Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by nikolask
Planning to make my first avios redemption and was wondering if this booking provides me with a good value: BOG-MAD-FRA; long haul in Business and short-caul in Economy for 50K Avios and 69€. Would you recommend pulling the trigger? Booking with BA Avios; flighs op by IB
Better to move to IB and book from there as it gives more flexibility on the ticket. Do you have an active IB account?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Better to move to IB and book from there as it gives more flexibility on the ticket. Do you have an active IB account?
Thanks! I do have an active IB account but both the avios required & charges are higher when booking via IB. about 100€ more + 4000 Avios for the exact same route.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Booking with Avios is down for me, anyone else having issues? Cant even price a trip up....

EDIT: its back

Last edited by PGberkshire; Dec 9, 2021 at 10:21 am
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
I needed to extend my companion voucher, so I used the LHR to GLA route and have received an FTV. The miles have been credited but I cannot see the 2-4-1 voucher. The BA agent tells me that the FTV includes the companion voucher, but how can I check this?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by botham
I needed to extend my companion voucher, so I used the LHR to GLA route and have received an FTV. The miles have been credited but I cannot see the 2-4-1 voucher. The BA agent tells me that the FTV includes the companion voucher, but how can I check this?
By asking a BA agent.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the miles have been credited". If you convert an award booking into an FTV, all of the miles used for the booking are put onto the FTV as well.
jerry a. laska and KARFA like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
By asking a BA agent.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the miles have been credited". If you convert an award booking into an FTV, all of the miles used for the booking are put onto the FTV as well.
I am also confused, as the agent said Miles and the voucher were on the FTV.

I am going on what I can recall as I haven’t been able to see my activity for some considerable time, presumably due to the IT upgrade.

I did receive an email saying they were getting round to doubling my TP’s for British Airways holidays bookings, but my balance suggests they’re still in transit!
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by botham
I am also confused, as the agent said Miles and the voucher were on the FTV.
OK, then they very probably just meant that all the miles and the Amex voucher are held on the FTV. In many ways, you can think of the FTV as the original booking that has simply been stripped of reservations for all flights. So you shouldn't see any activity on your BAEC account arising out of taking the FTV. But it is worth you keeping a careful note of the details of the FTV, including how much credit you think should be on it.
jerry a. laska and botham like this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:34 pm

Programs: Lotz
American awards are BACK on the BA awards site for the US tonight. Domestic and international and BA still has the rewards chart. I'll save $2K Xmas week.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
So I booked a return flight with AS using Avios. Got ticketed but BA didn't send me the AS PNR. Where do I find it? Do I really need to get in touch with BA?
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Marschel
So I booked a return flight with AS using Avios. Got ticketed but BA didn't send me the AS PNR. Where do I find it? Do I really need to get in touch with BA?
AS will give it to you if you are in a place to call them. They certainly are a lot easier to reach than BA.
Marschel likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Would it not be displayed, like AA's locator is, on the MMB page asking your permission to transmit information to the other airline when asking to assign a seat for the AS flight?

LcS
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Marschel
Get in contact with BA at Twitter. They‘re very helpful and can tell you the PNR. Did it a couple of times, takes no time.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Originally Posted by ToKo
Get in contact with BA at Twitter. They‘re very helpful and can tell you the PNR. Did it a couple of times, takes no time.
already did. Got the AS PNR within minutes.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by KARFA
A reward booking FTV will always be an offline FTV and you would have to call to use - you can't use them online unfortunately.

You FTV is fine and the avios and cash are still on it. They are available to use towards a new booking for travel up to April 2023, You haven't lost anything. If you really want, you can still cancel the FT and get a refund, minus a Ł35/$55 per person cancellation fee, again this would need a call.
This is a very useful information. Thank you.
I would like to know if the offline FTV will have any residual value if partially used?
In addition, if I cancelled a avios booking for Jan, 2022, the offline FTV retains both avios and taxes? I thought any cancellation to avios reward booking is subject to an administrative fee, am I missing something?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinglan
I would like to know if the offline FTV will have any residual value if partially used?
Yes, you will keep the residual value if you don't fully use the FTV. In many instances, once you have made a new booking the residual value will then be refunded to you.
Originally Posted by flyinglan
In addition, if I cancelled a avios booking for Jan, 2022, the offline FTV retains both avios and taxes? I thought any cancellation to avios reward booking is subject to an administrative fee, am I missing something?
Yes, the FTV retains everything that was on the original booking, without a cancellation fee. You only pay the cancellation fee if you cancel the booking for a refund, or if you cancel to an FTV and then later cancel the FTV for a refund.
flyinglan and KARFA like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.