Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Travel Experiences in EU - post January 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Travel Experiences in EU - post January 1st

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Hmmm...I see no proof.

Originally Posted by tobsw
It's blindingly obvious. From 11pm 31st December UK Time, the UK is out of the EU (and EEA). The UK is a "third" country.

You won't be allowed to use e-gates when entering EU. From 1st Jan 2022, you will need to pay to enter the EU, even if i's just for holidays

In the case of Schengen, your passport will be stamped whenever you enter and exit (sometimes they forget about stamping when you exit, especially on the Eurotunnel). In some airports, like Amsterdam, it could well be that to exit Schengen you can use some e-gates, but your passport will still be stamped.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Um, the UK has been out of the EU since January of this year.
Yes, the UK left EU institutions, but UK was treated as an EU country during the transition period.

That's not the case from the 1st of January 2021 (or 11 pm UK Time 31st December 2020).
Flying Yazata likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Misco60
It has been very widely reported that British citizens will not be able to use the e-gates at EU airports. In fact, it seems that EU law actually forbids the use of the gates by anyone other than EU/EEA/CH passport-holders.
The UK allows the e-gates to be used by nationals of several non-EU/EEA/CH countries, and indeed did so prior to the Brexit transition period taking effect.
​​​​​
​​​​Unless this was some sort of carve out due to the UK being non-Schengen.

​​​
Owenc and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Misco60
In fact, it seems that EU law actually forbids the use of the gates by anyone other than EU/EEA/CH passport-holders.
I don't think this can be correct? Quite a few EU airports have signs allowing non EU country passports to use the e-passport gates. From memory, AMS shows Australians, Canadian, and US passport holders can use them.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I don't know for other, but this is from BRU airport official page related to Brexit and border controls
"UK residents can no longer use the e-gates at border controls"
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
I haven’t seen this myself and would prefer something official, rather than ‘widely reported’.
This document, published by the European Commission, specifically states:
As of 1 January 2021 at 00h00 Central European Time UK nationals are treated as third country nationals...
EU law currently reserves use of e-gates to holders of EU/EEA/CH passports
However, it also says that the introduction of Entry Exit System (EES) in the first half of 2022 will make the use of e-gates possible because non-EU passports will no longer have to be stamped.
Kgmm77, becks1 and lcylocal like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec
I’ll be travelling to an EU country for work on the 2nd Jan. As the holder of a U.K. passport, I will comply with the appropriate signage at the airport I arrive in. Not sure why some people are having difficulties with this all of a sudden ?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My understanding is
- e-gate use by UK nationals in Schengen will be restricted to exit gates, but even then a stamp is required, plus a theoretical requirement to enter that country directly, not via Schengen. In practice I doubt that will happen. Ingress by e-gate is specifically prohibited.
- however this is temporary until the introduction in 2022 of EES, Entry Exit System, which end the need for stamping and is e-gate based anyway.
- EES is supposed to be introduced before ETIAS, which is running horribly late, so at best ETIAS - which is similar to the USA's ESTA process - will arrive "early 2022", which I suspect means 2023.
- An ETIAS, which will cost 7€, is free to those under 18 and over 70, will need to be applied for 96 hours before departure and will last 3 years.
- Once someone goes over the hump of getting an ETIAS then for (CWS invented figure alert) 98% plus of visitors - who won't stay more than 90 days in Schengen per 180 days - there won't be any significant difference from the setup now, and arguably better than life was say 4 or 5 years ago, before e-gates came along.
- Some countries are going to struggle with this, Spain comes to mind, they lack resources. AMS is also worrisome to me due to sheer numbers, but this is an airport that needs UK transit passengers.
- The new EU-by-the-backdoor is the Partnership Council, and a lot of subordinate joint councils - this may make things easier over time. Particularly if the UK keeps it slick for inbound EEA+CH citizens (as it will have to do, Border Force is not staffed for any alternative).
- At the moment it doesn't matter much, people aren't travelling anyway so no one is getting delayed at the borders.

