Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA, AA, UA, VS, DL, EI, Hilton, Marriot
Originally Posted by efincomputer
I've a trip to the US booked for Feb 2022 which has received a couple of cancellations so far (1 US internal flight, and SOF-LHR leg) - nothing major (still have both F legs UuA from CW) and no urgent need to rebook at the moment...or so i thought until i just received a text from BA informing me that i had to rebook new flights by the 10th of September or they would automatically cancel and refund the entire trip.

Is this normal? I could see the point if this related to my trip in October (which I'd actually LIKE a cancellation for, so i could move out a month or two - but currently looks like that's going to end up being cancelled for an FTV for the amount paid so far - unless Joe opens up the US), but more than 5 months out - why would they be pushing to cancel?
They give a short time to reply to the options in the text or they will cancel. Something to do with it being a holiday. If option to delay cancellation is not clear you need to call ASAP.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:37 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I've got October AMS-LHR-LAS rtn about to be cancelled. Given it only cost Ł975, I should probably switch the dates until next year.

Would they allow me to cut the AMS leg (LHR is within 300 miles) and just switch it to LHR-LAS June 2021?

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Changes of gateway are only now allowed where that specific flight has been cancelled - so to answer your question only if it is the AMS-LHR flight which is cancelled.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Theo C Cupier
They give a short time to reply to the options in the text or they will cancel. Something to do with it being a holiday. If option to delay cancellation is not clear you need to call ASAP.
Thanks - got it sorted with a very helpful agent from the (Newcastle?) call center. Also managed to get my DUB starting point and SOF return point both changed to GLA (thanks mostly to SOF schedule making the final leg unworkable short of a 4 day layover in London).
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Good result but clearly still a lottery on what agents are prepared to do re unaffected sectors.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PxC
I've got October AMS-LHR-LAS rtn about to be cancelled. Given it only cost Ł975, I should probably switch the dates until next year.

Would they allow me to cut the AMS leg (LHR is within 300 miles) and just switch it to LHR-LAS June 2021?

Thanks
Which is why you should’ve booked AMS-LGW when this deal was in full flow

I did for Xmas and the AMS-LGW has been cancelled so can shunt onwards and drop the AMS leg over two transactions if USA remains closed
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by jnagar
Quick follow-up question: since the LHR-BCN segment was cancelled (in J class), I wonder what that segment is "worth" if I just have them refund that leg outright? That way we could just buy a new fare to LIS or OPO for a nominal amount and avoid a complete re-pricing of the fare. The telephone rep did not have an answer, and sent the question onward to some other specialized department, but won't have an answer for up to 72hrs, and our original flight is just a day or two later than that answer might come...

Thanks again!
The answer, in case anyone is interested: $226.66 per person, in our case, is the value of the LHR-BCN portion of our journey, in J class. While we may have bit at that a couple days ago, our alternatives have slimmed in the past two days, so we probably won't cancel this leg after all, and will just purchase another ticket from BCN onwards...
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:16 pm

Situation:
Purchaseed in May 2021 a YVR-LHR cash ticket business class booked for aug 25th outbound and Sept 25th return. Outbound was cancelled and until the day of the outbound flight, I had access to make changes online, however no longer able to change this myself as it shown as "flown" even though the flight was not operated. It still shows me booked onto the return flight in September despite not having flown the outbound. I want to rebook this whole trip for later dates and would only take a refund if rebooking is not possible. Not interested in a voucher

Two questions:
1. I want to do a rebooking in the future, dates TBD, and possibly not calling in to rebook until the new year, but do I need to do anything about the return leg in September which manage my booking still shows me as booked on? If I do nothing will it totally stuff up my ability to rebook later? Do I need to commit to a rebooking before that scheduled return flight that I appear to still be booked into?
2. When I rebook, I would like to turn around in MAN instead of LHR. Will it be possible to rebook into YVR-LHR-MAN flights assuming cabin space available at no extra cost? LHR and MAN are less than 300 miles apart however it would be adding an extra flight segment each way so not sure if this within policy.

