Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
These are the fare rules for the only D class fare I could find for departure on 1SEP, purchased on 1SEP, at a price £416.
That would still have a service fee of £15 (and seems an incredible fare for a domestic, I've booked a WTP trip to Canada for less). That's for an online cancellation, which of course BA has taken away, so you risk a £30 service fee unless you get an agent aware of that point.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Firstly I would say think about getting a refund. We see a lot of people going to a lot of effort to shore up maybe bookings, when cash sitting in your piggy bank is so much easier! I don't get this argument that "my fare is so incredibly good it will never ever be repeated", that simply isn't how aviation markets work.

I would certainly give it another go with the contact centre, the problem for you presumably is that the operating outbound has to be dealt with before the replacement flights become available on the 355 day rule. And there will be nothing an agent can do to change that, other than to ghost sector it. The next fallback is to book other dates which may work and may also be cancelled, but that's the mother of all maybe bookings. And if that doesn't work, just go for the refund and book when you are 8 to 6 weeks from departure, which statistically is the best time to buy flights.
Just called again and spoke with a more helpful agent..even though she didn't create a ghost booking as such she has made notes against the booking confirming the outbound flight and that I just need to confirm the inbound flight when it's available on Thursday...if she did the official change to the outbound flight today I was advised I may have to pay a fee to change the inbound flight...not wanting a refund on this as it really was a great deal in a sale plus an extra hotline discount which I no longer have access to..also hotels with free cancellation for next year are still very cheap..plus already have JFK bookings for November and Easter so didn't want to move this one speculatively...thanks everyone for your help as always!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
How long should it take for a ticket to be reissued? Cash + avios for $$$ off fare.

Original flights booked via BA for October. BA ticketed/ AA operated flights JFK -> MIA -> MAD/MAD -> JFK -> DCA
Called in to BA on 23 Aug, and was able to change flights to near end of September for no change in fare, no change in booking reference number, and no phone fee (something about refunding, then rebooking on their end) . Simple flight change, same destination: BA ticketed/ AA operated - DCA -> JFK -> MAD/MAD -> JFK -> DCA

I was told they were busy, and it could take a bit to get the ticket reissued. I was able to select seats on the AA site, too. I keep checking on the BA app, and BA site, and while my flights show up correctly with date/time, there is not a ticket number. I have not received an updated receipt either. When should I start worrying or call to check on this?
Follow-up: I have a new ticket number as well an eVoucher for the fare difference. It took about 2 weeks for them to process the changes. Glad it was a simple change, and a smooth processing process for BA.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jnagar
I have a couple questions in the spirit of this topic. First, here's my story: I booked the following itinerary: PDX-SEA-LHR-BCN in F, returning LIS-LHR-LAX-PDX in J. Heavily discounted cash fare direct through BA (~$2500 R/T). Since booking, I received first one email indicating one leg had been cancelled, and then another indicating a separate flight leg had been cancelled.

I understand based on reading the earlier posts/wiki that I am entitled to rebook the same routing to alternate dates, and fare will not be recalculated/increased. OR that I may cancel prior to accepting their proposed changes prior to travel and receive a refund in full.

My questions follow:
1) Do I just get "one shot" at making any changes/refunds, after which it's back to the original terms (non-refundable / changes subject to fare changes)? Or if I accept/make changes today would I still be entitled to a full refund closer to flight time? (edit: looks like @ABZLocal asked this yesterday as well)
2) Is the answer to 1) impacted by the fact that two legs were cancelled? i.e. could I call and make a modification to one leg whilst not accepting the second change until a later date? At which time I'd still be able to modify the flights or get a full refund?
3) Any anecdotal info about BA's willingness to minor route changes (i.e. flying into Portugal instead of Spain) in such a situation? I presume this would be easy enough to talk my way into...?
4) Any thoughts on the chances I could get them to swap F and J on the outbound/return?
5) If I call in to discuss options, can I refuse to "accept" their changes and leave the door open to calling back later to make the changes official? I'm reluctant to call now and forfeit my ability to change these things down the line. Given the delta variant I'd like to have options open to me closer to the mid-Sept departure...

Thank you!
Though some have answered various questions here, I figured I'd recap what I learned from BA when I called in myself:

First off: about rebooking to a later date: the agent said I was NOT entitled to change the flights to a later date (i.e. 2022) without regard to fare/class. In fact, they advised that they could issue a FTV in that case, for use at the later date. But I'd be subject to the fare at the time of rebooking. NOT what I'd read in this thread. Perhaps this was a misunderstanding between me and the agent, but they seemed pretty certain.

1) Yes: one shot. Unless there's a future cancellation
2) No impact: one shot to make the changes. Unless there's a future cancellation
3) Someone quoted BA's 300mi modification allowance. They seem pretty strict about the 300mi rule. Though one agent quoted a higher 350mi limit. So we could not change our BCN arrival to MAD either way, since it's 375mi.
4) No chance--it would be subject to the difference in fare, yada yada yada
5) Yes. Though I had a fright today when I called a second time to ask some follow-up questions, where the agent was rather insistent I had accepted the changes. He was incorrect, and this was straightened out without too much wasted adrenaline.

Last edited by GallyChef; Sep 4, 2021 at 2:14 pm Reason: missed one point ("first off...")
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:10 pm

I had the last segment cancelled from my PDX-SEA-LHR-BCN (LHR-BCN cancelled)--PDX-SEA is an Alaska codeshare, remainder of the flights are on BA metal.

