Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jrichardf
Hi. Apologies, I’m sure this has probably been asked already but cannot find the answer. My outbound flight to Lisbon has been cancelled and i think I’m happy (sort of) with changing it to an earlier flight via Madrid. However, it’s looking like next week my return flight is probably going to be cancelled too. The only options are much earlier flights rather than my evening one, which doesn’t really work. Can I get a evoucher or FTV for just the return flights (and book with another airline) and change the outbound flight. Or does it have to be the same option for both flights in the booking? Many thanks, Julian.
Yes you can just FTV the return flight and take the amended outbound, but you have to watch the value for money on that one, ticketing fares can be slanted to one of the two legs and an FTV won't always be half the ticket fare. But it is possible. BA also can rebook on some other airlines, such as LH, OS and LX, as well as Iberia, so there are other options. You can also do the reverse, to save someone from asking that question, FTV the outbound and retain the inbound, but that takes a bit more work for the agent.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can get a FTV for the return flight but only once you have flown your outbound. So you could book with another airline for the return, and then just request the FTV once you get to Lisbon.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is there a way to check if BA508 on September 2nd has been canned? It's not available to book on the website, haven't had a cancellation notification yet...
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by richiejv
Is there a way to check if BA508 on September 2nd has been canned? It's not available to book on the website, haven't had a cancellation notification yet...
Its zeroed out so I expect that it will be. There another showing wide open 30 minutes earlier which is wide open so I’m not really surprised.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Its zeroed out so I expect that it will be. There another showing wide open 30 minutes earlier which is wide open so I’m not really surprised.
Thought as much. The one that's left is currently at £266 for basic economy and £393 for business so I was a little worried that there might not be much room on there for us, we were previously on a later flight which also got cancelled. Thank you kindly PG!
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:48 am

Thanks so much for the responses. Really incredibly helpful. One more question. Is there a way of getting a sort of ‘heads up’ which flights are going to be cancelled or not. My outbound flight was cancelled last Monday. I saw that yesterday, a lot of the following week’s flights to/from Lisbon were cancelled. I’m assuming I’ll just have to wait til next Monday to see if my flight (which will be the week after those just cancelled) will be one of those to be cancelled. Correct? Many thanks again! Julian.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Cancellations are rolling events, they aren't really timetabled. Typically they don't happen within 2 weeks of travel but even that isn't 100% certain. If you are making a booking some way off then it goes with the territory.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
[QUOTE=corporate-wage-slave;33479035Typically they don't happen within 2 weeks of travel but even that isn't 100% certain.[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts as to how late in the day a cancellation may take place. We’re currently booked on this Sundays flight to Cancun and I’ve still got to purchase onward flights to US and health insurance. I’m holding off buying to try and minimise exposure to any consequential losses in the event of a late cancellation.

thanks
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue
Any thoughts as to how late in the day a cancellation may take place. We’re currently booked on this Sundays flight to Cancun and I’ve still got to purchase onward flights to US and health insurance. I’m holding off buying to try and minimise exposure to any consequential losses in the event of a late cancellation.

thanks
Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing LHR on 08/15/21 12:00 AM for CUN
Flying BA  
Point of Sale: UK
                                                                     Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
BA 2203       0      LHR                CUN                777       Su              J9 C9 D0 R0 I0 W9 E9 T0 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 
                     08/15/21 11:25 AM  08/15/21 3:55 PM             NA / NA
Looks like quite a busy flight + they went to the effort of moving it over to Heathrow (presumably to accommodate it as a red list arrival back) - I'd say you're OK!
zanderblue likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can I check if it's possible to move a BA holiday without fees if flights are cancelled (same as you would if it was a flight only booking)?

My BA Holidays booking to Mexico next month has obviously been cancelled. I received an email saying my flight has been cancelled and another email saying they would automatically be refunding my holiday deposit. If I wanted to move it to next year without paying a price difference, would this be possible? Or should I just price it up and book again.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
If BA cancel my flight, rebook me onto a non OW carrier in this case LH/OS) am I still able to claim Avios and TP's?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by reddishvelvet
Can I check if it's possible to move a BA holiday without fees if flights are cancelled (same as you would if it was a flight only booking)?

My BA Holidays booking to Mexico next month has obviously been cancelled. I received an email saying my flight has been cancelled and another email saying they would automatically be refunding my holiday deposit. If I wanted to move it to next year without paying a price difference, would this be possible? Or should I just price it up and book again.
You can certainly move it without paying any change fees. But that's different to any difference in the cost of the holiday itself - and you will have to pay that (unless of course you can find something cheaper, in which case you'll get the benefit that way as well)
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
If BA cancel my flight, rebook me onto a non OW carrier in this case LH/OS) am I still able to claim Avios and TP's?
Have they offered to move you and was it difficult to get them to?

Can you still claim a Future travel voucher if they do this and you later cannot travel?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by richiejv
Thought as much. The one that's left is currently at £266 for basic economy and £393 for business so I was a little worried that there might not be much room on there for us, we were previously on a later flight which also got cancelled. Thank you kindly PG!
My pleasure Darling - I've been helped so often by the good folk here that I am happy to help in any way that I am able.
richiejv likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MaxiStoat
Have they offered to move you and was it difficult to get them to?

Can you still claim a Future travel voucher if they do this and you later cannot travel?
They didn't proactively offer to move me to another carrier, but after asking twice they agreed (first via Twitter, second via Facebook). It wasn't difficult at all, I just found the itinerary that suited me on LH and they rebooked it straight away.

You can still claim a FTV if you do this - I did in the end (wanted to rebook via the 15% sale they had).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.