Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA, AA, UA, VS, DL, EI, Hilton, Marriot
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Sorry, no - is a schedule change (my bad for including cancellation!)
Has your flight number changed? If so it's s cancellation so better options. Is airport the same? What date?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by KARFA
14 days only applies to compensation.

Refund and re-route entitlements are not limited to when the notification of cancellation was received.
Thanks for this. I have responded restating the case. I will file small claims court + fees after the next negative response, rather than pursuing with the insurers.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
BA Holiday in November to Singapore inward flight cancelled. What are my options are they just a refund or a FTV ?
Advice appreciated, thanks in advance.
Finally got through to BAH this evening after very many attempts from 0800 , whole holiday moved forward 2 days, with no extra costs. Added bonus of getting window seats in both directions. Very helpful rep at the end of her working day, well done to her.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:26 pm

Rumour about countries going on the red list…

We are due to fly to St Lucia, on Avios on Saturday, but the rumour is that St Lucia will go on the red list from Sunday.

If that is correct, what are our options?
- will BA cancel our flights? When?
- can we rebook for the same dates, but somewhere else? Does it need to be within 300 miles (BGI)? Can it be further afield (DXB?)?
- am I correct in thinking that we wouldn’t need Avios availability to rebook.

Hotel booked with BA Holidays: presumably I can also cancel / rebook (BGI or similar)?

can all of that be done on such a tight timescale? I am assuming that the official news (of correct) will be on Thursday. Is it achievable to rebook so quickly?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:48 pm

Cancel/Change Return leg of Itinerary

I'm being slightly opportunistic/cheeky with this one but hopefully someone can help me explore the possible.

I booked a BA return itinerary KIN-LGW-DUB in WT+. 1 adult, 1child. Booked on BA.Com. EI operated, BA codeshare for the LGW-DUB leg. I'm due to do the return journey in a few days but I spy award ticket availability in CW. I have buckets of AA miles so can potentially book the award ticket with them.

My questions for this thread:
1. Can I cancel my return leg and get a voucher for future travel (i'll be doing this route again)? I'm not clear on whether this option is available after outbound legs...
2. Are the vouchers transferable or for me (or someone with exact same name) only? Obviously value of them increases if can use with family/friends
3. If cancel not an option, I presume I can easily change the remaining segment to a future date? - and then book a one-way or award ticket when I need to take the trip next time

Annoyingly, the website is very poor at spelling out ticket-specific cancellation and change rules anymore so difficult for customers to decipher directly.

Other questions on the award ticket element that are off-topic but for which I'd welcome any thoughts:

1. Will i be able to hold or reserve (but presumably not ticket) the award ticket with AA whilst i still have a revenue ticket open on the same flights?
2. Or will I have to cancel the revenue ticket first and then pray the award availability remains open? (I don't fancy that....)
3. Any other wrinkles with this approach that I'm not thinking of?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
1. Yes you can FTV a part flown booking. You will get an offline one and it won’t show the exact value on the email. You would have to call to use it to book.

2. It won’t be transferable so only for the passenger named on the existing booking.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boo Boo
We are due to fly to St Lucia, on Avios on Saturday, but the rumour is that St Lucia will go on the red list from Sunday.

- can we rebook for the same dates, but somewhere else? Does it need to be within 300 miles (BGI)? Can it be further afield (DXB?)?

Hotel booked with BA Holidays: presumably I can also cancel / rebook (BGI or similar)?

can all of that be done on such a tight timescale? I am assuming that the official news (of correct) will be on Thursday. Is it achievable to rebook so quickly?
- probably won't be cancelled for a few days after any change as there are still people coming back, beyond that any cancellations would be done next week or beyond
- if cancelled yes you can only book within 300 miles, anything further you would be liable to pay any fare difference, the 300 miles is only when boking for dates within -3/+14 days of the original travel dates
- if your flights are cancelled and you are rebooking to the same destination then you don't need avios availability

I understand with BAH bookings even if your flights are not cancelled, if your destination changes status for the worse you can cancel and get a full refund.
Boo Boo likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold

You might struggle to get through to BA holidays after the news breaks....

