Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Sep 22, 22, 1:42 pm
  #526  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,014
Originally Posted by poisson View Post
Do you need to have Avios in your account to be able to search for flights? I'm doing some simple searches like DFW-MIA and DFW-LAX for random dates in November and it says No Availability for all of them.
When you search for award seats on aa.com for those routes and dates, are you finding MileSAAver availability on any nonstops? MileSAAver awards in Economy would cost exactly 12,500 AAdvantage miles on those routes -- no more, no less.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:01 pm
  #527  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 432
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
When you search for award seats on aa.com for those routes and dates, are you finding MileSAAver availability on any nonstops? MileSAAver awards in Economy would cost exactly 12,500 AAdvantage miles on those routes -- no more, no less.
I managed to find DFW-FLL on Nov 22 for 9000 Avios. The AA cost is 11.5k. I guess there is limited availability and you should book months in advance.
poisson is offline  
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:12 pm
  #528  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,014
Originally Posted by poisson View Post
I managed to find DFW-FLL on Nov 22 for 9000 Avios. The AA cost is 11.5k. I guess there is limited availability and you should book months in advance.
In theory, you should not be able to book that flight with Avios, as 11.5K AAdvantage miles is a "Web Special" award, not a MileSAAver award. But there have been a couple of scattered reports of BAEC members being able to do so, so I guess it's a (rare?) possibility.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 9:20 am
  #529  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 433
Could someone please share any recent experience on the cancellation fee that is charged when cancelling a reward booking with low fees more than 24 hours before the flight? I'm looking for a cheap way to extend the validity of my very modest avios balance and am considering booking an ex-LUX flight (€10.50) or something domestic on JL.(€4.40). However, I seem to recall reading a post over the Summer of someone getting charged the full €42.50 to cancel a booking with such low fees, rather than just forfeiting the cash part. But now, of course, I can't seem to find that post anymore.

Also, from a post in this thread earlier this month it appears that these tickets can only be cancelled by calling BA. Is that still the case and, if so, would they charge the full €42.50 + CS fee of €15 to cancel, or only the cash part of the ticket?
CosmicGirl is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 9:37 am
  #530  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold (almost Platinum)
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Could someone please share any recent experience on the cancellation fee that is charged when cancelling a reward booking with low fees more than 24 hours before the flight? I'm looking for a cheap way to extend the validity of my very modest avios balance and am considering booking an ex-LUX flight (10.50) or something domestic on JL.(4.40). However, I seem to recall reading a post over the Summer of someone getting charged the full 42.50 to cancel a booking with such low fees, rather than just forfeiting the cash part. But now, of course, I can't seem to find that post anymore.

Also, from a post in this thread earlier this month it appears that these tickets can only be cancelled by calling BA. Is that still the case and, if so, would they charge the full 42.50 + CS fee of 15 to cancel, or only the cash part of the ticket?
recently paid 50 USD per ticket. On a separate reservation I forfeited the whole amount as it was less than 50 USD and I did not have to pay more.
tommybananas is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 10:21 am
  #531  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 120
Hello everybody

This is my first time trying to use avios to book a flight and I hope that gurus can help me.

1. I want to book a oneway reward on AY (Finnair) via avios from OSL-India on the first possible date, however BA avios is not showing any availability at all for the whole of next week. Is this a technical glitch or is it common that no tickets are usually available at a short notice?

2. Also, want to know if there's any additional benefit to book a return award flight already now, when I already know that I might have to change the return flight date. I am planning to book 2 one ways otherwise..if the flights are available.

Thanks a lot in advance,
andydd is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 10:44 am
  #532  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,014
Originally Posted by andydd View Post
Hello everybody

This is my first time trying to use avios to book a flight and I hope that gurus can help me.

1. I want to book a oneway reward on AY (Finnair) via avios from OSL-India on the first possible date, however BA avios is not showing any availability at all for the whole of next week. Is this a technical glitch or is it common that no tickets are usually available at a short notice?

