Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Some countries (e.g. Hong Kong) are preventing entry of anyone who has been to South Africa, and there are rumors that other countries will follow suit given the extreme worries about the SA variant.
I would be surprised if UK would allow flights from SA in the foreseeable future and not enforce strict quarantine measures for anyone who has been there.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
So my flight on 12 January (BA54 from JNB to LHR) has just been cancelled! It is the return part of a redemption booking. What are my options for BA getting me back to the UK? Ideally, I would like to be transferred to QR or either of the LH/LX flights (assuming I can still get out of Botswana/into SA). Thanks in advance for any help.
Originally Posted by rc4566
BA58 on the 13th CPT-LHR has been zeroed out and the codeshare AA flight is showing as canceled according to expertflyer. Would BA be willing to rebook us onto QR at this point or do I need to officially wait for notification that the flight has been canceled?
I am expecting all SA flights to be cancelled for the foreseeable future, and there may well be further restrictions on indirect routings too, given the wording used by the Health Secretary. Once a flight has been cancelled then you can currently call BA and ask to be rebooked via QR or the next available BA flight, which may be some way off. For redemptions it is also possible to rebooked on to QR but you may need an indirect route - see posts upthread. Cancellations also allow FTVs and full refunds, and in the case of commercial fares a refund with Avios instead of cash. More details in the main Rebook thread.

If indirect routings are constrained then we will probably go back to only repatriation flights organised very tightly by the FCDO and its logistics contractor, as happened in March 2020.

The travel ban implemented on 24 December 2020 has no end point, it continues until HMG changes its view, which presumably will be when more evidence of the variant and its impact becomes established.
T8191 and konagirl2 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Personally, I think HMG, is relieved that potentially someone else has a worse variant than the UK, and therefore they can distract people from their own failings, incompetence and lack of acceptance that testing before getting on a plane makes travel safer as it may pick up those who have no symptoms.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Has anyone actually traveled on QR from SA to UK in the last couple days? I just tried to rebook onto a flight tomorrow and the BA agent said we needed PCR tests. Could someone confirm if this is the case or not? I can get some tests turned around asap but would prefer to avoid that drama if possible.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neighbours son bought a cash Emirates fare In business a couple of days ago to get home from CPT today landing tomorrow morning. It seems it is still possible to get back and the honesty policy of quarantine on arrival is a farce
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Neighbours son bought a cash Emirates fare In business a couple of days ago to get home from CPT today landing tomorrow morning. It seems it is still possible to get back and the honesty policy of quarantine on arrival is a farce
Did he need a test though to do it?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Has anyone actually traveled on QR from SA to UK in the last couple days? I just tried to rebook onto a flight tomorrow and the BA agent said we needed PCR tests. Could someone confirm if this is the case or not? I can get some tests turned around asap but would prefer to avoid that drama if possible.
Hi rc4566

I came back from Cape Town via Doha this past Friday / Saturday. No need for a PCR test at present leaving SA or flying on QR. The BA agents mention this on all rebooking calls it seems, but QR list about 10 Countries on their website which they require a negative PCR test before allowing you to board, SA is not one of them (but keep checking their website in case that changes). Check-in at SA just requires you to have your UK passenger locator form completed as they log the reference number into their system (presumably to send to UK Border Force) and you complete a health screening questionnaire before going through passport control at CPT along with a temperature check, but that is all.
Hope that helps.

Pilot37
rc4566 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
AFAIK no requirement for tests on Qatar or Emirates when I looked into it last week ( didn't end up flying back that way ) - BA agent won't have a clue, check Qatar's website .. but they were only requiring pre-travel PCR tests for a small list of countries not including SA .. though clearly this may change.

( There is some enforcement on SA arrivals BTW - so far we've had 2 text messages, 2 phone calls from Public Health England and 1 phone call from the Met Police )
8420PR likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

If indirect routings are constrained then we will probably go back to only repatriation flights organised very tightly by the FCDO and its logistics contractor, as happened in March 2020.
This is going to be very, very difficult to enforce. I would be flabbergasted if the South African authorities cooperated and shared any data about who visited with the UK, especially after Hancock's comments that seriously annoyed the SA government.

​​​​​​
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Seems like nothing has changed since March 2020

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This is how I came home from South Africa, bought walk up tickets on Emirates last minute and was thank full to get on the flight. Seems like not much has changed for the return.

