Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
01 - If your flight is cancelled by BA:

Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit

Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.

BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2023 (now extended from April 2022 including existing FTVs), though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. If you us,ed an FTV to pay for this now cancelled service then you can have a refund back to the FTV's original booking.

Online forms: manual process which may take many weeks
link to webform to claim a refund (UK) or link to webform to claim a refund (US)

Paid Seating Refund:
link to webform to claim a refund (UK)

02 - If your flight is not cancelled but you no longer wish to travel

Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until 31 August 2022 (this has been extended several times). Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee. Travel must be fully completed by this date.

Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.

BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 30 April 2022, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is: https://ba.com/confidence

Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
A full refund of Avios and money paid plus a new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.

03 - How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains

Use the Qantas website and look back to your original PNR. Step by step guide by corporate-wage-slave

04 - Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers

FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.

BA are now issuing eVouchers directly in simple cases, and also proactively replacing existing FTVs with new eVouchers. These are usable online. Complex cases still get FTVs, which require a phone call to book. In both cases, you need to apply online through the Cancellation Options in MMB, and both will generate an email typically within a few minutes. This is how to tell the difference

1) eVouchers will get an email entitled "Your British Airways eVoucher"
This will then have a line like this and the online ability is mentioned in the email text:
Your eVoucher details
125-1234567890 / GBP48.87 / WAGE-SLAVE /

2) FTVs will get an email entitled "Your British Airways Future Travel Voucher"
The relevant line then shows:
Voucher code(s)
125-1234567890

It doesn't take much, by FT standards, to turn a booking too complicated for the automated eVoucher. POUGs, flight changes, TCP, seat payment, pay payment with Avios, UuA. 48 and 72 hour Hold bookings all stop it. But if you made a simple single or return booking, point to point, on BA.com and didn't change it, then you should get an eVoucher.

If you obtain an FTV, deploy it on a new booking which BA then cancels, then you can get a refund of the cash from the first booking that led to the FTV. Or an Avios refund without redeposit fees if it was a redemption.
Print Wikipost

BA Covid-19 Flight cancellations, rebooking, and refunds | Help and advice thread

Old May 30, 2021, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
BA LHR-VCE cancelled tomorrow. Schedule to VCE gutted and next flight is on a Friday. It’s actually the return leg of a ticket (outbound was months ago).

There’s a direct BA flight today but that’s no good to me. I’d be happy to fly via MAD tomorrow if they’re willing to do that. From what I’m reading it seems like it’s currently easier to get them to book LH than IB despite IB being IAG.

Two questions:
If I go to the airport do they have more rerouting options than over the phone?
As it’s technically the return leg does BA have to look after me if they don’t get me an indirect flight on the day and insist I wait for the direct one on Friday?

I don’t need a hotel but I imagine if BA are supposed to provide one then they’d be more willing with the rerouting options.

Actually there’s a third option I could cancel, but how is the refund calculated on a half flown (outward) ticket?
Old May 30, 2021, 1:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by layz
If I go to the airport do they have more rerouting options than over the phone?
As it’s technically the return leg does BA have to look after me if they don’t get me an indirect flight on the day and insist I wait for the direct one on Friday?

I don’t need a hotel but I imagine if BA are supposed to provide one then they’d be more willing with the rerouting options.

Actually there’s a third option I could cancel, but how is the refund calculated on a half flown (outward) ticket?
Yes, airport staff would just put you on Alitalia or Air France or KLM, I would imagine. Strictly speaking if you turned up with a flight which you knew to be cancelled more than 24 hours earlier then the ground staff can say "ring up BA, we can't touch your ticket" but in reality I don't think this actually happens. It's slow and messy so it's not something I recommend, but if they drew a blank and you ended up buying an on-the-day ticket with another airline then - as BA fully appreciates - you will pay a lot of money for this and BA will struggle to avoid paying for it if you sent it to Customer Relations. Once you realise this, then BA's policies in this area make perfect sense.

Yes, if BA says Friday only you can charge them for a hotel until Friday. That's also impossible for them to avoid.

If you cancelled the ticket (which incidentally you can FTV if you prefer) then it's calculated on a involuntary refund basis. So it's not quite as harsh as "taxes and fees only" but depending on the precise ticket construction you could get a decent amount back. You would need to be quite a wizard in ticket construction to even guess the final figure - and unfortunately there is a high chance of a mistake in this area by the back office team. I reckon on about 20% incorrect calculations, though it goes both ways, they overpay as much as they underpay. In particular the back office team seem to have a poor understanding on the complex rules on APD for domestic to international flights. I generally say expect 40% to 60% of the original ticket fare back, that will be overwhelmingly the case, and a UK-to-somewhere flight is likely to be a higher refund than somewhere-to-UK flight.
Old May 30, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Sorry if already answered, but many of these threads are had to find things in.

Does the normal 24hr pre-flight requirement apply for changes / requests for an FTV for an Avios booking ?
Old May 30, 2021, 4:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Sorry if already answered, but many of these threads are had to find things in.