We were due to fly to St Lucia on Friday...Heard the same romour about St Lucia, so called up BA at 8:00 yesterday morning. We did change to Barbados.
1. We did pay a change fee (As this was our change, was Ł150 per person, given the cost of the holiday, that was fine)
2. Barbados flies from Heathrow, not Gatwick, so if you change there, give yourself enough time to change everything else (Parking / Premier Inn, if booked for the night)
3. Barbados needs the PCR test done by a Healthcare Professional, not a self test, so you need enough time to book that too
4. Flights to alternate Islands are getitng a bit busy now, so prices are higher than we paid to St Lucia, so the holiday there was a 'bit' more for the same holiday

Good luck!
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
1. Yes you can FTV a part flown booking. You will get an offline one and it won’t show the exact value on the email. You would have to call to use it to book.

2. It won’t be transferable so only for the passenger named on the existing booking.
Originally Posted by stuvoi
You might struggle to get through to BA holidays after the news breaks....

We were due to fly to St Lucia on Friday...Heard the same romour about St Lucia, so called up BA at 8:00 yesterday morning. We did change to Barbados.
1. We did pay a change fee (As this was our change, was Ł150 per person, given the cost of the holiday, that was fine)
2. Barbados flies from Heathrow, not Gatwick, so if you change there, give yourself enough time to change everything else (Parking / Premier Inn, if booked for the night)
3. Barbados needs the PCR test done by a Healthcare Professional, not a self test, so you need enough time to book that too
4. Flights to alternate Islands are getitng a bit busy now, so prices are higher than we paid to St Lucia, so the holiday there was a 'bit' more for the same holiday

Good luck!
Thank you both. I will start among calls (just about to have PCR). Yes, getting through to BA Holidays is what worries me (Gold Line for BA ok for flights).

so BA Holidays were happy to change despite it only being a rumour? I am worried about changing the flights, then not being able to change / cancel the hotel (ie it doesn’t go red). Ash flow is ok, but don’t really want to completely loose several thousands.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you both. I will start among calls (just about to have PCR). Yes, getting through to BA Holidays is what worries me (Gold Line for BA ok for flights).

so BA Holidays were happy to change despite it only being a rumour? I am worried about changing the flights, then not being able to change / cancel the hotel (ie it doesn’t go red). Ash flow is ok, but don’t really want to completely loose several thousands.
Yes, BA changed flights & hotel to different Island (Still on same booking). So they did the whole update in one go. As it was same booking, I didn't have to worry about refund / voucher and timing difference in being able to reuse them.

Not sure what Ash flow is, but glad it's ok.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Apologies if this is a dumb question. If I pay for flights or a holiday with BA using evouchers to pay for the entire itinerary, will BA refund me in cash or evouchers? I have some evouchers I need to use, but I would be less keen to book a flight or apply them to a BAH balance if I knew BA could legally just refund part or whole of my booking expenditure in evoucher form in the event of involuntary cancellation.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:04 am

Hi there. I had both outbound and return flights to Lisbon cancelled and had to phone to change them. I’ve changed the outbound but not the return because the flight we want is full at the moment. So wanted to call back if any seats turn up. However app/website is not allowing me to access manage my booking page. It just tells me that my return is cancelled and do I want a refund etc or call to change. Do you think I’ll be able to check in tomorrow for the outbound flight online. Or will I need to choose my return flight first. I’d quite like to leave it open to see what happens re seats. But I’ve got a feeling I might not be able to. I haven’t been able to upload any covid stuff or anything because of this. Or is there a way round this page and enter manage my booking page? Many thanks, Julian.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Got a trip to Hong Kong in October/November, despite booking last January the flights haven't moved a minute!

Presuming that with BA operating there once a day the flight is unlikely to be cancelled, but with non HK nationals facing a 21 day quarantine, a trip is obviously off the cards. Given that BA hasn't cancelled the service - I presume that despite the restrictions I'm unable to get a cash refund and my only option is an FTV?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Got a trip to Hong Kong in October/November, despite booking last January the flights haven't moved a minute!

Presuming that with BA operating there once a day the flight is unlikely to be cancelled, but with non HK nationals facing a 21 day quarantine, a trip is obviously off the cards. Given that BA hasn't cancelled the service - I presume that despite the restrictions I'm unable to get a cash refund and my only option is an FTV?
Unfortunately BA doesn't really care about restrictions since that is the passenger's problem and the same applies for quarantine. So unless the flight is cancelled, you will not get free cancellation and the original booking conditions apply. FTV is best option for you currently.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

Currently, if the flight is shown as operating .
, you would only get a ftv.

Unless you needed the ftv now I might be tempted to wait until closer to departure in case of a cancellation or significant time switch which would enable a refund to happen.

Regards
Tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.