Wiki Posts
Search

50% avios booking cancelled - options?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
50% avios booking cancelled - options?

My 50% avios booking flight has been canceleld, been booked onto the next flight later that day both outbound and inbound.

I have 4 options:
- Accept the change
- Ask for a refund
- Change schedule
- Ask for a voucher

What is the most beneficial of the last 3 options? Considering this is a 50% avios booking they offered earlier in the year.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not sure I see any benefit to getting a voucher, unless there is a 241 involved and you want to keep it alive until April 2022.

Refund you would just get everything back so that should be fairly straightforward.

in terms of changing, you can change to another flight on that route up to a year from when you originally made the booking, and you will not need reward availability on the new flight. No additional avios or cash to pay. If you do this you can still do a normal voluntary cancellation at some point in the future and just get a refund minus the usual £35 per person cancellation fee.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Well it depends, do you want to take the trip?

If not, take the refund.

If YES, or YES on another date, you will be able to rebook for free to a day of your choice (within a year?)

I wouldn't take a voucher. There is no benefit over the cash/Avios refund.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It depends on all sorts of things, including the relative power of your crystal ball (see the main Rebook thread for my comments on "maybe" bookings).

But given it's an Avios booking, the Change schedule option is probably best, and may work via MMB.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:17 am

I had my 50% booking flight cancelled. I asked for an alternative flight, leaving later on the day when it was cancelled. No charge. As there was no avios seats available, I ended up in a revenue bucket, which almost earned me as many avios as I paid...
BrunswickSq likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by wilko1
I had my 50% booking flight cancelled. I asked for an alternative flight, leaving later on the day when it was cancelled. No charge. As there was no avios seats available, I ended up in a revenue bucket, which almost earned me as many avios as I paid...
Did you earn the Tier points as well?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
Did you earn the Tier points as well?
Yup. But I don't need them because of the 12m extension.

It was the lazy last-minute way they booked my flight - the e-ticket sent suggests they selected a last minute full-fare cash fare, and then paid the high cost with an 'e-voucher'

Last edited by wilko1; Dec 30, 2020 at 6:25 am
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:13 am

I had a 50% off avios flight cancelled for end of June 2021 (last date in the offer) pushed the flights out to september for the same amount of avios. no extra fees, very happy.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had a 50% off booking where the first (short haul) segment was cancelled and the long haul was left intact.

When I called to reschedule I was told they could use revenue buckets through to end of June, but after that point (and through to the end of the ticket validity) I would need to find Avios availability to rebook.

I tried changing on MMB but it wouldn't let me touch it (I assume because of the short haul segment, which always seems to complicates things on BA).
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not sure I see any benefit to getting a voucher, unless there is a 241 involved and you want to keep it alive until April 2022.
We have a 2-4-1 ticket booked for March 2021 using the 50% avios special. The outbound flight has now been cancelled. The 2-4-1 voucher expires in April 2021. How would we go about keeping the booking alive until April 2022? Apologies if this is answered somewhere - I have crawled through so many pages and threads my mind is totally scrambled!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
We have a 2-4-1 ticket booked for March 2021 using the 50% avios special. The outbound flight has now been cancelled. The 2-4-1 voucher expires in April 2021. How would we go about keeping the booking alive until April 2022?
If you cancel the booking to an FTV, that will include the 2-4-1 voucher, and everything on the FTV including the 2-4-1 will be valid until April 2022.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
We are in the same boat - have KUL F cancelled for may 2021 with 2-4-1 and 50% sale. Really not looking to fly to KUL in May (it's unlikely to be opened anyways). Don't know whether to sit on it and wait or just get it refunded. Some sale is bound to come back, and with the recent cash prices 1400gbp in taxes seems excessive when I can buy LH F to SIN for 3600 for 2
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
We have a 2-4-1 ticket booked for March 2021 using the 50% avios special. The outbound flight has now been cancelled. The 2-4-1 voucher expires in April 2021. How would we go about keeping the booking alive until April 2022? Apologies if this is answered somewhere - I have crawled through so many pages and threads my mind is totally scrambled!
you can move it to new dates within a year of when you booked, you wouldn’t pay any additional avios for this.

if you take the FTV you won’t keep the 50% rate, and instead any new booking will be at normal rates and need reward availability.
joejet and wijibintheair like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
you can move it to new dates within a year of when you booked, you wouldn’t pay any additional avios for this.
And you'd need Avios availability if moving beyond 30Jun21?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
And you'd need Avios availability if moving beyond 30Jun21?
if you are doing any voluntary change to a reward you always need reward availability

if it’s an involuntary change (so result of a cancellation) you won’t need reward availability, but you can’t go any later than a year from when you booked.

it has been suggested Ba are allowing voluntary changes and keeping the 50% rate if not moving beyond june 2021, but I am not sure whether this is confirmed yet.
Radiation Station likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.