Does the normal 24hr pre-flight requirement apply for changes / requests for an FTV for an Avios booking ?
Yes, same rules for changing a reward booking whether the booking is made with or without an FTV.

You can request a FTV for any booking up to when check in closes so could change it that way though.
Old May 30, 2021, 2:59 pm

Originally booked a 2-4-1 reward flight 20 months ago with flights last Sept that were cancelled. Had a lot going on at the time, so forgot about them. Only just remembered and checked my credit card statements and have not been refunded, so BA obviously still have my money,

Do I have any options other than a refund ,as it is passed the year that they were booked or is the policy now more flexible. Hoping for the later, but expect the former.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by flashware
Has anyone noticed a delay in refunds lately? I've requested refunds on a few bookings over the last few weeks as I can't reschedule them again due to the 12 month rule; none have shown up in my account yet. I'm guessing that although they were straight forward revenue bookings, but rebooked once or twice each due to prior cancellations maybe that's made them 'complex' and thus it's sitting with the back office team?

A booking I had with Avios.com directly (due to Lloyds Upgrade Voucher) was refunded on the same day without issue, so it's just my direct BA bookings that have gone AWOL. One of the BA bookings was a straight forward points booking on its first cancellation and the cash component is nowhere to be seen, a week ago I was told someone would look into it and update me on Monday (which obviously has come and gone) but that did not happen.
I came to this thread to ask about this. I’d imagine that the new lockdown in India may be a factor as quite a bit of the back office processing involved in manual refunds is done there but that is purely a guess.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Just paid my AMEX bill, and hadn’t even noticed my BAH refund come back in. Text received on 20/05 with three options, pressed ‘request refund’ and Ł350.00 was back on my card on 21/05! Outstanding
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:39 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Originally Posted by flashware
Has anyone noticed a delay in refunds lately? .
Most refunds have been processed quickly. Five came within 10 days, two within 50 days but the most recent still outstanding after 3 months. This might be the impact from the Indian back office. The other 18 bookings were taken as FTVs and were processed immediately.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I’ve got a rather odd anomaly. My best friends are due to fly LHR-ALC 25th June. I checked on Expertflyer as there seem to be loads of cancellations on that route in July. Sure enough the 25th is zeroed out all classes. However the inbound ALC-LHR is not. Clearly to do an inbound there has to be an aircraft. I might add that there is an immense club seating shown on the plan in expert flyer in both directions. My friends have heard nothing but they’ve booked a stand-by to MAD with Avios just in case their flight is actually cancelled.

What do you suppose is the reason for this? If this isn’t the correct thread please move have it moved. I didn’t want to start a new one as there seems to be more that enough on similar subjects at the moment.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:19 am

SOU-ALC still showing as going on 26JUN but not sure if that'll last. Could they not ask to be protected onto that service? There's also a Vueling codeshare operating LGW-ALC on 25JUN but no Club offered on that service.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
OK, the schedule for late-June and early-July is being updated at the moment.
Most likely a flights to major Italian destinations like Rome, Milan, Venice would go on and operate, however, don't rely on smaller destinations like Bari, Perugia, Cagliari, etc...

If you were planning to go to Sicily or Sardinia, the most reliable way would be to fly Alitalia via Rome.
Thanks for letting me know, I've decided to take the hit and not travel at all. I can't risk another cancellation. Thanks for checking.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I’ve got a rather odd anomaly. My best friends are due to fly LHR-ALC 25th June. I checked on Expertflyer as there seem to be loads of cancellations on that route in July. Sure enough the 25th is zeroed out all classes. However the inbound ALC-LHR is not. Clearly to do an inbound there has to be an aircraft.
Only a hypothesis so don’t shoot me if it’s wrong... but could the ‘zero availability’ be because the flight is full, not because it’s in the process of cancellation? In which case it could be a pretty safe bet for operation.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:23 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Since I did not really see my situation in the Wiki, I am wondering if what I was informed by BA is correct.
My flight in Sept was cancelled, and the validity of the ticket is until end of Sept '21. I was informed that I can only rebook without any repricing until end of Sept '21 (ticket validity). After that I will need to pay any fare difference even with any form of voucher I take.

Is this correct? I always assumed that with the Book with Confidence, I should be able to extend the trip to a later date (independent of ticket validity).

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Old Jun 2, 2021, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A voucher will last for the out and return leg to be used by April 2023. It is only a value though - so is worth whatever you have paid in Sept 2020. You can use it for any destination however the value won't change and if the new ticket is more money, you would need to pay the difference
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Is this correct? I always assumed that with the Book with Confidence, I should be able to extend the trip to a later date (independent of ticket validity).
There is no right to rebook beyond ticket validity even for invol. rebooking due to cancellation. And certainly not for vol. rebooking under the Book w/ Confidence policy.

You should take a (full)refund and wait for the next BA sale to book new tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.