Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 3:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Amlb
I am planning to use a FTV that includes a 241to travel to Delhi in November for a tour that starts in Delhi but ends in Kochi

i am guessing that we can’t book the flight to Delhi prior to the return on the 241 as not BA. metal but can we link an Avios or cash booking so to avoiding picking up the luggage midway?

Thanks

AMLB
I presume you mean trying to link in a separate booking between Delhi and Kochi to your LHR-DEL rtn booking? Unfortunately you can't do that and you will have to collect and bags at DEL and re-check them in with your onward airline.
Amlb likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC, EK, VS FC
Thanks, it is what I expected!

AllI need to know/ work out is how bad Delhi is for queues!
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BA silver, CO
I'm thinking of redeeming on AA to fly LAS-MDT (Harrisburg, PA) in June. There are no direct flights so I will have to connect somewhere. There is only one redemption option on the day that I am looking.

I was wondering how avios rebookings are handled if AA cancels one of the legs or if they change the schedule so that I no longer have a valid connection. Can I rebook on other AA flights as if I had paid cash even if there is no redemption availability on those flights? Or are my rebooking options more limited if I pay with avios?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
We have a BA holiday booked in WT+ in May via JFK. No avios availability showing at moment. Looking to upgrade to J with avios. Do I need to wait and see if BA open up any seats. Am GGL.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
We have a BA holiday booked in WT+ in May via JFK. No avios availability showing at moment. Looking to upgrade to J with avios. Do I need to wait and see if BA open up any seats. Am GGL.
yes

alternatively you can use a joker to release seats if there is D selling class available, or use gufs if you have any since they can be used when there is I selling class available.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes

alternatively you can use a joker to release seats if there is D selling class available, or use gufs if you have any since they can be used when there is I selling class available.
Thanks! I haven’t used a joker … I wrongly assumed it was for an avios redemption only booking, and couldn’t be used for UUA
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes

I have on Gold Upgrade voucher left, but two passenger flying. Could I use that for one passenger, and use the joker for the other?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I have on Gold Upgrade voucher left, but two passenger flying. Could I use that for one passenger, and use the joker for the other?
good question, my feeling is i don't think you could combine the two types of upgrade like that, unless you split the booking.

if you use a joker you may as well cover both passengers that way, and personally that's probably what i would do in your situation.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:18 am

Thank you sir!
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: BA
I recently cancelled flights to New York booked via the website using Avios and a companion voucher with the intention of rebooking for later in the year. I got an email immediately with two reference numbers for future travel vouchers (I'm assuming one for each passenger).

Where can I see the detail of what each FTV represents? In my BA account I can't find reference to them, and the Avios and Companion voucher have not been reinstated. Also, do I have to rebook via the call centre - as difficulties in doing that is what got me here in the first place!!! My end game is an open jaw in Sep/Oct.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:39 am

So for FTVs coming from reward bookings, like yours, you will always get an offline FTV. The reference numbers are actually the original ticket numbers for the two passengers. It won't show the value on the email, but basically all the cash, avios, and vouchers you originally paid are held on the FTV to be put towards new booking(s) for travel up to the end of September 2023.

For any vouchers in an FTV they will remain valid for new bookings up to the end of September 2023 as well, regardless of the original expiry date of the voucher.

Nothing gets refunded with FTVs, it is all held on the voucher, so you won't see any avios or companion vouchers re-appearing on your BAEC account.

I am afraid FTVs (whether offline or the online evcoucher ones) will not appear on your voucher list on your BAEC page, you need to keep track of them yourself.

When you come to use your FTV, just check for reward availability on ba.com as normal, but yes you will have to call to make the new booking.
bluegartons and m8_rotate like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bluegartons
Where can I see the detail of what each FTV represents? In my BA account I can't find reference to them, and the Avios and Companion voucher have not been reinstated.
They FTVs hold exactly what you paid for the booking that's been cancelled into the FTVs, so your booking receipt should detail that. Neither the Avios nor the companion voucher will go back to your account, because they have not been refunded: they are held on the FTVs. One way of thinking about FTVs is that they still constitute the booking that you made, but shorn of all reservations.
Also, do I have to rebook via the call centre - as difficulties in doing that is what got me here in the first place!!!
Yes, you do.
bluegartons likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Globaliser
They FTVs hold exactly what you paid for the booking that's been cancelled into the FTVs, so your booking receipt should detail that. Neither the Avios nor the companion voucher will go back to your account, because they have not been refunded: they are held on the FTVs. One way of thinking about FTVs is that they still constitute the booking that you made, but shorn of all reservations.Yes, you do.
Thanks Karfa and Globaliser, much appreciated.

So even though my Companion Voucher expires June 22, in effect it is extended to Sep 23?

And when I use the FTV can I use more Avios from my account to extend the value (I want to fly further west)?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
And when I use the FTV can I use more Avios from my account to extend the value (I want to fly further west)?
Yes, you can.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: OW
OJ using a new 241 flying ABC-LHR-XYZ - is the distance limit rule calculated between ABC-LHR (so LHR-XYZ must be equal or shorter) or does this remain per the old 241s so ABC-XYZ must be shorter than ABC-LHR? Informed over the phone that it was the former but it was by an agent who was initially unaware that a new 241 even existed - "sir your flight must depart London" - so just wondering if any real life experiences? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.