Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 9:46 am

Sorry if this has been covered before but just wanted to book an RFS and am baffled by the pricing.
Route I'm looking at is BSL-LHR. Should be 4.750 + 17.50, but the pricing options look as follows:

Am I doing something wrong? Or have prices gone up?

Old May 12, 2021, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Am I doing something wrong?
You don't qualify for RFS any more? You haven't collected at least one Avios in the last year? That's the usual explanation for this.

The Avios price points are all correct. €16.64 is the actual TFC for the route, if you are paying in EUR (you can check this using ITA). The additional figures also include how much extra cash you need to pay to reduce the number of Avios from what has become the base Avios rate (9,250).
Old May 12, 2021, 9:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Godot
thanks for the info - so probably easiest to just call and book the whole thing if I'm going to have to call anyway

can you still call the overseas contact centres and book through them at 1am when the UK call centre isn't open? if so, which one would you recommend?
you can call and do it all together. I would just check the exact WTP fare before you do so you know what it should be. If I can I will usually just book it first and then call to do the upgrade.
Old May 12, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You don't qualify for RFS any more? You haven't collected at least one Avios in the last year? That's the usual explanation for this.

The Avios price points are all correct. €16.64 is the actual TFC for the route, if you are paying in EUR (you can check this using ITA). The additional figures also include how much extra cash you need to pay to reduce the number of Avios from what has become the base Avios rate (9,250).
I do qualify so would expect it to be 4,750 plus RFS tax equivalent of 17.50. Now you say the new base rate is 9,250 ... does that mean this is the cheapest Avios redemption or should it still be 4,750?
Old May 12, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I do qualify so would expect it to be 4,750 plus RFS tax equivalent of 17.50. Now you say the new base rate is 9,250 ... does that mean this is the cheapest Avios redemption or should it still be 4,750?
When did you last collect any Avios? If you are sure that you have collected at least one Avios in the last year, then you should be seeing the RFS cash rates.

I think that what you're seeing is the award rates for someone who doesn't qualify for RFS and who is paying in EUR. Such a person pays the full TFC alongside the highest Avios rate, hence 9,250 Avios + €16.64 - and then they can opt to pay fewer Avios and more cash.

For someone who qualifies for RFS, the 9,250 rate requires Ł0.50 cash (if paying in GBP), and then they can similarly opt to pay fewer Avios and more cash:
9250 Avios + Ł0.50
8500 Avios + Ł4.50
7250 Avios + Ł9.00
4750 Avios + Ł17.50
3700 Avios + Ł32.50
2950 Avios + Ł42.50
Old May 12, 2021, 10:29 am

I transferred Avios from IB just a couple days back and then had some account activity in February. So it seems that my account didn't pick any of these up.

Thanks for your explanation, I now got what you were trying to say! Will probably give BA a ring and find out whats going on.
Globaliser likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I transferred Avios from IB just a couple days back and then had some account activity in February. So it seems that my account didn't pick any of these up.

Thanks for your explanation, I now got what you were trying to say! Will probably give BA a ring and find out whats going on.
If I remember correctly, transferring avios into BAEC from IB will not count as earning at least one avios in the last year. Transferring avios into BAEC from outside (like credit card point conversions to avios) will count.
lsquare, alex67500 and AJA_ like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:28 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been answered but I am completely new to the whole flight reward program...

I joined the BA Executive Club and got the non yearly fee Amex with I think around 5 or 6k (special offer) Avios points if I spend 1k in 3 months plus the 1k in points that I will gain from doing that...

If I continue to use the card to earn new Avios for my daily spends like grocery shopping will my points not expire after 3 years?

I do plan to fly with BA once things get better so will flights help keep them active if spending doesn't?

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyFlyUK
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been answered but I am completely new to the whole flight reward program...

I joined the BA Executive Club and got the non yearly fee Amex with I think around 5 or 6k (special offer) Avios points if I spend 1k in 3 months plus the 1k in points that I will gain from doing that...

If I continue to use the card to earn new Avios for my daily spends like grocery shopping will my points not expire after 3 years?

I do plan to fly with BA once things get better so will flights help keep them active if spending doesn't?

Thanks!
Any activity that moves Avios into or out of your account will reset the expiration of all the Avios in the account to three years thence.
FlyFlyUK likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:00 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Any activity that moves Avios into or out of your account will reset the expiration of all the Avios in the account to three years thence.
Except for transfers from Iberia. Does a transfer from Nectar reset the clock?
Old May 17, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by FlyFlyUK

Firstly welcome to FT.

Secondly Avios only expire after 3 years if you do not have any activity on your account. Spending on your BA Amex which earns 1 Avios per Ł counts as activity and will prevent expiry of all other Avios collected.

Earning Avios on cash flights as well as redeeming Avios for flights or any other redemption also counts and stops Avios expiring.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by louie-m
Except for transfers from Iberia. Does a transfer from Nectar reset the clock?
Yes transferring Nectar to Avios resets the clock. Probably now the easiest way to prevent Avios from expiring assuming you have a minimum of 400 NP to swap.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
deleted and posted in its own thread.

Last edited by tullupump; May 24, 2021 at 8:49 am Reason: Deleting Post
Old May 24, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
When can we book AS flights using BA miles?
Old May 24, 2021, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChateauMargaux
When can we book AS flights using BA miles?
You have been able to book them with avios for a while now, well before they joined oneworld. See this thread for more information. I think the recent change is AS availability should now show up online on ba.com

Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.