Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by itisme
Call me crazy / a noob but there is something i can't figure out so hopefully this topic is suited best. I checked all seatmaps for 777/200 and also all other ones on both BA websites and seatguru site but i cannot find any map that relates to the one i see on BA.com in manage booking.
We coukd give you much more precise information with the date. It may be that your seat map is relating to a Flub 777. If you had First and now been downgraded you should get a refund in due course, including potentially EC261 reimbursement, but once in CW you get the CW product. If you are at least Ruby on BA, AA or AS then you can select at 7 days to departure, and I imagine there is a USA credit card that does this straight off. The one place that has been inaccurate for the last 9 years is SeatGuru, it has aircraft on that site, which are now scrapped, but at the point of their final service had been refurbished twice since the seat plan was changed.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JackDann
Anyone ever known BA to re-book onto a QF/EK Codeshare?

Looking at potential options as a result of a cancellation, and whilst this seems an unlikely one, i’d be interested to hear if it happens.
If it's an Emirates operated service, I would expect the answer to be no, particularly if it is a redemption. If it's QF or QR then you may be OK particularly if BA has a codeshare on the service.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We coukd give you much more precise information with the date. It may be that your seat map is relating to a Flub 777. If you had First and now been downgraded you should get a refund in due course, including potentially EC261 reimbursement, but once in CW you get the CW product. If you are at least Ruby on BA, AA or AS then you can select at 7 days to departure, and I imagine there is a USA credit card that does this straight off. The one place that has been inaccurate for the last 9 years is SeatGuru, it has aircraft on that site, which are now scrapped, but at the point of their final service had been refurbished twice since the seat plan was changed.
Seat Guru and Seat Expert are now more or less useless; their sole function at this point appears to be to produce a pop up window with car rental links, presumably producing revenue for the site owner.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:08 am
formerly JackDann

If it's an Emirates operated service, I would expect the answer to be no, particularly if it is a redemption. If it's QF or QR then you may be OK particularly if BA has a codeshare on the service.
BA Holidays - Thought it was unlikely but worth checking before I speak to them and explore my options. The main problem i’m finding is when you’re booked into F there is very little choice on OW carriers when flying East really.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by champignon
Seat Guru and Seat Expert are now more or less useless; their sole function at this point appears to be to produce a pop up window with car rental links, presumably producing revenue for the site owner.
I rely on Expert Flyer to show accurate (as of when I look) seat maps. I think even the free version shows seat maps.
KARFA likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Apologies it's on thanksgiving (nov27) BOS-LHR. No status indeed so guess that's why then only paid offers. Oh suprised it's that bad. You think it's so easy to update plus so many visitors i'd reckoned they would be very up-to-date. noted.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by itisme
Apologies it's on thanksgiving (nov27) BOS-LHR. No status indeed so guess that's why then only paid offers. Oh suprised it's that bad. You think it's so easy to update plus so many visitors i'd reckoned they would be very up-to-date. noted.
Thanks for that, and I would say that your display is being somehow altered by the original First booking. This is what I've got for that flight from ExpertFlyer and the good news is that it is Club Suites. Now that means there isn't a lot of difference between seats anymore, and on a night flight even the window versus aisle seats isn't such a big deal. Solid blue = taken, X means = reserved but potentially available.

If you want the certainty of a particular seat then you may need to call up and pay for it. It may be the seat you want is aligned to the above on your screen in which case you can sort it yourself. Personally for CS I can't see any reason to pay up, no seat is massively better or worse than another, and on a night flight, unpopular seats are in the quiet area anyway.

And this is the US Point of Sale figures, which in short means it will end up fairly or completely full in WTP and CW, in my experience. (As an aside, I'm sure BA is very pleased with trans Atlantic passenger numbers in premoium cabins, that seems to be going well for them).
J6 C4 D2 R0 I0 W6 E4 T3 Y9 B9 H7 K5 M3 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

I notice that the later flight, BA214, still has First avaiability, so if you haven't received your refund, you could ring up and depart at 21:45 hrs instead.
itisme likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:35 am

I asked BA for a re-routing after the cancellation of my forthcoming LHR-SIN-SYD-MEL. They were happy to rebook on QF metal (I have ended up on the "direct" QF flight to Melbourne via Darwin). But they explicitly would not rebook onto EK services, even under QF codeshare flight numbers. QR was also given as an option and I am doing that route for the return journey. This was a J booking, rather than F, though.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 2:51 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Nikko5
I asked BA for a re-routing after the cancellation of my forthcoming LHR-SIN-SYD-MEL. They were happy to rebook on QF metal (I have ended up on the "direct" QF flight to Melbourne via Darwin). But they explicitly would not rebook onto EK services, even under QF codeshare flight numbers. QR was also given as an option and I am doing that route for the return journey. This was a J booking, rather than F, though.
Nice one, I don’t think there is an option on QF metal heading out to SIN in F. I can’t see them booking me onto EK - I’ll maybe consider re-routing and going onto QR (although this would only partially be in F). I’d like to use this as much to my advantage as possible if anyone has any suggestions?

