Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Your guide to spending Avios | 2021 edition

Old Jul 19, 21, 3:45 am
  #136  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 99
Hello, a few basic questions that I cannot find the answers to...
1) If I book a Club World flight using Avios, and at a later date availability in First opens up, what is the best way to change to those seats (also using Avios)? I'm guessing I'd have to do this through a call centre? Is there a fee? Does the fee differ if it involves changing flight time but not date or destination?

2) Return flight shows First availability for the transatlantic element but I need a regional connecting flight too. When I use the website, the return flight in First doesn't show up - it does if I only search for flights to LHR. What is the best way to deal with this? Book the First flight online and call to ask for a connection to MAN to be added? Or get the whole lot booked through the contact centre. I'd be nervous of the latter as someone else might grab the seats while I'm on the phone.If I book the transatlantic element on line and then call, is there a fee to add the MAN connection?

Thank you in advance for your help.
GogLobster is offline  
Old Jul 20, 21, 9:25 am
  #137  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 569
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Can you search for availability for the two sectors individually? Sometimes ba.com freaks out with connections, so if there is availability on each flight you can call to book as one ticket if that happens.
Thanks. Here's how I resolved the thing (just in case it may help someone as a future reference).

The britishairways.com web site did not show availability for my desired FRA-HEL-ARN routing online. It showed an avios award for the second segment HEL-ARN and nothing for the first segment FRA-HEL.

However, looking on aa.com suggested there is saver award availability for the married (?) segments FRA-HEL-ARN on the date I wanted. So I called them up and BA's call center could indeed price it. 15k Avios plus roughly EUR 95 in fees. The agent confirmed the telephone fee would be waived as it is not bookable online.

I ended up going with another OW program due to a lower required co-payment. But it's good to know BA's call center can help in such cases.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by FlyerTalker324193; Jul 20, 21 at 9:27 am Reason: typo
FlyerTalker324193 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 21, 5:35 am
  #138  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 547
Sorry if this is already addressed somewhere, but my November Avios booked HKG-SIN CX flight is no longer available for sale, and I'm supposing that, if current conditions prevail, it will be cancelled neare the time (looking towards the end of year, CX are planning to operate one flight a day on that route)
Do standard BA rules for cancelled flights apply to partner flights, i.e. rebooking on any date regardless of avios availability if cancelled by operating carrier? Or will we have to rebook based only on future available award space that CX have released to BA?
Even if a cancellation comes through, I'm not planning on acting until our UK legs are cancelled, and we can then rebuild the whole trip.
GBOAC is offline  
Old Jul 22, 21, 9:07 am
  #139  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,146
Im guessing the answer to this will be a no but can I upgrade an AA transatlantic leg from business to first if its booked as a BA Holiday under the BA code?
andymcdonnell is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 3:32 am
  #140  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 81
Is RFS not a thing anymore? I was pricing out a LHR-SOF round-trip for two in Club, outbound peak, inbound off-peak. I was expecting something along the lines of 74000 avios + 70GBP, but instead met this:


I feel like I missed some announcement somewhere but I can't find it...
psychopompos is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 3:52 am
  #141  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,396
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
Is RFS not a thing anymore? I was pricing out a LHR-SOF round-trip for two in Club, outbound peak, inbound off-peak. I was expecting something along the lines of 74000 avios + 70GBP, but instead met this:


I feel like I missed some announcement somewhere but I can't find it...
When was the last activity on your account?
flashware is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 6:39 am
  #142  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by flashware View Post
When was the last activity on your account?
In what sense? I haven't booked or flown anything since January 2020. Or perhaps there was a redemption for a family member in March 2020. Come to think of it, I wouldn't have had any Avios deposited either, since the BA Amex where all the spending goes is held by the Mrs. Lo and behold, the same search when she's logged in produces much more expected results. What's one to do?
psychopompos is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 8:19 am
  #143  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BRU
Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G)
Posts: 3,054
Originally Posted by psychopompos View Post
In what sense? I haven't booked or flown anything since January 2020. Or perhaps there was a redemption for a family member in March 2020. Come to think of it, I wouldn't have had any Avios deposited either, since the BA Amex where all the spending goes is held by the Mrs. Lo and behold, the same search when she's logged in produces much more expected results. What's one to do?
You need to earn some Avios on your account to get back the RFS option. Theoretically, moving some from your partner account should work too.
I don't remember if buying avios has the same effect.
Lefly is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 11:41 am
  #144  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Posts: 1,327
Buying Avios works to restore RFS pricing. As does a transfer of Amex MR points
AJA_ is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 2:10 pm
  #145  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA *S
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
Buying Avios works to restore RFS pricing. As does a transfer of Amex MR points
I just did a AMEX MR transfer and I think I'm still getting incorrect pricing. I'm looking at DUB-LCY in November (non-peak) and Club is pricing at 15,000. Shouldn't this be 8,250?
Red Raider LV is offline  
Old Aug 2, 21, 2:17 pm
  #146  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 36,905
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV View Post
I just did a AMEX MR transfer and I think I'm still getting incorrect pricing. I'm looking at DUB-LCY in November (non-peak) and Club is pricing at 15,000. Shouldn't this be 8,250?
If you click through to the "Your price quote" page you should see the following options, the bolded one being the more normal rate.

15000 Avios + 0.50
14250 Avios + 4.50
11750 Avios + 12.50
8500 Avios + 25.00
6500 Avios + 42.50
5250 Avios + 62.50
AJA_ likes this.
KARFA is online now  
Old Aug 2, 21, 3:08 pm
  #147  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA *S
Posts: 355
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
If you click through to the "Your price quote" page you should see the following options, the bolded one being the more normal rate.
I did see that. It looks like their exchange rate to USD isn't all that generous, but at least I've updated correctly it would seem.
Red Raider LV is offline  
Old Aug 5, 21, 5:18 am
  #148  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Hello,

Ive got 12555 Avios to my name, I was looking earlier for RFS flights from GLA to BCN for next February, and the only price I can go for is 12350 Avios + 192. What on earth? I thought one way or returns were available for around 9000 Avios + 30?
Alasdair Mulhern is offline  
Old Aug 5, 21, 9:06 am
  #149  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver, Mucci recipient
Posts: 1,327
Originally Posted by Alasdair Mulhern View Post
Hello,

I’ve got 12555 Avios to my name, I was looking earlier for RFS flights from GLA to BCN for next February, and the only price I can go for is 12350 Avios + 192. What on earth? I thought one way or returns were available for around 9000 Avios + 30?
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

Have you earned at least 1 Avios in the last 12 months? I suspect that you haven't which is why you are not seeing the normal RFS pricing. Not sure where you are based but if in the UK and you have Nectar Points link that to your BAEC account and transfer 400NP to 250 Avios and you will then be able to see the RFS pricing.

Note on your first day you can only post 5 times.
AJA_ is offline  
Old Aug 5, 21, 10:06 am
  #150  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

Have you earned at least 1 Avios in the last 12 months? I suspect that you haven't which is why you are not seeing the normal RFS pricing. Not sure where you are based but if in the UK and you have Nectar Points link that to your BAEC account and transfer 400NP to 250 Avios and you will then be able to see the RFS pricing.

Note on your first day you can only post 5 times.
Cheers. Ive earned Avios via the e-store if that counts? If not, Ill look to transfer some nectar points later.
Alasdair Mulhern is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread