FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Travel Experiences in EU - post January 1st (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2031445-ba-travel-experiences-eu-post-january-1st.html)

BOH Dec 30, 2020 7:04 am

BA Travel Experiences in EU - post January 1st

Thought a thread on this might be useful given our change in EU status and how UK citizens will be treated differently regarding Immigration, EU rules app;lying on UK folks travelling during Covid etc. My daughter is travelling to AMS on Saturday 2nd (back to uni) so will report on her LHR and AMS experiences.

Some of her friends have taken a BA flight back to AMS in the last few days and mentioned many pax being turned away and denied travel on BA (and KLM for that matter) because they arrived with the NHS PCH test results and not a privately paid for one. Is being rigidly enforced apparently. Bizarre that pax are doing this, there has been enough publicity about the NHS ones not being valid! :rolleyes:

DelTroon Dec 30, 2020 7:17 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 32923481)
Thought a thread on this might be useful given our change in EU status and how UK citizens will be treated differently regarding Immigration, EU rules app;lying on UK folks travelling during Covid etc. My daughter is travelling to AMS on Saturday 2nd (back to uni) so will report on her LHR and AMS experiences.

Some of her friends have taken a BA flight back to AMS in the last few days and mentioned many pax being turned away and denied travel on BA (and KLM for that matter) because they arrived with the NHS PCH test results and not a privately paid for one. Is being rigidly enforced apparently. Bizarre that pax are doing this, there has been enough publicity about the NHS ones not being valid! :rolleyes:

That is very encouraging to hear!

Neilgcal Dec 30, 2020 7:20 am

The NHS should branch out into travel insurance and all inclusive holidays. Could be a money spinner for them. 😂

nufnuf77 Dec 30, 2020 7:34 am

If the NHS test is PCR as required for destination, and you get proper pdf/document to confirm (not just sms) there doesn't seem to be immigration reason to say it's invalid (and indeed I would pursue IDB compensation). unless the test result say invalid for travel or words to that extent.

Freddorick Dec 30, 2020 7:46 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 32923481)

I had no idea that NHS tests are not valid for travel. I thought you were not supposed to use the NHS service but I didn’t know it was an actual rule. Why would an airline care about where you took the test? It would have never occurred to me to use an NHS test anyway, as they don’t guarantee the turnaround time.

Could it be that they were denied boarding because the tests were too old?

tobsw Dec 30, 2020 7:48 am

Do the NHS tests show your passport number?

sunshinebob Dec 30, 2020 7:52 am

Originally Posted by tobsw (Post 32923580)

No

nufnuf77 Dec 30, 2020 7:55 am

Originally Posted by tobsw (Post 32923580)

Nor do many commercial tests I have taken

CarefreeBA Dec 30, 2020 8:13 am

I am a uni student who's going back to Amsterdam too.

I'm also in a Facebook group of a lot of people travelling back and a few have been denied boarding for NHS tests, so it definitely doesn't work. I'm going to use Citydoc through BA's website for a PCR test that's £93. That's the best I've found so far.

moral_low_ground Dec 30, 2020 8:49 am

Has anyone dared to look into the actual cost of doing a PCR test and if there are immoral profits being made ?

I was talking with a consultant in Cyprus and he showed me the long list of medical tests available, blood tests, swabs etc all of which are considerably cheaper than the costs of a PCR test. Is there some reason that PCR tests cost anywhere between 50-150 GBP

Often1 Dec 30, 2020 9:21 am

As this is all third-hand at best and the individuals who were denied boarding are not on this thread, it will be hard to get to the bottom of it, but I have to wonder whether the issue is not whether the test was conducted by the NHS but whether the certification of the test result was, in the instance of that group, insufficient.

The requirements are made by the Dutch authorities and the burden of checking placed on BA/KL. But, BA/KL are not making social judgments.

steve170461 Dec 30, 2020 9:28 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground (Post 32923710)
Has anyone dared to look into the actual cost of doing a PCR test and if there are immoral profits being made ?

I was talking with a consultant in Cyprus and he showed me the long list of medical tests available, blood tests, swabs etc all of which are considerably cheaper than the costs of a PCR test. Is there some reason that PCR tests cost anywhere between 50-150 GBP

And when we were in Cyprus, we were told the cosat of a test is capped at 65 Euros wherever it is carried out.

destone Dec 30, 2020 9:40 am

If you need a PCR test accepted by airlines, please use the Heathrow-endorsed service at https://www.expresstest.co.uk/

Geordie405 Dec 30, 2020 10:25 am

So to try and bring things back on topic and away from which tests to use, presumably from 1st January we can no longer use the EU Citizens passport lines when travelling abroad, or can we? What about EU visitors to the UK? Can they continue to use the E-Gates or not? Obviously use of the E-Gates is available to other nationalities now too, so my wife (US citizen) can use them when we arrive from the USA. Having seen the queues at immigration at BRU for those passengers without EU passports I'd hate to be in that boat now.

krispy84 Dec 30, 2020 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405 (Post 32924020)
So to try and bring things back on topic and away from which tests to use, presumably from 1st January we can no longer use the EU Citizens passport lines when travelling abroad, or can we? What about EU visitors to the UK? Can they continue to use the E-Gates or not? Obviously use of the E-Gates is available to other nationalities now too, so my wife (US citizen) can use them when we arrive from the USA. Having seen the queues at immigration at BRU for those passengers without EU passports I'd hate to be in that boat now.

We can’t automatically use the EU line from 01 Jan but individual countries / airports may allow other citizens to use those lines, as they can at LHR. I’m trying to think where I have seen it, and it’s definitely somewhere I’ve been this year, but I saw a UK flag next to an EU flag, AUS, JPN flag - indicating that we could use the lines post this year?

EDIT: I’ve said above that UK citizens can’t automatically use EU lines, I haven’t read the exit agreement so may be wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️