Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG/BA secures £2bn UK government backed loan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

It's being reported this evening that IAG (and hence BA) has secured a loan facility of £2bn from the UK Government. The FT is reporting that no dividends can be paid whilst the loan is outstanding, but I can't quote.easily from the FT...

https://www.barrons.com/articles/vir...an-01609429504

British Airways, facing slumping demand due to coronavirus, has secured a £2.0-billion ($2.7-billion, 2.2-billion euros) loan, parent group IAG said Thursday as it also unveiled a Brexit-propelled overhaul. BA, which is slashing thousands of jobs as it battles to survive fallout from the deadly Covid-19 pandemic, also currently faces industrial action in a pay dispute with cargo workers at London's Heathrow airport. "International Airlines Group (IAG) announces that British Airways has received commitments for a five-year term-loan Export Development Guarantee Facility of £2.0 billion underwritten by a syndicate of banks, partially guaranteed by UK Export Finance (UKEF)," the aviation giant said in a statement. "British Airways expects to drawdown the facility in January 2021 subject to agreement of final terms with the lenders and UKEF." UK Export Finance is a state-backed agency which guarantees finance for British companies in order to help them win valuable exports.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Interesting given their previous position on government support, but not unsurprising given the last couple of weeks. Not that large a sum (!!!) given the alleged cash burn, either...
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:35 pm
Suspended

That’s a very big loan.

Last edited by TravelNew; Dec 31, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Why does the fact that Just because the loan is given to IAG mean it’s automatically gone to BA,

IAG has a bailout/loan from the Spanish government but not a penny went to BA.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Why does the fact that Just because the loan is given to IAG mean it’s automatically gone to BA,

IAG has a bailout/loan from the Spanish government but not a penny went to BA.
My understanding of the press snippet is BA received the loan and IAG made the announcement.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
My understanding of the press snippet is BA received the loan and IAG made the announcement.
See here in the FT for more: https://www.ft.com/content/6a0d4cf0-...b-88ef69ab6e00

IAG, which also owns Ireland’s Aer Lingus and Spain’s Iberia, said BA had received commitments for a five-year loan from a syndicate of banks.

The new loan has been facilitated by a state guarantee designed specifically to help UK businesses post Brexit, offered through UK Export Finance (UKEF).
IAG said BA’s £2bn credit line would be drawn down in January, subject to settlement of terms.

However, BA will not be allowed to pay dividends to its parent for the term of the loan, which could put pressure on IAG’s own capacity for dividend payments.

BA is IAG’s biggest single contributor to group profit, the company confirmed.
Prospero likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:47 pm
Suspended

A BA marriage to KLM would’ve been so much better.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I hope the same is now in line for Virgin
SxMan and Sealink like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I concur. While VS might've struggled with profitability and with knowing what they wanted to do when they grew up... losing them would be bad for competition.
Sealink and choosethedrew like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Only if they meet the same rules. Virgin have always been able to ask but never met the criteria required which even now should not be changed.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by SonTech
Only if they meet the same rules. Virgin have always been able to ask but never met the criteria required which even now should not be changed.
Of course, presumably the same applied to BA up until this was announced.

Interesting that BA has taken government money, setting furlough aside, before VS!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar

Interesting that BA has taken government money, setting furlough aside, before VS!
The European competition has already received over 10bn each, in a mix of grants and loans. BA have taken a loan of 2bn, this is really different to a bailout.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:47 am

BA also haven't taken any government money if I'm reading this correctly. It is a loan, that will be supplied by banks, and IF they default, the government will guarantee a % of that loan
revorgap likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
BA also haven't taken any government money if I'm reading this correctly. It is a loan, that will be supplied by banks, and IF they default, the government will guarantee a % of that loan
Semantics. A govt guarantee means it’s effectively govt aid.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
They did a good job of pushing this out late on New Year's Eve... The reporting of it is quite muted. I was quite surprised when I spotted the news around 9pm that several hours had passed and it hadn't made it onto the FT BA forum.

At least BA are doing stuff seemingly in advance of when it's needed so they are not on the backfoot and hopefully will avoid some eleventh hour deal being needed down the line. I suspect that the next few months are going to be very very lean for BA, and even beyond that it's not looking great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.