Would only recommend visiting on holiday if you have confirmed seats on Emirates or Qatar to come back home. They should keep flying unless South Africa shuts borders again like last April.
cheltzel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC
My flight home JNB - LHR - MAN for 12th Jan was cancelled yesterday (well the JNB = LHR leg was cancelled).
I'm happy to stay for a while because I'm out of the way of lots of people and think I'm at least as safe here than at home and getting home would be the riskiest part.
There are too many unknowns both in SA and UK so I can't sensibly pick a date to ask BA to change my flight to. Its a reward F flight.
Do I pick a date anyway? Could I change it without penalty if circs change?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:01 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
BA58 on the 13th CPT-LHR has been zeroed out and the codeshare AA flight is showing as canceled according to expertflyer. Would BA be willing to rebook us onto QR at this point or do I need to officially wait for notification that the flight has been canceled?
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
So my flight on 12 January (BA54 from JNB to LHR) has just been cancelled! It is the return part of a redemption booking. What are my options for BA getting me back to the UK? Ideally, I would like to be transferred to QR or either of the LH/LX flights (assuming I can still get out of Botswana/into SA). Thanks in advance for any help.
[QUOTE=mda03jb;32936503]
Originally Posted by gallagher
I’ve got to be home (London) by the morning of the 12th at the very latest./QUOTE]

If you need to be back for anything that cannot be undertaken while quarantining at home then you need to get out ASAP. It seems the UK authorities are actually enforcing the rules for arrivals from RSA unlike other countries with lots of reports of visits from local police force to ensure compliance.

I certainly would not count on direct flights between SA and UK to be re-established, but start looking for alternatives.

My own experience: I was booked on a BA (Avio sales redemption) flight LHR/CPT in mid November in CW. When that was cancelled, I was given the choice LHR/JNB in CW and then make my own way to CPT (Comair did not operate at that stage and they were 'unable' to book me on other airlines) or on QR LHR/DOH/CPT in Y (there was no 'availability' in J, which was not true as QR was selling tickets on their website). So if I had been prepared to fight, I should have been able to get to CPT on QR and that is what I think is the best solution for those who are booked on non-operating BA flights at the moment (in the end I opted for the LHR/JNB option).

On the way back, I did not have a booking and I bought an Emirates ticket. That was relatively seamless, although I was thoroughly checked at LHR for eligibility to enter the UK (I am on a European passport but have settled status).
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
I'd advise booking your backup on Qatar if you can .. Economy ( yeah I know, but you mightn't need it in the end ) one ways from CPT ( or better JNB ) are under £300 .. if you don't need it then refunds are total and quick ( tip , choose your booking currency as GBP to avoid issues with losing forex charges on the refund ) ... I had a booking which I didn't need and the refund was confirmed instantly and processed in a week ... small price ( effectively zero) for having a backup plan
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by FlyerGill
My flight home JNB - LHR - MAN for 12th Jan was cancelled yesterday (well the JNB = LHR leg was cancelled).
I'm happy to stay for a while because I'm out of the way of lots of people and think I'm at least as safe here than at home and getting home would be the riskiest part.
There are too many unknowns both in SA and UK so I can't sensibly pick a date to ask BA to change my flight to. Its a reward F flight.
Do I pick a date anyway? Could I change it without penalty if circs change?
Leave it until you're clear on what you want to do (but don't let it get past 1 year after when the ticket was issued, otherwise your only option will be a refund). You don't have to accept a change now, and you only get one 'free' change.

Keep a note of the booking reference, and the e-ticket number (starting with 125- if you bought it from BA) in case it disappears from your online account.

Once you know when you want to get back, then phone in and get yourself rebooked.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK *G, Virgin Flying Club, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=thijsseh;32939384]
Originally Posted by mda03jb

On the way back, I did not have a booking and I bought an Emirates ticket. That was relatively seamless, although I was thoroughly checked at LHR for eligibility to enter the UK (I am on a European passport but have settled status).
My sister is hoping to come back from SA on the 16th with VS but I have recommended she book with QR as a back up. However she is a Belgian (EU) passport holder. She applied for settled status months ago but still hasnt received confirmation it is approved. She only has the confirmation of receipt of the application. I hope that they won't block her from boarding or entering the UK if she can't prove settled status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.