Thanks for answers!
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jnagar
The answer, in case anyone is interested: $226.66 per person, in our case, is the value of the LHR-BCN portion of our journey, in J class. While we may have bit at that a couple days ago, our alternatives have slimmed in the past two days, so we probably won't cancel this leg after all, and will just purchase another ticket from BCN onwards...
Apologies for not spotting your earlier message. If I hadn't seen the above I would have said that you wouldn't get a lot, I would have estimated Ł50 to Ł100, since normally this would be an add-on fare (which is low) or a through fare and BCN is usually on the cheap side to the level of competition there. So that's at the top end of my expectations, and just proves you can't rely on random people on the internet! Good luck trying to get this all to happen, complex schedules aren't very easy to pull off at the moment.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Varus50
1. I want to do a rebooking in the future, dates TBD, and possibly not calling in to rebook until the new year, but do I need to do anything about the return leg in September which manage my booking still shows me as booked on? If I do nothing will it totally stuff up my ability to rebook later? Do I need to commit to a rebooking before that scheduled return flight that I appear to still be booked into?
2. When I rebook, I would like to turn around in MAN instead of LHR. Will it be possible to rebook into YVR-LHR-MAN flights assuming cabin space available at no extra cost? LHR and MAN are less than 300 miles apart however it would be adding an extra flight segment each way so not sure if this within policy.
I would try and do something here since you are at risk of being deemed as a no-show. At the very least I would ask the contact centre to either put in a ghost sector to replace the inbound, or to put some notes to explain that the outbound was cancelled and you need more time to come up with options.
For the Manchester bit, well that's pushing the change gateway policy quite a bit since you would still be going via LHR. If there was a DUB routing you may get away with it, but seeemingly only on the outbound. You cannot change the inbound, other than as a fare reprice option, if that flight isn't cancelled. Obviously you should to some investigation on fares to MAN to see if in fact an eVoucher plus rebook is more cost effective, we're seeing quite a few cases elsewhere when base fares have been reduced on rebooked trips.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:51 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Which is why you should’ve booked AMS-LGW when this deal was in full flow

I did for Xmas and the AMS-LGW has been cancelled so can shunt onwards and drop the AMS leg over two transactions if USA remains closed
Well the Vegas legs will be cancelled in the next few days anyway , so the question remains. After cancellation, can I drop AMS and I switch to LHR-LAS next June?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PxC
Well the Vegas legs will be cancelled in the next few days anyway , so the question remains. After cancellation, can I drop AMS and I switch to LHR-LAS next June?
see my answer in post 2433. you can only do changes of gateway for flights on a booking which have actually been cancelled now. if your LHR-LAS is cancelled you can't invoke that to drop the AMS leg.

also changes of gateway are only allowed when staying within -3/+14 days of the original dates, so if you want to move to June 2022 you can't use that unfortunately.
PxC likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Blue
I have EDI-LHR-MCO-LHR-EDI booked with Avios, departing Nov and returning Dec. BA changed the time of the LHR-MCO flight over the winter schedule and, due to the flight leaving 2 hours earlier than when I booked, I had a misconnect (45 mins connection at LHR). I had anticipated BA putting me on an earlier flight from EDI (the 0835 flight would connect just fine). A couple of weeks ago I checked MMB and only the inbound is showing - the outbound has disappeared. I decided to leave it to see if they would change the outbound flight but nothing so far. I've tried contacting BA several times in the last few days but, as a lowly blue now, they either don't answer or don't accept the call. I've tried live chat but keep on being disconnected owing to lost connection. Other than keep on trying, is there any advice?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would try and do something here since you are at risk of being deemed as a no-show. At the very least I would ask the contact centre to either put in a ghost sector to replace the inbound, or to put some notes to explain that the outbound was cancelled and you need more time to come up with options.
For the Manchester bit, well that's pushing the change gateway policy quite a bit since you would still be going via LHR. If there was a DUB routing you may get away with it, but seeemingly only on the outbound. You cannot change the inbound, other than as a fare reprice option, if that flight isn't cancelled. Obviously you should to some investigation on fares to MAN to see if in fact an eVoucher plus rebook is more cost effective, we're seeing quite a few cases elsewhere when base fares have been reduced on rebooked trips.
Like the OP, my outbound was cancelled and I did not call to request more time to rebook and now the return has been flown. Would I still be able to rebook or will there be issues?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: BA, AA, UA, VS, DL, EI, Hilton, Marriot
If they cancelled your outbound how could you possibly of got to your destination to fly the return, especially as all your energy was devoted to trying to call them to no avail. This is their issue to resolve to your satisfaction and it's your choice of full refund of cash paid, FTV of full payment to a voucher (why would you accept unless you've a 241 to preserve), or rebook to a time of your choosing (ignoring ticket validity) as long as seats available in cabin for no extra cash/avios. There is a rumour this is being reviewed by BA but they lost a CEDR case that the 8th July policy may have been a response to so we'll see. Hope it works out ok.
hsumh316 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.