Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Jul 3, 22, 3:41 pm
  #421  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. I.
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 136
Smile

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Would you consider connecting in DOH? BHD-LHR-DOH-KUL on BA/QR? Or maybe even a single-connection on QR for DUB-DOH-KUL? (No UK APD, obviously, ex-DUB.)
More than happy to try both of those suggestions, Thank You.
We have done Dub-Dubai-KL once before.
We found it was fine although we prefer the direct flight to KL.
Such a pity BA reinstated the flights and then pulled them again.
Our last long haul flight was February 2020 ,BA, KUL-LHR-BHD in First and it was fabulous.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
sentosa is offline  
Old Jul 3, 22, 4:13 pm
  #422  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,561
Originally Posted by sentosa View Post
More than happy to try both of those suggestions, Thank You.
We have done Dub-Dubai-KL once before.
We found it was fine although we prefer the direct flight to KL.
Such a pity BA reinstated the flights and then pulled them again.
Our last long haul flight was February 2020 ,BA, KUL-LHR-BHD in First and it was fabulous.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
If BA is still offering multi-carrier awards (which were only bookable over the phone), and you can add a segment on EI or MH to the itinerary (maybe DUB-LHR/LGW-DOH-KUL on EI/QR on the outbound), you should be able to get the roundtrip for 200,000 Avios in Business. (You could even return to BHD, if you did not leave a vehicle at DUB.)

More info on BA's multi-carrier awards here:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us

(Note that in these awards, the multiplier for Business Class is 2X, not 3X.)

See also this Prince of Travel discussion of these awards:

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/avio...s-new-in-2021/

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 3, 22 at 6:56 pm
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 1:09 am
  #423  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. I.
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
If BA is still offering multi-carrier awards (which were only bookable over the phone), and you can add a segment on EI or MH to the itinerary (maybe DUB-LHR/LGW-DOH-KUL on EI/QR on the outbound), you should be able to get the roundtrip for 200,000 Avios in Business. (You could even return to BHD, if you did not leave a vehicle at DUB.)

More info on BA's multi-carrier awards here:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us

(Note that in these awards, the multiplier for Business Class is 2X, not 3X.)

See also this Prince of Travel discussion of these awards:

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/avio...s-new-in-2021/

My reading for the day.
Thank you, very much appreciated.
sentosa is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 1:58 pm
  #424  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,936
I vaguely recall some time late last year, BA charged the same surcharge on IB flights as how much IB would charge. At that time we on the forum did not know whether it was a lucky glitch or a permanent change.

Anybody has recent experiences on whether this is still the case or IB is cheaper on the cash portion?
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 2:36 pm
  #425  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,561
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I vaguely recall some time late last year, BA charged the same surcharge on IB flights as how much IB would charge. At that time we on the forum did not know whether it was a lucky glitch or a permanent change.

Anybody has recent experiences on whether this is still the case or IB is cheaper on the cash portion?
For a definitive answer, I would just log into both of my accounts and do a test booking for the same IB flight.

When I checked a month or two ago, it appeared that BA and IB were charging the same cash component for a TATL flight on IB.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jul 4, 22, 10:02 pm
  #426  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Posts: 44
Hi. I was wondering how to best use ~100k avios BA (Also have same amt w/ avios IB) for a akl -> lax on 3 mar 2023... it would either be with qantas or AA. I’m lost on using avios for other airlines besides BA and IB.
I was wondering if I can buy a premium economy ticket on either airline and then upgrade to business with the avios? Or do the tix have to be bought through BA to use avios to upgrade?
Or can I book a premium economy tix using avios?

thanks for your help.
happytravelskh is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 6:10 pm
  #427  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,936
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
For a definitive answer, I would just log into both of my accounts and do a test booking for the same IB flight.

When I checked a month or two ago, it appeared that BA and IB were charging the same cash component for a TATL flight on IB.
My IB account is zero balance. Not remember whether it allows one to check award flight. Yes a few months ago the cost was identical on IB flights, we had a discussion on a related thread in IB forum. IIRC the only advantage I saw at that time is the lower cancellation fee thru IB but with the horrendous customer services with IB, I would not mind (and probably most people) to pay a slightly higher cancellation fee to book with BA.

