Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Profile of a regular BAEC GOLD and above status chaser?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Profile of a regular BAEC GOLD and above status chaser?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:09 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
36, male, single, mainly travel solo. Was gold for a while thanks to QR. Play poker (mainly online) for a living which is basically freedom to go/do wherever/whenever I like.

I do wish I’d known about the tricks of the trade of this forum a few years earlier when I was joined on trips by others similar to me, would it made the travelling part a lot less painful.
HB7 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Is status chaser the same as a chubby chaser?
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Is status chaser the same as a chubby chaser?
What's a chubby chaser?
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:28 pm

For those who aren't single - like me - a key element is an understanding spouse or partner, who supports the indulgence in such hobby!
Old Dec 26, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
For those who aren't single - like me - a key element is an understanding spouse or partner, who supports the indulgence in such hobby!
Yes indeed.

My partner and I take overseas trips separately, as we need someone to be at home pretty much 24/7.

It's something we've got used to over the years and causes little friction.

Of course, it would be nice to travel overseas together (which we have done many times in the past), but it isn't really practicable at the moment.

Better to travel like this than not at all...
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:00 am

Well I may not be in the "extreme" situation that requires separate overseas trips within the family. But I'm sure many of us here empathise with having different family members needing to take separate flights, at times up to days apart, only to "meet up" at the final airport or hotel destination - solely for the purpose of maximising status runs and / or accommodating dates on which redemption tickets are available... my relatives and friends who don't understand this think we're a crazy family!
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:10 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What's a chubby chaser?
a person who finds overweight people attractive and deliberately seeks them out for the purpose of relations
HIDDY and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Always been intrigued by those who chase BAEC status year after year. Not those who earn it fully or partly through work travel more those who treat it as a hobby. Must admit I have always assumed those who do it are most likely single, have a big interest in air travel and have plenty of time on their hands.

Am I wrong?
Similarly, I’ve always been intrigued by those who post tens of thousands of times on a frequent flyer forum, despite seemingly having not stepped foot on a plane since the last time Scotland qualified for the World Cup finals

I am, of course, teasing HIDDY - each to their own. I hope all is well in Argentina.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I fit in 2 of those, but my time is limited. I have been on TP runs when I was close to gold, and was eyeing GGL this year. Work provides little travel, but my other (time-consuming) hobby takes me worldwide. I can't sleep on my back or sat up, and it was looking for cheaper lie-flat fares which led me here (via OMAAT and HFP). I've found a very nice community on this board, with very helpful members and memorable do's so I stayed. My travels have been much more comfortable and varied than they would have been otherwise.

To be honest I initially thought along the same lines as your preconceptions. Probably due to the very old frequent flier documentary that pops up once every so often. But I've found a much more diverse community than that! I'm lucky enough to have met a few of the people of this board.

Maybe we should plan an Argentina do to prove Hiddy wrong
toothy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
I tick all 3 boxes (though the flights are more of a means to visit places). Turned 50 right at the start of lockdown, and quit work 4 years ago so I could travel and explore while I'm still fit and able. Had a good run for the first couple of years, but this year was obviously a write-off

All my travel is for fun, and have had BA & VS Gold for a few years now. Have been spoiled by use of lounges and travelling in comfort (J) for long haul, which is why I'm maintaining status. Use of points/miles to save Ł on flights + lounge access makes the whole experience better. Finding this forum has helped too, making use of some cheap fares and a few B2B's to top up on points.

Still got a lot to learn mind, esp. with TP runs. Really appreciate the great input from everyone here.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500

Maybe we should plan an Argentina do to prove Hiddy wrong

BAEC FT DO Buenos Aires 2021.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Generally reading posts on this board I don't think I'm at all typical.
I'm 35, married and earn about average UK wages. I am Gold purely paid for by myself. The BA holidays deposit/pay over x amount of time allows me to book trips I otherwise probably couldn't.
I love flying and travelling but often feel out of place in lounges or at the front of the plane. This is partly because the way I dress and partly in my own head. I like to remind myself those who are around me are likely on someone else's dime so I've at least as much right to be there as anyone else.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Total Orwellian doublethink in the RC household. Mrs RC considers status chasing a pointless, elitist pursuit bordering on insanity. Whilst simultaneously and very happily skipping the queues, getting the upgrades and drinking the champagne that my status has facilitated.

...and that of course is why I love her so much, otherwise I'd end up spending my days looking for the next TP megarun to HNL or wherever, chasing GGLFL, rather than being happy with my lot as a mere silver and having to ask for top ups of champagne
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Total Orwellian doublethink in the RC household. Mrs RC considers status chasing a pointless, elitist pursuit bordering on insanity. Whilst simultaneously and very happily skipping the queues, getting the upgrades and drinking the champagne that my status has facilitated.

...and that of course is why I love her so much, otherwise I'd end up spending my days looking for the next TP megarun to HNL or wherever, chasing GGLFL, rather than being happy with my lot as a mere silver and having to ask for top ups of champagne
Best post so far.
ratechaser and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peck
Similarly, I’ve always been intrigued by those who post tens of thousands of times on a frequent flyer forum, despite seemingly having not stepped foot on a plane since the last time Scotland qualified for the World Cup finals

I am, of course, teasing HIDDY - each to their own. I hope all is well in Argentina.
PUCCI GALORE is to blame for my high post count....you have GOLD but how many Mucci's do you have? I've lost count of mine.
alex67500 and EDIwanderer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.