Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I haven't looked at availabilities for a long time (thanks, Covid lockdowns), but it seems now that everyone is emerging fromt their sheltering in place, people grab those seats like crazy - or is availability even worse now than pre-covid? Looking for First to NA West Coast has always been bad, but really this bad? Is expertflyer worth it for the alerts? Or are new availabilities gone within minutes? I have 190k avios that are burning a hole in my digital pocket.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mjrkong
Looking for First to NA West Coast has always been bad, but really this bad?
First awards will become increasingly rare as the number of First seats being operated by BA continues to decrease. This has long been predicted, from well before Covid started. Covid will only have made it worse.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
First awards will become increasingly rare as the number of First seats being operated by BA continues to decrease. This has long been predicted, from well before Covid started. Covid will only have made it worse.
Ah, I see. I'm so out of the loop Last thing I remember along those lines is that the 787s didn't have First. OK, time to catch up a little more here in the form...
Old May 7, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mjrkong
Last thing I remember along those lines is that the 787s didn't have First.
One of the effects of Covid was that the remaining 28 747s never returned to service. That was 392 physical seats taken out of the fleet, most of them operating two flights a day. Even now, only half of the 380s are back in service, so that's another 84 seats not operating at present. And so on and so forth.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
One of the effects of Covid was that the remaining 28 747s never returned to service. That was 392 physical seats taken out of the fleet, most of them operating two flights a day. Even now, only half of the 380s are back in service, so that's another 84 seats not operating at present. And so on and so forth.
I cannot help but to feel sad about it, even though the end of these great old birds had been long coming.

Thank you for bringing me up to speed, that's indeed a bunch of seats being eliminated. At least it seems from recent-ish posts here that the J hard product has been improved.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:53 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
I recently did a BER-LHR-HND redemption and I'm confused about the Avios calculation on it. The LHR-HND segment ist first on JAL and costs 123750 Avios, the first leg is off-peak business and from my understanding should be 8500 Avios, so 132250 in total. However both agents I talked to seemed to be unable to come up with that amount. Both quoted me 138750, so basically 15000 Avios for the first BA segment. Is this the way it is or is there something the agents could have done differently?
Old May 12, 2022, 5:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So the reason is that it is pricing the short haul flights at the highest avios and lowest cash rate rather than the normal band rate. I am not sure there is a way around it, or at least I don't think I have seen any positive results when challenging it. You can book the two flights as separate bookings but obviously that has implications for protection if you misconnect and potential extra taxes.

15000 Avios + £ 0.50
14250 Avios + £ 4.50
11750 Avios + £ 12.50
8500 Avios + £ 25.00
6500 Avios + £ 42.50
5250 Avios + £ 62.50
freakazoid and alex67500 like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Looking at CDG-MLE on way, and seeing Qatar F available (!) on CDG-DOH and DOH-MLE separately, but impossible to book as a connection. BA only shows Y as options.
Same results using Alaska Airlines miles, so maybe it's a QR thing?
I do see that Sri Lankan biz is available for much fewer miles, so not a total loss if QR F doesn't work out.
Thanks for any info!
Old May 13, 2022, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Looking at CDG-MLE on way, and seeing Qatar F available (!) on CDG-DOH and DOH-MLE separately, but impossible to book as a connection. BA only shows Y as options.
I do see that Sri Lankan biz is available for much fewer miles, so not a total loss if QR F doesn't work out.
Thanks for any info!
Have you considered booking the two QR flights as separate redemptions?

Edited to add: If you're willing to pay BA's telephone-booking fee, it might even be possible to book the two separate redemptions on a single PNR.
kyushuman likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 13, 2022 at 3:24 pm
Old May 13, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for any info!
Just wanted to note that even with separate PNRs, QR policy is to through-check bags QR=>QR and QR=>other oneworld carriers:

QR Interlining (Baggage)

Not sure, however, about QR's protection policy in the event of IRROPS on separate PNRs.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you considered booking the two QR flights as separate redemptions?

Edited to add: If you're willing to pay BA's telephone-booking fee, it might even be possible to book the two separate redemptions on a single PNR.
Thanks for that. I was thinking it might be cheaper as one itinerary, but BA seem to charge for each segment anyway (?) vs most US-based programs (AA, AS, DL, UA) charge the same for region to region.
Old May 13, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that. I was thinking it might be cheaper as one itinerary, but BA seem to charge for each segment anyway (?) vs most US-based programs (AA, AS, DL, UA) charge the same for region to region.
That's correct. "Regular" BAEC redemptions charge for each flight flown. BAEC does offer "multi-partner" redemptions which are based on total distance flown, rather than the length of each individual segment. If you were planning to return to Europe, a multi-partner award might be make sense, especially if you were to fly QR F on the outbound, and UL J on the return.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks for any info!
QR does utilize married segments extensively. Others have also found similar involving DOH and MLE. For example, see:
un-married segments?
kyushuman likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Distance calculation in Avios redemption

I had to change an Avios booking since JL cancelled by KIX-BKK flight in August. I tried to get a NRT-BKK flight but the agent said it couldn't be done as NRT is more than 350 miles from KIX ("352 miles"). However, when I looked it up on GCmaps, it's only 306 miles. So does BA use an industry database (sort of like Timatic) to calculate distances? If the database is based on the average of previous flight paths, I can see another 50 miles or so added based on departure and arrival paths.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fbrdky
I had to change an Avios booking since JL cancelled by KIX-BKK flight in August. I tried to get a NRT-BKK flight but the agent said it couldn't be done as NRT is more than 350 miles from KIX ("352 miles"). However, when I looked it up on GCmaps, it's only 306 miles. So does BA use an industry database (sort of like Timatic) to calculate distances? If the database is based on the average of previous flight paths, I can see another 50 miles or so added based on departure and arrival paths.
i think this is an odd answer, partly as I agree the distance you were given doesn’t make sense and partly because the 300 mile rule applies to ba flights and not partner reward flights. Usually for partner reward flights you need reward availability on the new flight, even if the change is due to a cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.