FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2031028-your-guide-spending-avios-2021-edition.html)

tedmak Feb 4, 2021 5:56 am

Originally Posted by AJA_ (Post 33015521)
It is possible that BA may release Club World reward seats at some point closer to departure but it is more likely that the reward seats that were released have already been snapped up.

FTV stands for Future Travel Voucher - it is the scheme that BA is currently offering in its Book With Confidence scheme (BwC for short) where you can cancel a flight for any reason up to one hour before departure in exchange for a voucher to use against a future flight

More detais here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ce-policy.html

thanks - just one final thing that I couldn’t see.
I am comfortable with only receiving a FTV. What happens where a flight is upgraded with avios and then cancelled by the passenger?
Are the avios refunded?

thanks

AJA_ Feb 4, 2021 6:24 am

Originally Posted by tedmak (Post 33015542)
I am comfortable with only receiving a FTV. What happens where a flight is upgraded with avios and then cancelled by the passenger?
Are the avios refunded?

thanks

I am not sure what happens to your Avios if you upgrade using Avios and then try to cancel for a refund. If you cancel in exchange for the FTV the Avios and any cash paid sit inside the FTV - effectively allowing you to book the same upgraded seat at a future date

alex67500 Feb 4, 2021 6:54 am

Originally Posted by tedmak (Post 33015542)
Are the avios refunded?

thanks

In case of a cancellation, everything is eligible for a refund back to the original form of payment, so Avios are returned to your balance and cash is sent back to the card you used, including any additional TFC where applicable.

Sorry I had misread. If the passenger cancels, all is held in a single FTV.

AJA_ Feb 4, 2021 7:36 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 33015638)
In case of a cancellation, everything is eligible for a refund back to the original form of payment, so Avios are returned to your balance and cash is sent back to the card you used, including any additional TFC where applicable.

That is true if BA cancels, but not necessarily the case if the passenger cancels. If the passenger cancels it depends on the original purchase conditions of the ticket eg is it fully flexible?

alex67500 Feb 4, 2021 8:08 am

Originally Posted by AJA_ (Post 33015709)
That is true if BA cancels, but not necessarily the case if the passenger cancels. If the passenger cancels it depends on the original purchase conditions of the ticket eg is it fully flexible?

True, sorry I misread. You're correct. In the case where a passenger cancels, everything is held in the FTV, Avios and cash. Mea culpa.

tedmak Feb 4, 2021 8:33 am

Originally Posted by alex67500 (Post 33015766)
True, sorry I misread. You're correct. In the case where a passenger cancels, everything is held in the FTV, Avios and cash. Mea culpa.

thanks

fyi - I made the premium economy bookings with cash, then called to upgrade.
only took about ten minutes.
if I cancel, the cash value and avios are added to the FTV.

thanks for all the contribution

ps -Just need to decide where else to book now as I fear some rug will be pulled at some point this year

AJA_ Feb 4, 2021 9:11 am

Originally Posted by tedmak (Post 33015812)
thanks

fyi - I made the premium economy bookings with cash, then called to upgrade.
only took about ten minutes.
if I cancel, the cash value and avios are added to the FTV.

thanks for all the contribution

ps -Just need to decide where else to book now as I fear some rug will be pulled at some point this year

You're welcome! I hope you get to fly. Next time around you can use the "book and upgrade" feature on the BA website to do it all online which can be useful as it ensures that you get the seats in the next cabin. Doing it the way you did you run the risk of someone bagging the CW seats while you're waiting on the phone.

tedmak Feb 4, 2021 9:54 am

Originally Posted by AJA_ (Post 33015900)
You're welcome! I hope you get to fly. Next time around you can use the "book and upgrade" feature on the BA website to do it all online which can be useful as it ensures that you get the seats in the next cabin. Doing it the way you did you run the risk of someone bagging the CW seats while you're waiting on the phone.

Will do that in future but in this case it was open jaw. You can book open jaw for cash but can only book and upgrade simultaneously for return flights involving the same destinations.

On a tangent - was very hard to find business reward flights in August and September to Vancouver. Any idea why that is?
Vancouver being coastal isn’t an issue in October but Toronto can be.

AJA_ Feb 4, 2021 10:22 am

Originally Posted by tedmak (Post 33016010)
Will do that in future but in this case it was open jaw. You can book open jaw for cash but can only book and upgrade simultaneously for return flights involving the same destinations.

On a tangent - was very hard to find business reward flights in August and September to Vancouver. Any idea why that is?
Vancouver being coastal isn’t an issue in October but Toronto can be.

Ah yes you're right open jaw bookings can't be done online if you want them to be on the same PNR although you could just have booked them as separate tickets online. That has its risks as well as you might have problems if the outbound got cancelled but not the inbound. As for the lack of reward flights in August and September to Vancouver it could be any number of reasons from events happening then or school holidays or all the reward seats have already been taken as BA only guarantee to release 2 CW seats per flight. It could also be that general availability in CW is low. BA used to fly the recently retired 747 on that route which had a First Class cabin and so many people will have been downgraded to CW.

icejan Feb 5, 2021 5:34 am

Not sure if this is the right place or If I should have made a new thread; but does anyone know if BAEC phone agents are able to book broken up married segments? I wanted to book an intra Asia award on CX, but it only shows up if I search it as a married segment. Thanks a lot!

KARFA Feb 5, 2021 5:36 am

Originally Posted by icejan (Post 33017633)
Not sure if this is the right place or If I should have made a new thread; but does anyone know if BAEC phone agents are able to book broken up married segments? I wanted to book an intra Asia award on CX, but it only shows up if I search it as a married segment. Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately not. If CX are only offering it as a married segment then that would be the same whether booking online or over the phone.

njoboyle Feb 5, 2021 10:05 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Y'all have been a wealth of knowledge for me on all things BAEC.

I am flying DCA-MIA-LHR and return in a few weeks to get Gold. I am CW on the LHR-MIA return flight. I saw on BA.com and Seat Spy that there was a F upgrade available. However, when I called the service center, they indicated that there was no availability. Any help or guidance would be helpful on this.

RB211 Feb 5, 2021 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by njoboyle (Post 33018139)
Long time lurker, first time poster. Y'all have been a wealth of knowledge for me on all things BAEC.

I am flying DCA-MIA-LHR and return in a few weeks to get Gold. I am CW on the LHR-MIA return flight. I saw on BA.com and Seat Spy that there was a F upgrade available. However, when I called the service center, they indicated that there was no availability. Any help or guidance would be helpful on this.

Without specific information it is difficult to provide any definitive information. Did you try calling again if there was still availability after the first call?

rb211.

njoboyle Feb 8, 2021 9:14 am

Thank you for your help on this; I am happy to provide more information. I tried to UuA online when I saw that there was availability. The website indicated that I could not do this online, so I called. The agent indicated that I could not upgraded at this time. I called back two other times (two different days) with the same results. Please let me know If there is any information that I can provide.

RB211 Feb 8, 2021 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by njoboyle (Post 33023619)
Thank you for your help on this; I am happy to provide more information. I tried to UuA online when I saw that there was availability. The website indicated that I could not do this online, so I called. The agent indicated that I could not upgraded at this time. I called back two other times (two different days) with the same results. Please let me know If there is any information that I can provide.

The date would help tremendously. Also, what do the agents say when you tell them you can see availability on the BA website?

rb211.