Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NicholasMAN
I'm on tomorrow evening's BA43 and will a brief update, hopefully before pushback.
Checked in at MAN earlier for BA1395. Had not done Verifly (always have problems with the photo taking!) and an inexperienced check in agent asked for PCR test cert after being given Vax docs.

I explained the rule change yesterday and she consulted with her senior colleague on the adjacent desk and then consulted "'the system" .

On doing so she confrimed that the criteria had changed from vax certs PLUS PCR results to vax certs OR PCR results.

She then proceeded to check us through to CPT.

If there are any issues at the other end tomorrow, I'll report back.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by simon stingray
Are booster jabs required to be considered "fully vaccinated" when entering South Africa?

2 young adults travelling with our party have had both jabs but will not have had their booster when we travel next month and I can't seem to find the answer to this.
​​​​​​​Nope booster not required - 2 jabs will suffice for 'fully vaccinated'
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:34 pm

Checked in at MAN earlier for BA1395. Had not done Verifly (always have problems with the photo taking!) and an inexperienced check in agent asked for PCR test cert after being given Vax docs.

I explained the rule change yesterday and she consulted with her senior colleague on the adjacent desk and then consulted "'the system" .

On doing so she confrimed that the criteria had changed from vax certs PLUS PCR results to vax certs OR PCR results.

She then proceeded to check us through to CPT.

If there are any issues at the other end tomorrow, I'll report back.
Hope you will report back. we are flying iad/doh/jnb/wdk starting on April 6. Mrs jmj9905 and I both have vax plus boster. We currently understand from our travel agent we don't need PCR test. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Old Mar 25, 2022, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Hope you will report back. we are flying iad/doh/jnb/wdk starting on April 6. Mrs jmj9905 and I both have vax plus boster. We currently understand from our travel agent we don't need PCR test. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Correct .. as long as you can prove vaccination status then PCR tests no longer required in South Africa or Namibia ( South Africa since just this week, Namibia relaxed their rules a few weeks ago )
drwook likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by jmj9905
Pleased to confirm that we are now in Cape Town, with no entry issues at all.

We completed an SA government Health Declaration Form which was handed out by cabin crew prior to landing, and collected (along with a cursory check of our vaccination certs) by airport staff between the air bridge and passport control.

So if you're double jabbed, you're good to go!
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Correct .. as long as you can prove vaccination status then PCR tests no longer required in South Africa or Namibia ( South Africa since just this week, Namibia relaxed their rules a few weeks ago )
Thanks EvilDoctork.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:15 am

Red face

Pleased to confirm that we are now in Cape Town, with no entry issues at all.

We completed an SA government Health Declaration Form which was handed out by cabin crew prior to landing, and collected (along with a cursory check of our vaccination certs) by airport staff between the air bridge and passport control.

So if you're double jabbed, you're good to go!
Great news NicholasMAN you have made my day!
NicholasMAN likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LGW check in was fine - they knew about the new rule despite this being an indirect routing and were happy with a quick glance at the NHS app. All very easy
Old May 2, 2022, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It's interesting to look back a couple of months at the "will they, won't they" about whether BA would restore the second daily JNB (see A380 BA56 LHR to JNB now zero’d out for April/May and JNB - LHR on May 5 or 6?). It's tempting now to ask what took BA so long? You can't get a single seat from JNB to LHR at any price for the next couple of weeks. That's pretty impressive selling, unless BA has some other reason for restricting loads during this period.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Random question but appropriate thread - is CPT always on a three class service? The only F is to JNB?
Old May 2, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's interesting to look back a couple of months at the "will they, won't they" about whether BA would restore the second daily JNB (see A380 BA56 LHR to JNB now zero’d out for April/May and JNB - LHR on May 5 or 6?). It's tempting now to ask what took BA so long? You can't get a single seat from JNB to LHR at any price for the next couple of weeks. That's pretty impressive selling, unless BA has some other reason for restricting loads during this period.
We are on the BA55 on 5th May. When we went on MMB to choose seats last week, at 7 days, we discovered that the aircraft is now a 787-9 and there were very few seats left to choose from in J. Until the day before the aircraft was showing as a 777. We got seats next to each other in the middle of the aircraft. I do prefer a window but after 2 years of waiting and postponements I'm happy as long as we get there.
At the monent the inbound, 20th June, is showing as a 777 with the new club suite but I'll believe that when I see it, fingers crossed though.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I have been booked on the BA55 (LHR:JNB)on May 4th for some months. Originally in F then downgraded to Club after an equipment change from A380 to 777. Now it's a 787-9 but the two rows of F are blocked out according to You First so I am hoping that I might be able to get into FLUB on the day.

At least my return flight is now back in F.
redrose59 likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by abraxias
Random question but appropriate thread - is CPT always on a three class service? The only F is to JNB?
We were on BA59 LHR - CPT on 14 April, and we realised that they had First seats only after boarding. We had booked this trip a long time ago and First was not available for purchase at the time. I wondered if they simply upgraded some Club passengers to the First seats without actually selling First tickets.
abraxias likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yanshuf
We were on BA59 LHR - CPT on 14 April, and we realised that they had First seats only after boarding. We had booked this trip a long time ago and First was not available for purchase at the time. I wondered if they simply upgraded some Club passengers to the First seats without actually selling First tickets.
I was on BA59 LHR-CPT on 18 April and originally was Club Suites, then changed to old Club World around 2 weeks before departure with First blocked. On the day, I was moved to a First seat with Club service (FLUB) around 4 hours before departure. The First cabin had all of the window seats occupied but none of the middle pairs.

BONDY
Old May 11, 2022, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
JNB seats are wide open again as rising covid rates seem to have led to a lot of cancellations in J class travellers this week.
Ticket prices for departures this weekend from the U.K. have dropped by several thousand pounds so some relative bargains to be had.(ish)

in addition the second daily is being dropped from 1 June as part of the summer schedule changes by BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.