Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by m600
I've been looking at LHR - BOS 241 in CW tickets and when I compare BA's carrier charges with a booking I made for the same routing in January 2022, the cost has increased by Ł150 (37.5%).
I think that the surcharge on that route is currently Ł550 per person. Is that what you are seeing?

The surcharge for a cash fare is now Ł700, and there are reports of some circumstances in which people have been asked to pay that much. But it's unclear whether the Ł150 increase you mention is an increase to Ł550, or an increase from Ł550.
m600 and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If I recall , carrier surcharges ex LHR were lower than the route in the opposite direction. Wood be interesting to see if us the same difference
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that the surcharge on that route is currently Ł550 per person. Is that what you are seeing?

The surcharge for a cash fare is now Ł700, and there are reports of some circumstances in which people have been asked to pay that much. But it's unclear whether the Ł150 increase you mention is an increase to Ł550, or an increase from Ł550.
Thanks, Globaliser. I'm sorry for the confusion - the increase was from Ł400 to Ł550.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:59 am

Have BA changed anything about how they are releasing flights for reward bookings?

I had a real struggle to get anything to Japan next May with no seats showing outbound or inbound in anything other than Economy. I managed to book something one morning when suddenly business flights appeared both ways but now I'm trying to get the return date I actually need and only the economy flights showed up online this morning.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by garak112
Have BA changed anything about how they are releasing flights for reward bookings?

I had a real struggle to get anything to Japan next May with no seats showing outbound or inbound in anything other than Economy. I managed to book something one morning when suddenly business flights appeared both ways but now I'm trying to get the return date I actually need and only the economy flights showed up online this morning.
Nothing on oneworld partner carriers, or do you only want to fly BA?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Nothing on oneworld partner carriers, or do you only want to fly BA?
Companion voucher means I’m restricted to BA.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: Avios
I have 140,000 avios and a companion voucher. Aiming to go to Los Angeles from London in August for 3 weeks, but not finding any flights. Happy to fly in somewhere close and then get a different flight to LAX if that helps. Do you think its likely reward flights will open up between now and then? Or should I just resign myself to the fact I wont be able to use my milage and actually buy the flights? Obviously nobody knows what will happen, but wondering based on experience what you guys think.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Hi folks. I’m trying to upgrade an SFO-LHR flight from paid Club World to First using Avios. There is currently no availability, and it seems unlikely there will be. Still, you never know.

My Q is does the “Upgrade using Avios” button appear in “Manage my booking ” only if there is availability? This is a 125-stock ticket I bought via Amex. I believe it is eligible for upgrade, but I’m not sure. I was a little surprised not to see any upgrade button, though I expected that pressing it would only reveal no upgrade available.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:12 pm

Upgrade from JAL J to F, originally booked with BA Avios

Hi! My first post here on FT!

I have an upcoming flight on JAL J from LAX-BKK via NRT in about 2 weeks. I booked using BA Avios (my first premium cabin redemption!) I was looking today and found some F availability on the LAX-NRT leg — will I be able to upgrade using more points to F by calling BA? I’ve waited for about 1.5 hours today with BA but no luck getting through, will attempt again this evening.

Also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to better get in contact with someone at BA to make this change other than calling their 800 number?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by travelod
Hi! My first post here on FT!

I have an upcoming flight on JAL J from LAX-BKK via NRT in about 2 weeks. I booked using BA Avios (my first premium cabin redemption!) I was looking today and found some F availability on the LAX-NRT leg — will I be able to upgrade using more points to F by calling BA? I’ve waited for about 1.5 hours today with BA but no luck getting through, will attempt again this evening.

Also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to better get in contact with someone at BA to make this change other than calling their 800 number?

Thanks so much!
You aren't really upgrading in this circumstance but in reality the agent is creating a new avios booking in F and then cancelling your existing booking in J. To do this you will have to call.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:45 am

Quick Question, looking at booking Auckland to Sydney on Qantas in J - just checking that I could access the Emirates lounge in AKL on a BA-issued ticket, and still have access to fast track security etc? Many thanks :-)

Edit - actually it’s not even showing the lounge on Emirates’ website - did they close it?!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Quick Question, looking at booking Auckland to Sydney on Qantas in J - just checking that I could access the Emirates lounge in AKL on a BA-issued ticket, and still have access to fast track security etc? Many thanks :-)

Edit - actually it’s not even showing the lounge on Emirates’ website - did they close it?!
You will probably receive better answers in the QF or EK forums. Whether or not it is a BA award ticket won’t matter.
That said, the EK AKL lounge has not reopened yet.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Wonder if anyone has some advice please.
Hoping to visit Malaysia next June and have all but given up trying to use my 2 for 1 vouchers with BA.
Decided to try Malaysian ,using Avios , and was able to find availability in First Class BHD-LHR-KUL return.
Then website tells me there is a problem with this booking and to try again or call.
Lightbulb moment, maybe because BA don't fly First on a Domestic Flight
So I try from LHR_KUL.
This tells me there are no direct flights from LHR to KUL which I know is NOT correct.
It offers connections , flying from LHR via Singapore, Delhi, Bombay and Hyderabad, all using BA and MAS flights.
Change of date doesn't make a difference.
Am I doing something wrong?
Is my only option to try and get through on the phone?
Do I phone the Silver line or General line?
Many Thanks.

Sentosa
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Update to above.

MAS no longer offer First Class, but the new Business Suite is the new offering.
Sadly, not bookable using Avios.
BA website needs to update.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Would you consider connecting in DOH? BHD-LHR-DOH-KUL on BA/QR? Or maybe even a single-connection on QR for DUB-DOH-KUL? (No UK APD, obviously, ex-DUB.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.