Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by eh220160
OJ using a new 241 flying ABC-LHR-XYZ - is the distance limit rule calculated between ABC-LHR (so LHR-XYZ must be equal or shorter) or does this remain per the old 241s so ABC-XYZ must be shorter than ABC-LHR?
The old rule was actually that ABC-XYZ must be shorter than both ABC-LHR and LHR-XYZ, although with a UK start and finish this was rarely an issue with old-style vouchers.

What the agent said actually makes no sense anyway.

If we knew what ABC and XYZ are, it would take some of the abstract guesswork out of the equation.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The old rule was actually that ABC-XYZ must be shorter than both ABC-LHR and LHR-XYZ, although with a UK start and finish this was rarely an issue with old-style vouchers.

What the agent said actually makes no sense anyway.

If we knew what ABC and XYZ are, it would take some of the abstract guesswork out of the equation.
Thanks for the response and apologies, should have been more clear - GIG-LHR-XYZ. Trying to figure out whether XYZ is in fact limited to GRU / LIM (if restarted) or I can travel further afield (e.g. MRU / HKG / BKK), and whether XYZ needs to be in the same fare zone as GIG (which I suspect is still the case). The agent rattled off all the Zone 7 destinations as potentials for XYZ but this seemed a bit too "generous" (I had initially assumed only GRU and LIM would be allowed).
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by eh220160
Thanks for the response and apologies, should have been more clear - GIG-LHR-XYZ. Trying to figure out whether XYZ is in fact limited to GRU / LIM (if restarted) or I can travel further afield (e.g. MRU / HKG / BKK), and whether XYZ needs to be in the same fare zone as GIG (which I suspect is still the case).
XYZ never needed to be in the same zone. LHR-SYD//HKG-LHR was always permitted.

However, looking at your options, here is the list. In each case, the last line is the surface sector, and you can see why (at least under the old rule) GRU and LIM would be fine, but MRU, BKK and HKG would not:

GIG-LHR 5734 mi
LHR-GRU 5863 mi
GRU-GIG 210 mi

GIG-LHR 5734 mi
LHR-LIM 6301 mi
LIM-GIG 2349 mi

GIG-LHR 5734 mi
LHR-MRU 6068 mi
MRU-GIG 6341 mi

GIG-LHR 5734 mi
LHR-BKK 5958 mi
BKK-GIG 10007 mi

GIG-LHR 5734 mi
LHR-HKG 5994 mi
HKG-GIG 10989 mi
eh220160 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
XYZ never needed to be in the same zone. LHR-SYD//HKG-LHR was always permitted.

However, looking at your options, here is the list. In each case, the last line is the surface sector, and you can see why (at least under the old rule) GRU and LIM would be fine, but MRU, BKK and HKG would not:
Thank you very much for clarifying - had quoted those destinations as all in the same zone but it's good to know there are no restrictions in that regard (and so the list of potential destinations is far longer than just GRU and LIM)
Old Feb 24, 2022, 7:10 am

Duplicate post
michlflyer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Avios Hotel only booking

Thanks for everyone's help on here, I've had a read through and not seen anything relating to my query.

I made a hotel booking using Avios for May this year, which I now no longer require. I understand there's the Ł35 cancellation charge, but I should get my avios back.

I rang Avios up this morning (Warrington number) and spoke to the advisor. She could not find the booking using the booking reference number, my BAEC number or my email address. She suggested I ring BA up.

This isn't a BA Holiday, it's a stand alone booking but she seemed to think because I booked it through the BA website (using make a booking with avios) that is the issue.

So, does anyone know if BA Holidays would be able to sort it, or is there some other solution to this. Thanks in advance 😊
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:50 am

If i book ABC-DOH-XYZ on QR with Avios, ABC-DOH in Business, DOH-XYZ in First, I get an error on the website. Is it possible to book that over the phone? There is no First Class on ABC-DOH, will I have to pay the First Class Avios rate for the whole trip or just for the second leg?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:40 pm

Trying to piece together an epic multi-partner award in J for the end of the year. Here is the routing that I have in mind.
jfk-nrt-Icn-tpe -hkg-mel-akl-hkg-cpt-doh-mad-lax-hnl-jfk. Total 49526 miles.

Here are some questions I have:

1- can I go back and stop more than once in the same place (HKG in this routing)

2- is it like a RTW ticket or is it ok to « backtrack » and change the direction of travel?

3- what is the maximum number of segments? 16?

thanks for your help.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by Bluetravels
Trying to piece together an epic multi-partner award in J for the end of the year. Here is the routing that I have in mind.
jfk-nrt-Icn-tpe -hkg-mel-akl-hkg-cpt-doh-mad-lax-hnl-jfk. Total 49526 miles.

Here are some questions I have:

1- can I go back and stop more than once in the same place (HKG in this routing)

2- is it like a RTW ticket or is it ok to « backtrack » and change the direction of travel?

3- what is the maximum number of segments? 16?

thanks for your help.
I'm pretty sure you can't backtrack to HKG (if/when it reopens). Not sure if you can do HNL-JFK either.
The max number of segments is 8. Thus, I would encourage you to book it in two tickets: jfk-nrt-Icn-tpe -hkg-mel followed by akl-hkg-cpt-doh-mad-lax-hnl-jfk You should find your own way between MEL and AKL
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by fbrdky
I'm pretty sure you can't backtrack to HKG (if/when it reopens). Not sure if you can do HNL-JFK either.
The max number of segments is 8. Thus, I would encourage you to book it in two tickets: jfk-nrt-Icn-tpe -hkg-mel followed by akl-hkg-cpt-doh-mad-lax-hnl-jfk You should find your own way between MEL and AKL
Thanks for the info. Not been able to find a definitive answer on the subject and even called BA twice and got different answers to my questions (Agents don't seem to book those often).

As anyone been able to locate the rules? Is that doc public?

Aeroplan limtis epic routings to 16 segments, but it's 8 segments for BA EC?

Splitting the journey would mean almost 50%+ as much Avios
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: AP AS BA
There's more info on this FT thread.
There's an official T&C for BAEC somewhere regarding multi-carrier awards but I can't find it.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Can a cash BA 125 ticket on IB (BA7058) be UuA? Selling class is “N” if relevant
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Had a look and could not find an answer to this one...
Yesterday by some miracle I found 2 F seats to SIN. Not wanting to loose them I quickly booked them. Now I would like to tag Avios redemption from any T3 destinations, I am assuming this is possible. Is it just C class Avios redemption that needs to be available?

This is then going to be B2B, so it would be one of T3 destinations that B2B is possible from. I will obviously have F class boarding card for SIN later that day. Will I be able to access CX F class lounge in T3 before my flight out of T3? Also on arrival back to LHR to T3 I need to connect to T5 for SIN flight. Is there any way to access CX lounge again before heading off to T5?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 7:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
if you mean add in these t3 flights to your existing reward booking you can't do that. you can book them as a separate booking tho.

when you come back to t3 you can go through connections and get back in to t airside departures area to use the CX lounge. do leave plenty of time to get to t5, and do familiarise yourself on how to get to the airside buses.

if you have your SIN F bp you should be able to access the CX F lounge by presenting that.
lehovec likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
where is best place to try to book avios reward flights (or upgrades) for internal Australia flights? BA sit doesn't recognise airport (uluru) but Quantas fly there from SYD. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.