Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
We really do live in a police state.
If occasional enforcement of some of the laxest laws in the world are indicative of a “police state”, what do you make of the many countries around the globe enforcing quarantine and curfews using physical and geofencing technology?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
If occasional enforcement of some of the laxest laws in the world are indicative of a “police state”, what do you make of the many countries around the globe enforcing quarantine and curfews using physical and geofencing technology?
I think we can discuss this in the coronavirus forum. In this thread, I just want to make the point that this kind of enforcement bodes poorly on the chances of a quick change to the rules, and a resumption of service. Those stuck abroad might want to make decisions with this in mind.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think we can discuss this in the coronavirus forum. In this thread, I just want to make the point that this kind of enforcement bodes poorly on the chances of a quick change to the rules, and a resumption of service. Those stuck abroad might want to make decisions with this in mind.
Maybe I’m too optimistic, but I am not reading it like that. From a logistical point of view it is a lot more straightforward following up with arrivals from a single country for a short period of time, than it is from all countries (not part of travel corridors), for an extended period.
The 2 week cancellation of flights to me feels fairly conservative as it is - and also seems to line up with when results are due back on whether the new strain will be handled by the approved vaccines. Obviously if there is bad news on that front, the cancellations could get extended, but otherwise I can’t see why they would.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:13 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Whereas people deciding not to keep to the rules and feeling they can get away with it with no one checking resulting in more infections is really going to speed things up, right?

I came back from Denmark on 10th December and it was quite inconvenient to have to self isolate for ten days. It inconvenienced the whole family, but that was the consequence of travelling. I didn't get a call or a visit from the boyos in blue (I'm in Wales where things are stricter). If people largely ignore the rules, then it's harder to say that the rules don't work as the powers that be can just say they didn't work because too many people broke the rules.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
South Africa has just announced a return to lock down level 3 as of tonight - so for those hoping for a return of flights on January 7th, I’m not sure I would be hopeful or even excited to travel down until things become clearer on exact restrictions.

Pilot37
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Blue
“Adjusted” level 3. Details on borders unclear. We are heading out there for 3 months work there and Namibia.
Old Dec 28, 2020, 2:19 pm

With the new measures, and a chance of further flight cancellations down the line, we are planning to book a flight back to London from JNB on QR in the coming days. I have a few assumptions that I hope someone can please confirm or advise if any are incorrect, before making the new booking.

1) Our return BA ticket (cash booking) from JNB to LHR, due to operate on Jan 9th, will be eligible for a FTV credit if it still runs, and a refund if it is cancelled (and a FTV has not already been applied for)?

2) We can wait to make a decision on the FTV application up to the check in time of the flight?

3) We could move our Comair DUR to JNB domestic leg of the same PNR, to align with our outbound QR flight date, by simply by phoning and paying any fare difference?

Sorry, I know this is possibly answered in the refund thread, I did have a look, but couldn’t find an answer for the same scenario (cash, trip started, move domestic connection), and I hope an answer might help others looking to do the same thing at the moment. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2020, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by lots@LHR
“Adjusted” level 3. Details on borders unclear. We are heading out there for 3 months work there and Namibia.
“Adjusted” level rules - borders remain open as they are now, hotels/bnbs/lodges are allowed to stay open, as are game parks (which have controlled access). Main limitation for travellers is probably the limited opening hours for restaurants (to 8pm), the 9pm-6am curfew, NO alcohol at all (for purchase or in restaurants), all beaches closed in hot spot areas (which includes a lot of the Cape and KZN)

Last edited by cmcbugg; Dec 28, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Colossus
With the new measures, and a chance of further flight cancellations down the line, we are planning to book a flight back to London from JNB on QR in the coming days. I have a few assumptions that I hope someone can please confirm or advise if any are incorrect, before making the new booking.

1) Our return BA ticket (cash booking) from JNB to LHR, due to operate on Jan 9th, will be eligible for a FTV credit if it still runs, and a refund if it is cancelled (and a FTV has not already been applied for)?

2) We can wait to make a decision on the FTV application up to the check in time of the flight?

3) We could move our Comair DUR to JNB domestic leg of the same PNR, to align with our outbound QR flight date, by simply by phoning and paying any fare difference?

Sorry, I know this is possibly answered in the refund thread, I did have a look, but couldn’t find an answer for the same scenario (cash, trip started, move domestic connection), and I hope an answer might help others looking to do the same thing at the moment. Thanks!
I’ve managed to find out answers to my questions after a quick call to SA Executive Club number, hopefully this helps others.

1. Yes, FTV available if flight continues to run, refund if flight is cancelled. (Will apply for FTV if still not cancelled 24 hours before scheduled departure).

2. Yes

3. No (updated after speaking again). This results in complete repricing of the itinerary, which is a lot more now. I an not sure if this is just because of how big the gap is between the domestic and international, or would apply anyway. We ended up just booking a separate ticket for the domestic and will refund/FTV the original return flights later.

Now off to book flights via QR. As the domestic flight to JNB and the flight to London via Doha are not going to be part of the same ticket, leaving approximately 6 hours in JNB in case delays with domestic flight.

Last edited by Colossus; Dec 29, 2020 at 7:55 am
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
“Adjusted” level rules - borders remain open as they are now, hotels/bnbs/lodges are allowed to stay open, as are game parks (which have controlled access). Main limitation for travellers is probably the limited opening hours for restaurants (to 8pm), the 9pm-6am curfew, NO alcohol at all (for purchase or in restaurants), all beaches closed in hot spot areas (which includes a lot of the Cape and KZN)
I wonder whether room service alcohol permitted in a hotel?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
No. No sales allowed. Even room service is a sale.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by chspw1
How about the minibar? 🤔
Old Dec 29, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Colossus
How about the minibar? 🤔
Minibars are cleared of alcohol
Old Dec 29, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chspw1
And airport lounges?
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
See:

https://www.heraldlive.co.za/amp/new...mpression=true

Regulations gazetted after the president's announcement confirmed this, stating: “The sale, dispensing, and distribution of liquor for off-site consumption: and for on-site consumption, is prohibited.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.