I’m current going BHD-LHR-SIN in F - Zeroed out and likely to be cancelled. Happy to fly from DUB. My final Destination is Chiang Rai so i’d be connecting from SIN to BKK, so could explore re-routing to here (it’s outside 300 miles but been done before).

The lack of OW carriers with an F cabin heading East is a challenge here.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:52 am

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
Originally Posted by jenecho
Don't know if anyone can advise- I've been trying to go to auschwitz for years but krakow keeps getting canned and had booked again for my birthday this year. Flights to krakow have once again been cancelled . I rang and they didn't offer rerouting, just a refund so I have left it for now. Was considering going to Vienna instead (within 300 miles) but Austria is locking down so I am now thinking I want to see through my auschwitz trip- even though it would mean getting from warsaw to krakow each way, probably by train. The question is whether I can get BA to refund the train costs? Obviously the inconvenience and wasted time getting to krakow are unavoidable, but I am wondering whether the CAA rules would allow me to claim for the cost of the train tickets in completing the journey?
Havent had any responses to this, but have just seen the following in my cancellation email: If you accept to travel from a different departure point or to a different destination than your original booking, we will not cover any expenses for travel between the two points, including car rental and parking.

I'm assuming that means I would be out of luck as they would say I was accepting to travel TO Warsaw rather than via it? I don't actually want to change destination, I want to be rerouted but since they aren't offering that I'm stuck.

I could just cancel and book wizzair for tuppence. But that would defeat the secondary point that I planned to spend my birthday drinking champagne in the flounge!
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
Sorry for "repeating" my own scenario, but I have been (over)thinking this a lot and am now looking at it from a different angle. I hope I can also articulate my questions more clearly than last time!

Scenario:
The booking: Companion Voucher / 241 flight. Originally booked outbound last December at T-355 in Club, then called a week later to add return. Missed out on J, so booked Y. Earlier this year, when the additional Avios seats were unilaterally released on all flights post July, I booked return seats in J online, while in telephone queue. When agent eventually answered, I cancelled the return Y seats, had the TFCs for them returned and had my Avios balance adjusted to reflect that it was part of a companion booking. Result: 2 x PNRs, 1x companion voucher used and a slightly increased rate of TFCs paid by me to ensure that I got the cabin I wanted.

Current situation: Both flights (next month) have been cancelled by BA. My outbound has a suggested alternative, (different flight number) but no alternative for the return. (That's a different story)

We would now like to travel similar time next year instead (same travellers I hope!), beyond the expiration date of the original companion voucher and beyond the ticket validity (assuming 12 months from last ticket issue/change)

Options:
Refund - No good as companion voucher will expire (though see question regarding 2nd PNR below)
Rebook - Online as soon as new flights released - no certainty that this would work and a risk it could later be unravelled by change booking team (seen this in another thread) since it might be outside of ticket validity. Is booking via the disruption tool online a realistic option and is having it later amended a risk?
- On phone - don't fancy my chances as outside ticket validity
- MCOL based on BA's own ticket validity rules vs UK/EU261 - don't particularly have the inclination for this as there are other options available.
FTV - This seems the most logical option, since I am within policy. My main concern is being able to book the tickets. There was a thread recently (which I can't find, but also validated on HfP) that the US call centres/ exec team are not willing/inclined/able to deal with booking companion returns at midnight. I would assume this extends to dealing with offline FTV bookings and so I would need to wait until 8am.
Is my analysis of options above correct / fair?

New question! What would the FTV of the 2nd PNR contain? (I presume I would get an FTV for each of the outbound and return PNRs?) Would there be any link to the companion voucher?

The reason I ask is it may enable the below.
My suggested alternative:
1) Book outbound flights using FTV at 8am day flights are released. (assuming I get turned away at midnight- but worth a go!)
2) Request a REFUND for the 2nd PNR
3) Book return flights on a separate PNR again the following week by booking directly online at midnight, then calling again to have the Avios adjusted the next day/ when I can get through. This reduces my risk of missing out on the availability (perhaps by half?)

