Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Aug 22, 21, 9:47 am

Sorry for this potentially beginner question, but I was wondering what formula Avios uses to calculate the distance between airports. YYZ-DUB-CDG seems well under the 4000 mile limit (3757 according to WebFlyer), yet when pulling it up on Avios.com it calculates it as being a Zone 6 routing (>4000 miles).

What am I missing?
Old Aug 22, 21, 10:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Rewards price on a per sector basis rather than total distance, so it would be YYZ-DUB + DUB-CDG.
Old Aug 22, 21, 10:54 am

Thanks for the quick reply! However the 3757 miles was in fact calculated a per sector basis.

That being said, I do think I resolved (part of) my own question: the problem is not due to Avios miscalculating the distance, but rather using the wrong award chart. Avios seems to be calculating my routing according to the Oneworld partner award chart as opposed to the BA/Iberia/Aer Lingus chart.

Can anyone help me understand why this might be the case?
Old Aug 22, 21, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 100K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by gonebabygone View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! However the 3757 miles was in fact calculated a per sector basis.

That being said, I do think I resolved (part of) my own question: the problem is not due to Avios miscalculating the distance, but rather using the wrong award chart. Avios seems to be calculating my routing according to the Oneworld partner award chart as opposed to the BA/Iberia/Aer Lingus chart.

Can anyone help me understand why this might be the case?
How many avios are they charging? And are flying peak or nonpeak dates?
Old Aug 23, 21, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
How many avios are they charging? And are flying peak or nonpeak dates?
Outbound is nonpeak, inbound is peak. Avios.com was quoting me 41,500 when it should actually be 33,000.

However it seems there is a discrepancy between what is shown on Avios.com and what is actually offered when you phone in on BA Exec Club, and that might be the problem. Avios.com was also quoting me $344USD for the roundtrip, which is also way more than it should be. So it's either a bug, or it's just a really bad idea to book online using Avios.com. Suffice it so say I will be calling into BA Exec Club for this booking!
Old Aug 28, 21, 5:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Quick question: I just bought some Avios from the promo, and they showed up in my account instantly.

However, when trying to redeem, the final payment page still shows my old balance and won't let me use the Avios that I just bought (even if they show up in my transactions).

How long does it usually take for this to be updated? Hours, days?
Old Aug 28, 21, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Quick question: I just bought some Avios from the promo, and they showed up in my account instantly.

However, when trying to redeem, the final payment page still shows my old balance and won't let me use the Avios that I just bought (even if they show up in my transactions).

How long does it usually take for this to be updated? Hours, days?
Seconds
Old Aug 28, 21, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Sorry for yet another newbie style question, but I want to do everything at the moment to avoid having to call the call centre.
If I book a flight award on a partner airline (it's an impulse booking because there are almost no seats left) and I decide it was a mistake when I wake up tomorrow, can I cancel it online within the 24h grace period without having to call?
I think this facility exists on the website, but I just want to be sure.

ETA - I had a look at this and it seems that, online anyway, you can only refund the Avios ticket into a voucher for future use. What I would want to do would be to refund the miles and taxes, if it comes to that. Looks like it's going to require a call.

Last edited by Concerto; Aug 28, 21 at 5:30 pm Reason: more info
Old Aug 28, 21, 4:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by flashware View Post
Seconds
That's what I imagined, too, but still after an hour it showed the new points balance on the main page, but when making a booking, it showed the old balance at the payment page and didn't let me redeem points that it didn't think I had. Gotta love computers...

I finally solved this by opening an incognito window and logging in again. So maybe it had something to do with cookies or some other IT stuff I don't understand. Anyway, in the end I was able to book my ticket with this work-around.
Old Aug 29, 21, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just wanted to share, I booked an award ticket that I think represents really good value, compared to a paid ticket.
The routing is from Thessaloniki to Samara in Russia, via Moscow DME, on S7 Airlines in Business Class:

SKG-DME-KUF (S7)

BAEC Executive Club: 28,000 miles One Way Avios Award
Taxes and Fees: GBP 37.80
Ticket Value: EUR 1,350.00
michlflyer likes this.
Old Aug 29, 21, 1:14 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Flying Blue
Peak or Off-Peak for connecting flights spanning both dates?

I am planning to book return flights from Glasgow to New York, connecting in Heathrow, for myself and my partner next September and will be using Avios and a companion voucher. I'm keen to choose Off-Peak to use fewer points however as we will have a connecting flight the return flights will be both Peak and Off-Peak dates. For example if we leave New York on a Friday evening, which is an Off Peak day, and then fly from Heathrow to Glasgow on the Saturday, which is Peak day, will the NYC-GLA part of the booking be considered Peak or Off -Peak?
Old Aug 31, 21, 9:52 am

I have an Avios reward booking on American Airlines. I am trying to cancel the flights on BA.com and it's asking me to fill out a form for the issuance of an eVoucher. Is there a way to get back the Avios instead? I don't want my miles stuck in some sort of voucher. Thank you.
Old Aug 31, 21, 10:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I have an Avios reward booking on American Airlines. I am trying to cancel the flights on BA.com and it's asking me to fill out a form for the issuance of an eVoucher. Is there a way to get back the Avios instead? I don't want my miles stuck in some sort of voucher. Thank you.
In order to request a voluntary cancellation you need to call. You would only be able to request a future travel voucher online.
Old Sep 1, 21, 8:56 am

I don't understand why BA is trying to charge 9,250 Avios for a nonstop from AMS to LHR in Off-peak (Mar 11 2022)? Shouldn't it be 4,000 Avios?
Old Sep 1, 21, 9:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by MrBigZ View Post
I don't understand why BA is trying to charge 9,250 Avios for a nonstop from AMS to LHR in Off-peak (Mar 11 2022)? Shouldn't it be 4,000 Avios?
Welcome to FT.

See this recent thread (for example) that probably explains what's up :

19000 Avios for SOU-EDI round trip?

You can choose between "deceived by a badly designed and misleading web page" and (as one poster has suggested) "lazy, ignorant and stupid".

Search this Thread