Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old May 21, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by KARFA
i think this is an odd answer, partly as I agree the distance you were given doesn’t make sense and partly because the 300 mile rule applies to ba flights and not partner reward flights. Usually for partner reward flights you need reward availability on the new flight, even if the change is due to a cancellation.
Indeed, after I was placed on a hold, I was allowed to make my changes on UL flying NRT-CMB-BKK. Thanks for the reply.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:19 am

Would someone be able to clarify something for me?

AMS-LHR-JFK is € 825 in WTP. I have avios to upgrade to club.

If I go for the option" book for cash and upgrade with Avios" BA wants € 1.110 plus 53.000 avios.

I would rather just book the € 825 fare and upgrade LHR-JFK for 40.000 avios (return). I understand there will a taxes and fees difference I will have to pay.
Ive looked up the cash fares and for AMS-LHR-JFK the difference in taxes and fees is € 260 but when i check LHR-JFK (which is the leg I want to upgrade) the difference is GBP 500

Anyway to tell what the amount will be?
Old May 23, 2022, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
An AMS-LHR-JFK-LHR-AMS cash ticket with the short-hauls in economy (K class) and the long-hauls in WT+ (T class) should have TFC of €311.78, according to ITA.

If the short-hauls are in economy (Y class) and the long-hauls in CW (J class), the TFC should be €441.78.

So the difference in TFC when you UuA ought to be €130.
KARFA and jeroen100 like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
An AMS-LHR-JFK-LHR-AMS cash ticket with the short-hauls in economy (K class) and the long-hauls in WT+ (T class) should have TFC of €311.78, according to ITA.

If the short-hauls are in economy (Y class) and the long-hauls in CW (J class), the TFC should be €441.78.

So the difference in TFC when you UuA ought to be €130.
Thank you very much! Comparing both options the AMS-LHR and LHR-AMS upgrade would be € 155 plus 13k avios... no thanks..
Old May 25, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
If I wanted to book lax -> akl on AA83 on 8 feb 2023 business class using baec, from my understanding of charts above, this would fall under band 8 category “other airlines”.... and would be ~108k. I would need to book by calling baec directly bc it won’t show on ba site. Does this sound correct or have I missed something big time (which is more than likely).
thanks for help in advance
Old May 25, 2022, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by happytravelskh
If I wanted to book lax -> akl on AA83 on 8 feb 2023 business class using baec, from my understanding of charts above, this would fall under band 8 category “other airlines”.... and would be ~108k. I would need to book by calling baec directly bc it won’t show on ba site. Does this sound correct or have I missed something big time (which is more than likely).
thanks for help in advance
Unfortunately, you have indeed missed something big time.

In order to be able to redeem Avios for travel on AA, AA must be making the award seat available at (or perhaps below) the redemption rate for AA's "MileSAAver" awards. The MileSAAver redemption rate for Business Class on AA between the Continental U.S. and the South Pacific is 80,000 AAdvantage miles. On your particular date, AA is asking for a whopping 375,000 AAdvantage miles for a one-way in Business Class on that flight. This is what AA calls an AAnytime award, and AAnytime awards are not available for redemption by partner frequent-flyer programs.

Sorry.

Old May 25, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Thanks... it’s so much harder to know now what is milesaver and anytime now.... I don’t find the site as friendly as it used to be.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: Lotz
New to the Avios upgrades. Is there a way to see what the upgrade cost will be in Avios on a paid ticket early? Is it always much lower than cash valuing Avios at 1.2 cents? Does the Avios upgrade incur the dreaded fuel surcharges?
Old May 26, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tassojunior
New to the Avios upgrades.
There's a lot of information in the UuA post at the beginning of the thread - see Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition
tassojunior likes this.
Old May 28, 2022, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
First awards will become increasingly rare as the number of First seats being operated by BA continues to decrease. This has long been predicted, from well before Covid started. Covid will only have made it worse.
I am also looking for BA premium cabin award space for the west coast from the summer onwards but can find hardly anything. Looking at SFO, SJC, LAX, SEA, SAN in both F and CW, I see only random dates in November and December in CW and basically nothing in F. I understand that there is much less capacity in F now, but didn't BA promise to make a certain number of CW redemptions available on every flight? I am willing to compromise on the sky-high fuel surcharges and LHR premium cabin airport taxes for increased availability, but now that there is hardly any space, Avios seem to be quite worthless...
I am even looking at space in the next 7-14 days just to check if they release last-minute award inventory like many other airlines, but nothing comes up either.
Other than booking way in advance or last minute, being flexible, checking multiple destinations, what other strategies are there to redeem for premium cabin west coast flights?
Old May 28, 2022, 6:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Here's an interesting article.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...ard-flights-2/

Unfortunately F seats are a rarity now especially with the downsizing of cabins, the demise of the 747's as well as quite a few aircraft are now only 3 class so the West coast CW ones are snapped up extremely quickly too.

Some BA FTr's report seatspy is quite good and you could set an alert on EF but otherwise its usually fastest finger/calling at the exact moment when they re available.

The good thing with alerts is that if you miss them then there's always the small possibility more are released. Travelling off peak might help, slightly but for this summer i wouldn't be optimistic of getting any CW seats but you never know!

Pete
Old May 28, 2022, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Here's an interesting article.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...ard-flights-2/

Unfortunately F seats are a rarity now especially with the downsizing of cabins, the demise of the 747's as well as quite a few aircraft are now only 3 class so the West coast CW ones are snapped up extremely quickly too.

Some BA FTr's report seatspy is quite good and you could set an alert on EF but otherwise its usually fastest finger/calling at the exact moment when they re available.

The good thing with alerts is that if you miss them then there's always the small possibility more are released. Travelling off peak might help, slightly but for this summer i wouldn't be optimistic of getting any CW seats but you never know!

Pete
Thanks for the answer, I guess its just a case of dwindling supply and overwhelming demand...so its like an Avios inflation...without any official devaluation of the award chart...
Old May 29, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: Lotz
Since BA sticks to it's cheap award chart for AA, fewer seats on AA are available. But any seat that does come up is at the low chart rate. I wish there were a way to search BA monthly as the weekly by day method is a PITA.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:19 am

It must have been asked and answered here before but I can’t for the life of me seem to find the answer:

if I upgrade using avios from WTP (cash booking) to Club and later want to change the booking to a different date or different route, will I get the avios and money back that I used for the upgrade?

or should I find a different itinerary with award space available and change to that with paying the difference in avios ?

or would I just lose the avios?

thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
I was shocked to find BA Avios wants 10,000 points now to go CTS-ITM one way. I used to book this for 4,500 points pre devaluation pre covid. This route should only be 646 miles distance and fall into band 1. I'm not sure how it is calculating at 10,000 miles because it according to chart even "Band 2" should be only 9,000 and this route should fall into "Band 1". BA Avios used to be so good for short-haul Oneworld flights... a bit disappointed... I guess it was good while it lasted. =(((

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.