Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Travel Experiences in EU - post January 1st

Old Dec 30, 20, 7:04 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

Thought a thread on this might be useful given our change in EU status and how UK citizens will be treated differently regarding Immigration, EU rules app;lying on UK folks travelling during Covid etc. My daughter is travelling to AMS on Saturday 2nd (back to uni) so will report on her LHR and AMS experiences.

Some of her friends have taken a BA flight back to AMS in the last few days and mentioned many pax being turned away and denied travel on BA (and KLM for that matter) because they arrived with the NHS PCH test results and not a privately paid for one. Is being rigidly enforced apparently. Bizarre that pax are doing this, there has been enough publicity about the NHS ones not being valid!
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Thought a thread on this might be useful given our change in EU status and how UK citizens will be treated differently regarding Immigration, EU rules app;lying on UK folks travelling during Covid etc. My daughter is travelling to AMS on Saturday 2nd (back to uni) so will report on her LHR and AMS experiences.

Some of her friends have taken a BA flight back to AMS in the last few days and mentioned many pax being turned away and denied travel on BA (and KLM for that matter) because they arrived with the NHS PCH test results and not a privately paid for one. Is being rigidly enforced apparently. Bizarre that pax are doing this, there has been enough publicity about the NHS ones not being valid!
That is very encouraging to hear!
u01sss3, Neilgcal and Nephoi like this.
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:20 am

Programs: BA silver, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador
The NHS should branch out into travel insurance and all inclusive holidays. Could be a money spinner for them. 😂
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
If the NHS test is PCR as required for destination, and you get proper pdf/document to confirm (not just sms) there doesn't seem to be immigration reason to say it's invalid (and indeed I would pursue IDB compensation). unless the test result say invalid for travel or words to that extent.
MaxFlyer, Lynyrd and kosy91 like this.
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by BOH View Post

I had no idea that NHS tests are not valid for travel. I thought you were not supposed to use the NHS service but I didnít know it was an actual rule. Why would an airline care about where you took the test? It would have never occurred to me to use an NHS test anyway, as they donít guarantee the turnaround time.

Could it be that they were denied boarding because the tests were too old?
Sealink and MiraculousM like this.
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Do the NHS tests show your passport number?
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
No
Old Dec 30, 20, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
Nor do many commercial tests I have taken
Old Dec 30, 20, 8:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, BA Silver
I am a uni student who's going back to Amsterdam too.

I'm also in a Facebook group of a lot of people travelling back and a few have been denied boarding for NHS tests, so it definitely doesn't work. I'm going to use Citydoc through BA's website for a PCR test that's £93. That's the best I've found so far.
Old Dec 30, 20, 8:49 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Has anyone dared to look into the actual cost of doing a PCR test and if there are immoral profits being made ?

I was talking with a consultant in Cyprus and he showed me the long list of medical tests available, blood tests, swabs etc all of which are considerably cheaper than the costs of a PCR test. Is there some reason that PCR tests cost anywhere between 50-150 GBP
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As this is all third-hand at best and the individuals who were denied boarding are not on this thread, it will be hard to get to the bottom of it, but I have to wonder whether the issue is not whether the test was conducted by the NHS but whether the certification of the test result was, in the instance of that group, insufficient.

The requirements are made by the Dutch authorities and the burden of checking placed on BA/KL. But, BA/KL are not making social judgments.
Stez and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
Has anyone dared to look into the actual cost of doing a PCR test and if there are immoral profits being made ?

I was talking with a consultant in Cyprus and he showed me the long list of medical tests available, blood tests, swabs etc all of which are considerably cheaper than the costs of a PCR test. Is there some reason that PCR tests cost anywhere between 50-150 GBP
And when we were in Cyprus, we were told the cosat of a test is capped at 65 Euros wherever it is carried out.
Old Dec 30, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you need a PCR test accepted by airlines, please use the Heathrow-endorsed service at https://www.expresstest.co.uk/
Old Dec 30, 20, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
So to try and bring things back on topic and away from which tests to use, presumably from 1st January we can no longer use the EU Citizens passport lines when travelling abroad, or can we? What about EU visitors to the UK? Can they continue to use the E-Gates or not? Obviously use of the E-Gates is available to other nationalities now too, so my wife (US citizen) can use them when we arrive from the USA. Having seen the queues at immigration at BRU for those passengers without EU passports I'd hate to be in that boat now.
ianwall likes this.
Old Dec 30, 20, 10:53 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
So to try and bring things back on topic and away from which tests to use, presumably from 1st January we can no longer use the EU Citizens passport lines when travelling abroad, or can we? What about EU visitors to the UK? Can they continue to use the E-Gates or not? Obviously use of the E-Gates is available to other nationalities now too, so my wife (US citizen) can use them when we arrive from the USA. Having seen the queues at immigration at BRU for those passengers without EU passports I'd hate to be in that boat now.
We canít automatically use the EU line from 01 Jan but individual countries / airports may allow other citizens to use those lines, as they can at LHR. Iím trying to think where I have seen it, and itís definitely somewhere Iíve been this year, but I saw a UK flag next to an EU flag, AUS, JPN flag - indicating that we could use the lines post this year?

EDIT: Iíve said above that UK citizens canít automatically use EU lines, I havenít read the exit agreement so may be wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by krispy84; Dec 30, 20 at 11:11 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: