Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:15 am

Advice please

Just received email saying First avios flight to Miami cancelled. Given a new flight in Club on same date/ same flight number but slightly different time.
is this a cancellation or just a downgrade?
Hoping it is technically a cancellation that would allow me to rebook months later without avios availability.
Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Apologies, I am terrible at forum searches. What are the rules again for flight time changes?

Same flight number, 10am departure instead of 2pm on a short trip to Dubai.

Can I move FOC / refund? or just have to accept?
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Schedule Time Changes
For re-timings of BA flights (see above for cancellations), your options are:

• Rebook on another BA flight for same origin and destination (although change in airport within same city is allowed).
  • Available for -2/+2 days of original date - you do not need same selling class or reward availability, any space in the same cabin will be sufficient. There will be no fare difference or fees to pay.
  • Full refund only available for changes of more than 240 minutes, and for connecting flights only where the total change origin to final destination is 240 minutes
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC
There seems to be a few time changes happening. Just received notice from BA that my BA193 (LHR/DFW) on 15/12/21 has changed departure times from 1545 to1215. I know there is plenty of time, but am wondering if this is just a precursor of more to happen in the future.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hi All

Wondering what your current experience is for refunds to arrive on credit cards, is the average still around 7 to 10 working days?

Cheers
D
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi All

Wondering what your current experience is for refunds to arrive on credit cards, is the average still around 7 to 10 working days?

Cheers
D
I called on Friday late to take a refund on two BAH that had cancelled flights; my CC shows transaction as Saturday, and the funds were showing as negative transactions later on Monday. Very impressed !
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:08 am

It very much depends on whether the refund needs some manual processing or is automatic. The latter may take 1-2 weeks, the former is often done and back on your card within 3 days.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Ipswich1984
So just had our next flight change, now a new flight back from NYC.

This has made us relook at our plans and we have booked the same trip for February and just paid the deposit. We are still contemplating what to do with our trip for October, the balance is due on 7th October and are undecided what to do, do we cancel and admit defeat or do we pay the balance and hope if there hasn’t been an announcement by then that Joe let’s us in by 28th October.

The bit I can’t find the answer for is whether we would get our money back rather than vouchers we pay the balance and the restrictions don’t change by the time we are due to fly?
So finally got through to BA via the chat and got exact information of what happens.

If we aren’t able to travel after paying the balance because the USA don’t remove their restrictions then we will get a refund back to the original payment method which for this booking was voucher for the deposit and if we pay the balance (unlikely as that is) then we would get a refund back to the original payment method.

Hope that helps anyone looking for the same information as I couldn’t see exactly what the situation was once you got within 3 weeks of travel (May have missed it though)
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Ipswich1984
So finally got through to BA via the chat and got exact information of what happens.

If we aren’t able to travel after paying the balance because the USA don’t remove their restrictions then we will get a refund back to the original payment method which for this booking was voucher for the deposit and if we pay the balance (unlikely as that is) then we would get a refund back to the original payment method.

Hope that helps anyone looking for the same information as I couldn’t see exactly what the situation was once you got within 3 weeks of travel (May have missed it though)
I don't think this sounds right? My understanding is BAH bookings do allow for full refunds where flights are not cancelled, but this is only when there is a new UK government rules introduced after you booked which will means you now have to require you to quarantine on return. The fact that you may not be able to enter the US still at the time of travel is not a reason which means BA (or most airlines) will give you a full refund.

Otherwise any voluntary cancellation is based on your fare rules, or you can opt to get a FTV.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 10:19 am

I have a cash booking where the first flight was cancelled by BA, rebooked, and not accepted. The rebooked flight has passed. I know CWS has mentioned that the longer I leave it, the trickier it gets. I was just trying to get a little more detail on what is meant by that. I am looking to rebook and was trying to figure out whether there will be issues.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think this sounds right? My understanding is BAH bookings do allow for full refunds where flights are not cancelled, but this is only when there is a new UK government rules introduced after you booked which will means you now have to require you to quarantine on return. The fact that you may not be able to enter the US still at the time of travel is not a reason which means BA (or most airlines) will give you a full refund.

Otherwise any voluntary cancellation is based on your fare rules, or you can opt to get a FTV.
Well that's what the agent on the chat told me, I've saved the transcript of the chat in the likelihood we do pay.

Even after answering it I wrote and clarified that the this was definitely the case to make sure I hadn't misunderstood.

"(8/18/2021, 3:39:09 PM): But what about if it got to the day before travel and there was still no change and we weren't allowed to travel, would we get a refund at that point?
#### (8/18/2021, 3:40:53 PM): Yes, as you aren't able to travel.
null (8/18/2021, 3:42:13 PM): OK, thank you for clarifying that if we aren't able to travel that right up to the departure date we would be able to get a refund for what we had paid. Would this be back to the method that we paid it by?
#### (8/18/2021, 3:44:14 PM): Yes, that's right. I can see there was a voucher used so a new voucher would be issued."

The voucher is for what we have paid as a deposit.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:33 am

Sorry to repost but any ideas where I stand with me accepting a reroute on Air Canada​​ via FB messenger then BA changing their mind 4 days later?

I could live with having to go with LH etc instead but they're refusing to reroute with anyone and expect me to wait until their next YVR service in 2 weeks time.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
It very much depends on whether the refund needs some manual processing or is automatic. The latter may take 1-2 weeks, the former is often done and back on your card within 3 days.
Thanks as always - I believe I will need to wait longer (FTV + additional cash booking) and I still can see the cancelled booking in MMB (and even the original booking I've got the FTV for). I guess that's the reason why I never saw the disruption page so a strong indication for manual work which needs to be done...
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by BXK_Oz
There seems to be a few time changes happening. Just received notice from BA that my BA193 (LHR/DFW) on 15/12/21 has changed departure times from 1545 to1215. I know there is plenty of time, but am wondering if this is just a precursor of more to happen in the future.
Same for me in November
Old Aug 19, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Bit of help/advice needed

If I have a BA 125-stock cash ticket, LHR-MIA-XXX (US domestic connection on AA) where the LHR-MIA sector is BA operated , and if/when the BA tatl flight is cancelled, will I be able to also move the AA domestic flight many months forward under the BA 12 month policy. And would it make any difference if the AA domestic flight on the ticket is BA flight number or AA flight number.

Basically have a ticket for late Sept that looks very likely to be cancelled soon, wanna move it to Dec/Jan , but don't wanna run into trouble trying to move the AA domestic sector months ahead, whereas I know the BA sector is easily moved that far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.