I wish QR and BA would work the same but it seems QR charges a lot less $ than BA when both charge the same Avios.
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 5, 22, 7:17 pm
  #428  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,561
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
My IB account is zero balance. Not remember whether it allows one to check award flight. Yes a few months ago the cost was identical on IB flights, we had a discussion on a related thread in IB forum. IIRC the only advantage I saw at that time is the lower cancellation fee thru IB but with the horrendous customer services with IB, I would not mind (and probably most people) to pay a slightly higher cancellation fee to book with BA.
I just did award searches for MIA-MAD in Business on Iberia on January 11.

AA wants 57,500 AA miles + $123.70 USD.

Both BA and IB each want 42,500 Avios + $123.70 USD.
flashware likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 22, 6:21 am
  #429  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA
Posts: 9,823
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
If BA is still offering multi-carrier awards (which were only bookable over the phone), and you can add a segment on EI or MH to the itinerary (maybe DUB-LHR/LGW-DOH-KUL on EI/QR on the outbound), you should be able to get the roundtrip for 200,000 Avios in Business. (You could even return to BHD, if you did not leave a vehicle at DUB.)

More info on BA's multi-carrier awards here:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us

(Note that in these awards, the multiplier for Business Class is 2X, not 3X.)

See also this Prince of Travel discussion of these awards:

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/avio...s-new-in-2021/
EI can't be included in these - only OW airlines.
BA6501 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 22, 12:44 pm
  #430  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,561
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
EI can't be included in these - only OW airlines.
Are you sure about that? Before AS entered oneworld, BA was quoting the multi-carrier redemption rate for a West Coast (U.S.A.) roundtrip using AA in one direction and AS in the other. It was much higher than if booked as two separate one-ways.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 22, 4:30 pm
  #431  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA
Posts: 9,823
I mean, I tried twice (and once with AS) and all three times were denied. Then again, it's not like anyone really knows the rules of these bookings...
BA6501 is offline  
Old Jul 10, 22, 4:55 pm
  #432  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 24,561
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Then again, it's not like anyone really knows the rules of these bookings...
Yes, that's true.

But for a trip from Northern Ireland or DUB to KUL and back, a traveler should be able to squeeze in at least a short segment on MH -- or maybe even AY -- to get the required two partners without flying EI, if necessary.

Maybe JAXBA can advise whether non-oneworld partners like EI can be included on BA multi-carrier redemptions.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 10, 22 at 5:04 pm
guv1976 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 22, 8:57 am
  #433  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: N. I.
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Would you consider connecting in DOH? BHD-LHR-DOH-KUL on BA/QR? Or maybe even a single-connection on QR for DUB-DOH-KUL? (No UK APD, obviously, ex-DUB.)
Thank you guv1976 for your invaluable information.

I have spent hours playing about with different permutations, a 'chore' I enjoy.
Have decided that our best option is to transfer my Avios to Qatar and go Dublin-Doha-KL return.
150,000 Avios plus tax each.

There is a convenient bus service from Belfast directly to Dublin airport so no driving and car parking needed.
Also means I can enjoy the champagne on the Doha to Dublin flight .
Thank you again.

Sentosa
guv1976, efincomputer and AJA_ like this.
sentosa is offline  
Old Jul 14, 22, 4:54 am
  #434  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 2
If I book an award ticket on Alaska using 7500 Avios, does anyone know if I can then do same day change with Alaska during the check-in window?
jlndll is offline  
Old Jul 14, 22, 7:48 am
  #435  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,876
Originally Posted by jlndll View Post
If I book an award ticket on Alaska using 7500 Avios, does anyone know if I can then do same day change with Alaska during the check-in window?
You can't do a same day change (SDC) on Avios ticket's, even on BA. (Which requires someone to book a Plus fare which then allows a SDC but on BA only) More info in the Wiki in the attached link.

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

I believe Alaska does same day changes but there are terms and conditions for that as per their website.
PETER01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread