Travel hopes & wishes for 2021

Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I would like to take my mum to Montreux, for a few days... She loves Queen and Freddie Mercury.

My 40th birthday trip on QM2 was cancelled in May, then re-booked for May2021, which has subsequently been cancelled, so I would quite like to get onboard a ship at some point in 2021 at some point...

As for the rest of it, I don't really know yet.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
For 2021, I wish that all airplane passengers around the world are Covid-19 tested prior to departure and after arrival, and that positive test results are shared easily internationally via a unified contact tracing system.
snapplefan likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
My travel hope and wish and dream is that Singapore tones this down somewhat, at least for people with a right to live/work there.
Indeed. Unlike UK whose government has trouble with enforcement, Singapore on the other hand has batted this down to a tee. If you're under Stay Home Notice (SHN) you'd receive SMS messages thrice a day to get you to confirm your geo location within an hour. And if you're under Quarantine Order (QO), you'd receive video calls up to thrice a day too, and occasional visits in person during the period. So residents (citizens, permanent residents, long term pass holders) should be allowed to complete their isolation at home - and not be "forced" to fork out additional SGD 2,000 per person to stay at some random local hotel. At least with this wish, people living in Singapore will be more willing to travel and support the already battered aviation industry.
clearedforlanding likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
I hope and wish for 960TP 900 TATL business class fares, and 180 160 TP CE routes.
Since joining the forum you have learned well Grasshopper.

I'm going nowhere this year no matter how cheap the fares are.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:49 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
This has been really depressing. Normally I spend big chunks of winter in Maui, so being stuck here in UK where I hate the British climate with gusto has been hard. Miss the sun.
Well, at least it increased my motivation to permanently emigrate to sunnier climes.

I took a punt and booked very long trip to Japan in May, although I think the chance of that happening is perhaps 50/50. I think the likelihood improves for June to 80/20 and pretty much to a 100 percent in July. That is, if vaccine rollout goes here as planned, so fingers crossed.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 4:22 am

Missed my yearly trip to Florida, and was meant to be first time taking our Son to Disney in June to LA, did rebook but I suspect it's unlikely to happen. Madness takes over when you constantly searching for 'US Travel Ban'. Hoping for 2021.. But seeing how things are.. not sure Bidden will remove that anytime soon.. :'(
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
We actually managed to get a quite a few Europe trips in 2020. Being UK based we're now subject to a double whammy of Tier 4 travel ban and being currently banned from travelling by most of the countries we want to go to. We have a trip booked for every month between now and August as we're just re-cycling cancellations / vouchers ATM, but I suspect that the current status quo is going to last for months rather than weeks.

So just being able to travel anywhere at some point is my hope for this year.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pc32435
Missed my yearly trip to Florida, and was meant to be first time taking our Son to Disney in June to LA, did rebook but I suspect it's unlikely to happen. Madness takes over when you constantly searching for 'US Travel Ban'. Hoping for 2021.. But seeing how things are.. not sure Bidden will remove that anytime soon.. :'(
The Presidential Proclamation was signed by the current incumbent. Theres reason to believe that President-Elect Biden will revoke said Proclamation(s) and instead favor a test-prior-to-departure approach (to all international flights).
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by OGG flyer

I took a punt and booked very long trip to Japan in May, although I think the chance of that happening is perhaps 50/50. I think the likelihood improves for June to 80/20 and pretty much to a 100 percent in July. That is, if vaccine rollout goes here as planned, so fingers crossed.
Is that based on anything more than hope? We have two weeks in Japan booked in May - a year after it was ruined the first time around. I didn't think the Japanese government had even approved a vaccine yet, never mind started rolling it out.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:32 am

2020 was very light - one trip Phoenix to visit family, everything else cancelled.

Waiting on April Japan and HKG flights to cancel, not much hope those will go.

Hawaii booked for May.

Rebooked Vienna to November.

Several Qantas vouchers to be used, but their borders look firmly shut so assume those will be pushed to 2022.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
This has been really depressing. Normally I spend big chunks of winter in Maui, so being stuck here in UK where I hate the British climate with gusto has been hard. Miss the sun.
Well, at least it increased my motivation to permanently emigrate to sunnier climes.

I also took a punt on Japan in June but Im not as hopeful as you are even for July.. I wouldnt try take a guess on the odds but I am 100% sure that the chance isnt 100% in July haha.

Japan is very cautious and by July I think the best we can hope for is 30-50% of the U.K. population vaccinated based on targets. Japan wont have approval for the vaccine until at least March.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by jackcarr
Is that based on anything more than hope? We have two weeks in Japan booked in May - a year after it was ruined the first time around. I didn't think the Japanese government had even approved a vaccine yet, never mind started rolling it out.
I did not mean vaccinations in Japan, I meant here. The UK government has a target of vaccinating roughly half the population by Easter. Even if they miss the target by several weeks, this would mean we would be close to heard immunity with that target (especially if we add people who have not been vaccinated but have had the virus). The worst case scenario would be that Covid is endemic but hardly a pandemic in the sense as it is now.

The Japanese PM confirmed yesterday that Olympics would not be postponed. I cannot see why Japan would not allow Brits visit for Olympics at a minimum , because the vaccination target would mean that UK would be one of the lowest risk profile countries in the world by July.

Of course this is my humble opinion. But I think people underappreciate how quickly things can improve if the vaccination target is met, even if the target is missed by a couple months.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The Japanese PM confirmed yesterday that Olympics would not be postponed. I cannot see why Japan would not allow Brits visit for Olympics at a minimum , because the vaccination target would mean that UK would be one of the lowest risk profile countries in the world by July.
He said that they're going ahead, but hasn't reached a decision on public being allowed in the stadia as far as I've understood him.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Two trips planned so far...

LCA in April - very important trip for a couple of reasons. Good deal in CE and a 5* hotel with BA Holidays. We also took a punt on a CW return to SFO in the half price redemption sale for May... I guess that's about 50:50. We'll probably cancel if things aren't going to be fun when we get there.

A trip South Africa or SE Asia at the back end of 2021 is the ultimate plan... We'll see. Otherwise we'll stick to Europe which should be approaching normality by then.

After the best part of a year spent treating patients with this lurgy, I am very much looking forward to the break. I've had dose 1 of the vaccine (whether I get dose 2 at any point soon is another story )... I just want the rest of the world to catch up!
Gastrocnemius and becks1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.