Would this work? Is it unnecessary? (For context, I'm monitoring the route and 3 out of the 4 J Avios seats on the return leg had gone by 10am yesterday.)

Pleased to say I got this resolved without too much trouble. Thanks corporate-wage-slave and KARFA for persuading me to get the FTV and not faff about trying to do it online.

3 calls (2 would have done)

Call 1 - test the waters and see how long the queues were to the USA Line. Got through at nearly 1am, explained what I was planning to do and the agent was very good. She could see that my inbound on booking B had been cancelled by BA so suggested I took the refund. Because my 2-4-1 was already tied up in my FTV from booking A, there was no impact to the expiry of the 241 (which, if I recall would be June '22) Avios and Cash were redeposited within a week.
Call 2 - Call at midnight at T-355 - convert FTV to 241 outbound. Ticketed about 72 hours later.
Call 3 - Call again, 1 week later from hotel room via Skype to add the inbound. Ticketed about 72 hours later.

You shouldn't have any silly questions from me for a few months
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:35 am

Hi, have an Avios flight booked to NYC. If I happen to catch covid and need to self isolate and hence miss the return leg will BA just rebook me at the same class on a flight in the future ?

Currently in Business but given there is no Avois flight availability in the near future wondering if they will just make any free Business seat available or would it have to be a downgrade to Economy etc ?

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:20 am

BA flight same day cancellation -rights for re-routing.GCH

My friend’s flight itinerary to Taiwan via Hong Kong got cancelled last minute yesterday.
She got notified when she reached First Wing at Heathrow. Check in staff were unhelpful and didn’t arrange new flights on different airlines for her. Once the manager showed up, he said nobody can rebook this flight, to cancel the ticket and pay for a new booking.

Is this normal procedure? What are her rights for compensation?

I understand from news that this was due to the fact the crew tested positive for Covid at HK airport.

My friend’s itinerary was to Taipei, Taiwan though, not Hong Kong. Why hasn’t she been offered for re-routing? She kept asking for it, but told to go home.

She is a very unhappy Gold card holder.

Please help.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Giorgiok86
My friend’s flight itinerary to Taiwan via Hong Kong got cancelled last minute yesterday.
She got notified when she reached First Wing at Heathrow. Check in staff were unhelpful and didn’t arrange new flights on different airlines for her. Once the manager showed up, he said nobody can rebook this flight, to cancel the ticket and pay for a new booking.

Is this normal procedure? What are her rights for compensation?

I understand from news that this was due to the fact the crew tested positive for Covid at HK airport.

My friend’s itinerary was to Taipei, Taiwan though, not Hong Kong. Why hasn’t she been offered for re-routing? She kept asking for it, but told to go home.

She is a very unhappy Gold card holder.

Please help.
It’s in everyone’s interests to know the terms and conditions, and conditions of carriage for situations just like this. Can see the most relevant resolution option here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...#cancellations

Option 10 - Rebook any other carrier Rebook any other carrier prime flight Routing Must be same point of origin and destination via any country Period The new flight must take place within 24hrs of the original cancelled flight Allowance Rebook into the lowest class available in same cabin
If same cabin not available may rebook into a lower cabin and ticket will need to be recalculated for any refund post-travel Important information Applicable for any carriers ticket issued for a BA flight that is cancelled within 24 hours of scheduled departure time
Only available for rebook through BA Contact Centres

For Trade bookings you ay use BA Trade Support line for assistance
BA must have an interline ticketing agreement with the other carrier
Only rebook onto the Prime flight code, do not use codeshare
Must add OS**INVOL REROUTE IATA 735D ( ** = the two letter code of the carrier)
May include a change of airports in the same city
If connecting flights are on the same ticket, rebook using BA,JB or OC Prime up to the same point of origin and destination
wmaciej likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:11 am
formerly JackDann

My BA11 BHD>LHR>SIN in First on 14/1 has been cancelled (As expected)

I plan to travel to Thailand.

There does not appear to be any other OneWorld carriers with a First cabin travelling to Singapore on this day. Does anyone know what reasonable alternative may be suggested to me or maybe even some ideas of what I can propose to them (When I eventually get through!). I was really looking forward to our 'first First!' experience and got a great deal, so would be a huge shame to miss out on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.