted to lose two sectors on the booking now that one sector has been cancelled and just stick to domestic flying JER LHR will I get any refund for the two international sectors that I drop?

Edit Quote
Hi any help on this one ?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
My gf HUACA on my advice - second agent let us move the Holiday to November 2021. Flights were free; car hire cost an extra £129.
I'm sure they were happy to move your holiday to last month 😁
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A couple of questions

1. when is your booking? normally i would say sort it out before the booked dates so do not let it go beyond that.
2. the change of gateway now only strictly applies to the sector which has been cancelled.
3. yes but you may as well have a look at doing that via BWC
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:13 am

Thanks Karfa flying 22nd Dec is that Book with confidence? Do I phone or use an online form? I phoned exc club but they said no to 3. So is it a different department for a BWC?

I really want the JER. LHR at the price I paid if I go ahead with travel not a rebook as the prices are very high for my currently booked flights. Will that be the case? I don't care about any refund just the domestic sectors at original price

London is spookily within 300 miles from Amsterdam

Last edited by Jerseylily2; Dec 3, 2021 at 3:21 am
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Thanks Karfa flying 22nd Dec is that Book with confidence? Do I phone or use an online form? I phoned exc club but they said no to 3. So is it a different department for a BWC?

I really want the JER. LHR at the price I paid if I go ahead with travel not a rebook as the prices are very high for my currently booked flights. Will that be the case? I don't care about any refund just the domestic sectors at original price

London is spookily within 300 miles from Amsterdam
So if you price up the JER-LHR-JER and that is more this route won't work. You will be liable for any fare difference via BWC, so if it were less you would get a part refund but if it is more you ned to pay the difference.

You can't really do what you want tbh, your change of gateway would only apply for the one cancelled flight so you can't do an involuntary free change from JER-LHR-AMS rtn to JER-LHR rtn.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:17 am
formerly JackDann

I made changes to a BA Holiday scheduled for 3rd January a couple of months back. I wanted to make changes, so BA created a new booking for me with the flights and hotel. I paid another deposit and was told the old deposit would be sent to me as an FTV.

The original booking has remained in my account, still appears ticketed and I can add seats etc. I’m assuming this will probably drop off my account and be cancelled in the next couple of weeks?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by JackDann
I made changes to a BA Holiday scheduled for 3rd January a couple of months back. I wanted to make changes, so BA created a new booking for me with the flights and hotel. I paid another deposit and was told the old deposit would be sent to me as an FTV.

The original booking has remained in my account, still appears ticketed and I can add seats etc. I’m assuming this will probably drop off my account and be cancelled in the next couple of weeks?
i was in a similar boat and my original booking remained for a few weeks after cancellation but then vanished eventually. In my case I even already had the voucher email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.