In short, it may get a bit sticky this summer, if travel returns, but not for long.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Originally Posted by BOH
No, NHS test results are not deemed as valid - there has been a lot of publicity about this so not sure why you weren't aware. My daughter has spoken to 2 of the pax who were denied travel (they are at same uni as her) and the NHS tests they took were well within the 72 hours pre-flight as stipulated by the Dutch authorities. It is simply than an NHS free test is not permitted to be used for travel purposes (nor is it permitted for the Test-to-Release scheme on arrival back to the UK to reduce quarantine time)
the NHS tests do not state if it was a PCR or Quick test. It provides test date and result with some other links etc.
it is not suitable for travel or intended to be used for travel although some countries will accept them. They are intended to identify and protect the population not to satisfy border requirements

therefore, a private one is required for travel as they can add in all the relevant details for immigration
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
My understanding is that from the 1st it will be the non EU Q when entering the EU.

What I haven’t found is on arrival in the UK will it now say UK and Irish passport holders this way and then EU Q that way??
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think this can be correct? Quite a few EU airports have signs allowing non EU country passports to use the e-passport gates. From memory, AMS shows Australians, Canadian, and US passport holders can use them.
Is it not the case that certain (from a list based on the indiviual EU member) non-EU passport holders can use the e-gates to enter but they are still sent via the manned officer for the final check ?

So perhaps the E-gate cannot be used alone but it can be used in combination with manned booths to speed up the process

I think this is certainly the case in Italy (BLQ).

IIRC there are two different e-gate lines - IIRC!

The question then is - will the UK be added to the list of countries that can use this type of gate. As others have said, it may only be neccessary for a short time anyway.

It sounds as if the EU will eventually catch up with the UK with e-gates open to Japan, US, Australia and the other priviliged countries.
justin_krusty likes this.

Last edited by Scillybear; Dec 30, 2020 at 2:22 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

I understand more now from the Gov website and it says...

You should not use the NHS testing service to get a test in order to facilitate your travel to another country. You should arrange to take a private test and should confirm with the testing facility the type of tests available prior to booking an appointment..

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Dec 30, 2020 at 2:34 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
To understand this more, I’m a bit baffled by this and I don’t wish to drag it off topic but...In amongst all the different multitude of things happening with Covid rules, regs, info etc who definitely decided to sit down and make sure that a test conducted by one of the biggest, iconic and revered healthcare systems in the world, cannot be used as proof for another country gov department?

This smells fishy to me...is it because it’s free by chance? Only people that part with money are allowed to fly about? Hmm... In which case I might set up a testing company with some earbuds and nice letter headed paper, charge a few quid and border patrols might believe me!!
Coz the NHS test doesn't show passport number. For The Netherlands and Spain (at least) passport number is mandatory.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
To understand this more, I’m a bit baffled by this and I don’t wish to drag it off topic but...In amongst all the different multitude of things happening with Covid rules, regs, info etc who definitely decided to sit down and make sure that a test conducted by one of the biggest, iconic and revered healthcare systems in the world, cannot be used as proof for another country gov department?

This smells fishy to me...is it because it’s free by chance? Only people that part with money are allowed to fly about? Hmm... In which case I might set up a testing company with some earbuds and nice letter headed paper, charge a few quid and border patrols might believe me!!
Its not baffling at all that a test funded by the taxpayer, being used for a purpose other than it was intended is not permitted. There are a number of reasons for this, notably not using public money to facilitate travel during a pandemic and also preserving scarce testing capacity for public health virus control reasons.

Is it really that difficult to understand?
Fritz, thijsseh, dnajockey and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by HarryBA
My understanding is that from the 1st it will be the non EU Q when entering the EU.

What I haven’t found is on arrival in the UK will it now say UK and Irish passport holders this way and then EU Q that way??
No, because the UK has long since taken a decision to allow large numbers of people to use their e-gates (including some non-EU nationals). This is for no other reason than because the alternative is to pay more for increased staffing, which as we all know, British governments are loathe to do. Access to e-gates does not have to be reciprocal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.