Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:50 am
Ryn
Suspended

Sorry if this is a bit of a daft question. But is there a general time that BA release avios seats that were previously booked? I don't mean seats 355 days in advance, but perhaps when someone might cancel an avios booking.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 6:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not really. Sometimes they will re-appear straight away, sometimes they may not re-appear at all, or sometimes they may re-appear much closer to the travel date. It really depends on lots of things like popularity of the route and general availability of seats.
Ryn likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:28 pm

Hi,

I am looking to book CX J via BA Avios. Plan is to visit a city in China via HKG
Only option I see right now for J is from YVR to HKG and that arrives at 7pm HKG time, but the only CX flight that goes to my China city departs at 5pm HKG time.
So I would have to stay a night in HKG to make that work. That would means I need to retrieve luggage and and recheck in the next day right?

If I were to book the HKG to China city flight in a different airline, say China Eastern so that the connecting flight would work out on the same day. Is it possible to combine the itinerary of 2 different airlines (one Avio booking (YVR -HKG) via CX and one cash (HKG to China city) via China eastern. So that luggage will arrive directly in China?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2023, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TravelFamily
Hi,

I am looking to book CX J via BA Avios. Plan is to visit a city in China via HKG
Only option I see right now for J is from YVR to HKG and that arrives at 7pm HKG time, but the only CX flight that goes to my China city departs at 5pm HKG time.
So I would have to stay a night in HKG to make that work. That would means I need to retrieve luggage and and recheck in the next day right?

If I were to book the HKG to China city flight in a different airline, say China Eastern so that the connecting flight would work out on the same day. Is it possible to combine the itinerary of 2 different airlines (one Avio booking (YVR -HKG) via CX and one cash (HKG to China city) via China eastern. So that luggage will arrive directly in China?

Thanks
If you were book the CX-CX 22-hour connection, then whether you would have to collect your checked bags upon arrival at HKG would depend upon CX's policies re: through-checked bags on overnight connections. That has nothing to do with BA.

It is not possible to combine on the same reservation record an Avios booking on CX with a cash booking on another carrier. But if the other carrier has an interline baggage agreement with CX, it's worth inquiring of CX as to whether they will through-check baggage to another carrier on separate tickets. Some airlines will, and some airlines won't.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:34 am

Why does BA only give me 1 option for using avios to reduce the cost of my flight?

It's only giving me the option to use 6000 avios for Ł60 off.

I have plenty of avios, was hoping to reduce the cost of these flights by using them

Last edited by Crubber; Mar 8, 2023 at 8:20 am
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Just to clarify, only 3 ticket classes in ET are excluded for upgrading using avios to CE? I seem to have it in my head that it used to state that ET bookings had to be in ticket class N or above. Maybe that’s changed ?
Old Mar 8, 2023, 11:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

As far as I'm aware, and I can't recall any changes then any revenue ticket in ET except Q, O or G is eligible for UuA assuming there's availability. More info here too.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32910040-post7.html
Old Mar 19, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Combining bookings

As it’s not possible to book initaries that have multiple partner airlines in them online with Avios I thought I would book them
separately, ie. XXX-DOH on QR and then DOH-YYY on AY for example.

Is it possible to ring BA up afterwards and ask them to combine them to a single booking to get luggage checked through and avoid troubles in case of IRROPS?

Last edited by AnttiV; Mar 19, 2023 at 9:33 am
Old Mar 19, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AnttiV
As it’s not possible to book initaries that have multiple partner airlines in them onlune with Avios I thought I would book them
separately, ie. XXX-DOH on QR and then DOH-YYY on AY for example.

Is it possible to ring BA up afterwards and ask them to combine them to a single booking to get luggage checked through and avoid troubles in case of IRROPS?
If BA books flights on two different partners in a single PNR, I expect that you will be charged the multi-carrier redemption rate:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
If BA books flights on two different partners in a single PNR, I expect that you will be charged the multi-carrier redemption rate:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us
Partly the reason I'm asking as it would be quite a bit cheaper to book the sectors separately.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:54 am

well i am afraid if that is the consideration you will have to live with two separate bookings along with the implications which you have already noted. you can't combine them now. if you want all the extras you would have to make it as one booking to start with.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by AnttiV
Partly the reason I'm asking as it would be quite a bit cheaper to book the sectors separately.
Would you mind sharing what you're planning? (What's XXX and YYY?). I am curious to see a case where the Multi-Carrier Award would be more expensive than two individual segments.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / IHG Diamond Elite
I'm having problems booking a First redemption. It shows in a single leg from London as being available but when I add Newcastle the availability goes to zero... I suppose I need to split the booking in two or ring up I guess?

Also, annoyingly when I change a date to check on the BA website the default display is Economy, PE and Club availability. I can see no way for it to show First other than to start again... am I doing something wrong or is there any tips to reveal First?
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:12 am

What happens if you do the search from ncl, select yes for a stopover in London, and set the dates as the same day?
LCSinTexas and jefferz like this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
What happens if you do the search from ncl, select yes for a stopover in London, and set the dates as the same day?
Yip, that did it... so simple! thanks for helping!
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.