I called in to ask if that would allow some change in routing due to the cancellation: specifically, whether they would allow us to fly via LAX instead of SEA. I was told "no" since there are no codeshare flights from PDX-LAX. Further, dropping the first segment and finding our own way to LAX is apparently not possible either, since it's over the 300mi limit in gateway changes. Is there any way around this, or are these the hard and fast rules?

Ideally we'd be flying PDX-LAX in the evening, spending the night there, and then taking the first flight out from LAX-LHR (16:15).

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jnagar
I had the last segment cancelled from my PDX-SEA-LHR-BCN (LHR-BCN cancelled)--PDX-SEA is an Alaska codeshare, remainder of the flights are on BA metal.
1) With the LHR-BCN cancellation you can rebook to another date for that booking, up to 1 year after PDX-SEA as initially scheduled.
2) You can be rebooked LHR-MAD-BCN quite easily
3) You can be rebooked from PDX to SEA or YVR if that helps you make the BCN service (but given 2 that doesn't really make sense).
4) You can also be rebooked PDX-ORD-LHR or PDX-DFW-LHR since AS has codeshares on those routes
5) You can have a full refund.
I can't see a PDX-LAX option but obviously it depends on the date concerned. Not much of this makes sense to me since essentially PDX-BCN looks do-able on some sample dates, with minor route changes, I don't see how LAX helps matters.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:13 pm

1) With the LHR-BCN cancellation you can rebook to another date for that booking, up to 1 year after PDX-SEA as initially scheduled.
I can't see a PDX-LAX option but obviously it depends on the date concerned. Not much of this makes sense to me since essentially PDX-BCN looks do-able on some sample dates, with minor route changes, I don't see how LAX helps matters.
The idea of flying through LAX is purely personal: we'd appreciate being able to have a short <24hr stop to pass off a couple items to family and to perhaps have dinner. It also has the side-effect of giving us an extra hour's flight time in F to LHR (allowing us to enjoy a theoretical extra hour of amenities prior to sleeping), plus slightly better EQM / AS points due to the longer F leg. None of these are all too terribly important--we were fine flying though SEA in the first place, just thought it would be nice to make the change if we could, given the circumstances...
Old Sep 5, 2021, 9:29 am

Can I use a voucher from the cancelled BA Holiday to pay cash part for the reward booking?
Old Sep 5, 2021, 11:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oruvin
Can I use a voucher from the cancelled BA Holiday to pay cash part for the reward booking?
You can't use cash evouchers/FTVs for reward bookings and vice versa. Basically FTVs from reward bookings must be used for new reward bookings, and FTVs from cash bookings must be used for new cash bookings.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Pick new flights or BAH will cancel booking?!?

I've a trip to the US booked for Feb 2022 which has received a couple of cancellations so far (1 US internal flight, and SOF-LHR leg) - nothing major (still have both F legs UuA from CW) and no urgent need to rebook at the moment...or so i thought until i just received a text from BA informing me that i had to rebook new flights by the 10th of September or they would automatically cancel and refund the entire trip.

Is this normal? I could see the point if this related to my trip in October (which I'd actually LIKE a cancellation for, so i could move out a month or two - but currently looks like that's going to end up being cancelled for an FTV for the amount paid so far - unless Joe opens up the US), but more than 5 months out - why would they be pushing to cancel?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:07 pm

2) You can be rebooked LHR-MAD-BCN quite easily
3) You can be rebooked from PDX to SEA or YVR if that helps you make the BCN service (but given 2 that doesn't really make sense).
4) You can also be rebooked PDX-ORD-LHR or PDX-DFW-LHR since AS has codeshares on those routes
5) You can have a full refund.
Quick follow-up question: since the LHR-BCN segment was cancelled (in J class), I wonder what that segment is "worth" if I just have them refund that leg outright? That way we could just buy a new fare to LIS or OPO for a nominal amount and avoid a complete re-pricing of the fare. The telephone rep did not have an answer, and sent the question onward to some other specialized department, but won't have an answer for up to 72hrs, and our original flight is just a day or two later than that answer might come...

Thanks again!

Last edited by GallyChef; Sep 6, 2021 at 2:08 pm Reason: typo/clarity
Old Sep 6, 2021, 2:26 pm
hmv

Is it me or is BA having quite some issues lately with the manage my booking? Just checked what options there are to change my flight back from Chicago to a day later, and noticed that a few days ago I got the modern look with a selected amount of change (plus price) while now I first need to select the flights and then be able to see the price.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Booked a cash flight on ba.com (USA-EU) a few hours ago but I need to cancel. Well within the 24 hour cancellation period. However, the website is only giving me an option for travel vouchers. Do I need to call them to get a refund to my credit card?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Pochama
Booked a cash flight on ba.com (USA-EU) a few hours ago but I need to cancel. Well within the 24 hour cancellation period. However, the website is only giving me an option for travel vouchers. Do I need to call them to get a refund to my credit card?
Yes. Expect it to be difficult to get through, though. Try engaging via the online chat at the same time.
Pochama likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Pochama
I had this situation about 8 weeks ago. Could never get through by phone, sent them a tweet which worked as a time stamp of the request. It took a number of follow ups to get processed however, and around 6 weeks. Would call and open a chat window at the same time, and go with whatever answers first. Did the same thing last week on another matter and to my amazement only took 20 mins on the phone to get through. YMMV
Pochama likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.