2. Also, want to know if there's any additional benefit to book a return award flight already now, when I already know that I might have to change the return flight date. I am planning to book 2 one ways otherwise..if the flights are available.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Suggest that you search ba.com for each segment individually, and then phone BA if needed to put both flights on a single ticket. The American Airlines app -- which should have access to the same Finnair award-seat availability as BA -- shows availability for OSL-HEL-DEL in Economy on October 3 and 4. (The October 3 option requires an overnight in HEL; the October 4 option does not.)
andydd likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 11:15 am
  #533  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Suggest that you search ba.com for each segment individually, and then phone BA if needed to put both flights on a single ticket. The American Airlines app -- which should have access to the same Finnair award-seat availability as BA -- shows availability for OSL-HEL-DEL in Economy on October 3 and 4. (The October 3 option requires an overnight in HEL; the October 4 option does not.)
Thank you.. I will try this option. I wonder if you can also shed some light on booking OW vs return:

Also, want to know if there's any additional benefit to book a return award flight already now, when I already know that I might have to change the return flight date. I am planning to book 2 one ways otherwise..if the flights are available
andydd is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 11:31 am
  #534  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 25,014
Originally Posted by andydd View Post
Thank you.. I will try this option. I wonder if you can also shed some light on booking OW vs return:

Also, want to know if there's any additional benefit to book a return award flight already now, when I already know that I might have to change the return flight date. I am planning to book 2 one ways otherwise..if the flights are available
If you book a roundtrip and subsequently have to change the return flight, BA will charge you a fee for doing so.

It is possible that the total carrier surcharges on a roundtrip ticket will be more (or less) than the sum of the surcharges on two one-way tickets. You can determine this by doing some test award searches.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Sep 27, 22, 2:36 pm
  #535  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Posts: 1,369
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Could someone please share any recent experience on the cancellation fee that is charged when cancelling a reward booking with low fees more than 24 hours before the flight? I'm looking for a cheap way to extend the validity of my very modest avios balance and am considering booking an ex-LUX flight (10.50) or something domestic on JL.(4.40). However, I seem to recall reading a post over the Summer of someone getting charged the full 42.50 to cancel a booking with such low fees, rather than just forfeiting the cash part. But now, of course, I can't seem to find that post anymore.

Also, from a post in this thread earlier this month it appears that these tickets can only be cancelled by calling BA. Is that still the case and, if so, would they charge the full 42.50 + CS fee of 15 to cancel, or only the cash part of the ticket?
Have you earned at least 1 Avios in the last year? If not you will not be able to take advantage of RFS fares. You could instead join Avios for points and do a survey and earn 600Avios for completing the first survey. This may take several goes but the Avios post pretty instantly. Or simply buy 1000 Avios for 31 /36 /$53
AJA_ is online now  
Old Sep 27, 22, 3:02 pm
  #536  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
Have you earned at least 1 Avios in the last year? If not you will not be able to take advantage of RFS fares. You could instead join Avios for points and do a survey and earn 600Avios for completing the first survey. This may take several goes but the Avios post pretty instantly. Or simply buy 1000 Avios for 31 /36 /$53
Thanks for the info.

I have had QR promo for free 2.5k avios, which I subsequently transferred to Avios in Mar'22. Does that counts as valid transaction? I am not sure about RFS fare.. are they marked with some special rate/flags and/or extra availability?
andydd is offline  
Old Sep 28, 22, 12:43 am
  #537  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Posts: 1,369
I am not sure but I think the transfer from Qatar may not count in the same way that transfers of Avios from Iberia don't count. Others may be able to confirm.

RFS stands for Reward Flight Saver and are fares where the taxes and fees used to be 25 and 4750 Avios each way for a short-haul economy reward flight or 50 and around 10k Avios or more each way for Club Europe short-haul redemption. Now they should show as 1 and a lot of Avios. If you are not eligible.for RFS fares then they will show much higher taxes and fees. You are only eligible for RFS fares if you have earned at least 1 Avios in the last 12 months. If you have then your Avios are also not going to expire for 36 months from.the date you earned that 1 Avios.
AJA_ is online now  
Old Sep 28, 22, 2:15 am
  #538  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
I'm looking for a cheap way to extend the validity of my very modest avios balance
Do you run a car? If so look at BP's BPMe loyalty scheme and BPMe -> Avios.
SimonAB is online now  
Old Sep 28, 22, 2:42 pm
  #539  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: NCL
Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Posts: 467
Originally Posted by andydd View Post
Thanks for the info.

I have had QR promo for free 2.5k avios, which I subsequently transferred to Avios in Mar'22. Does that counts as valid transaction? I am not sure about RFS fare.. are they marked with some special rate/flags and/or extra availability?
They are marked (where available) with the following blue icon:
Tocsin is offline  
Old Yesterday, 9:12 pm
  #540  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Posts: 4,329
I've got about 125K Avios, and found a Premium Economy ticket around the New Year holidays-- BOM-LHR-JFK for a decent price. $1250 OW on Priceline "instant book" but the cheapest on BA.com is around $2000. Priceline is a US company and my account is based in the USA.
Trying to wade through the many rules for upgrading.
If a seat is available on either flight in Business Class, would I be able to use miles to UuA?
Thanks!
kyushuman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread