New Mandatory Covid Test for JFK Flights

Old Jan 13, 2021, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Will100
Interesting.

Does this pave the way for tourism?

Recommended stay at home but not mandated may suggest so.
No. Nor is intended to. At least in the first instance. This does not change admissibility criteria at all. One must still be a US citizen, LPR or come under one of the stated exemptions. The required test followed by recommended quarantine and second test only apply to those who would be otherwise admissible.

The air carriers sought this testing scheme in the hopes that if it is successful, it may be possible to relax entry requirements in certain air corridors. Presumably LON-NYC, as the most profitable route in the world, is one of them. But, needs to be step at a time.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Interested in this as I am flying to the USA next week.
How long was the whole process? I know you say you had the 45 min test. But from arrival at T5 to having the result in hand arriving at check in. Just so I can plan. Dont want the stress of waiting on a result by the checkin desk with the flight closing in 1 minute kind of scenario!
Oh - and (just repeating up thread comments): make sure that you pre-book online - on Saturday they weren't doing any walk-up appointments. Critically, when you book online, check that the date (in particular) and time on the email confirmation matches the screen confirmation. Mrs CKBA had to do it three times since the first two dates came back for the following day (others have also noted this issue!).
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:53 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CKBA
Oh - and (just repeating up thread comments): make sure that you pre-book online - on Saturday they weren't doing any walk-up appointments. Critically, when you book online, check that the date (in particular) and time on the email confirmation matches the screen confirmation. Mrs CKBA had to do it three times since the first two dates came back for the following day (others have also noted this issue!).
Thanks for that - yes I quite agree with you. I have experience with Collinson from the BA test on arrival trial they ran, which was hopeless. Collinson lost my 3rd test - the one to do at home, and when we had to arrange the test on arrival at T5, the date selected in the booking form in no way whatsoever matched the booking confirmation email. Their IT systems are terrible, and completely impossible to contact them to fix it.
I have fed back to BAEC about Collinson and whether they are fit for purpose, and BA are investigating. (Well thats what they told me)
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Thanks for that - yes I quite agree with you. I have experience with Collinson from the BA test on arrival trial they ran, which was hopeless. Collinson lost my 3rd test - the one to do at home, and when we had to arrange the test on arrival at T5, the date selected in the booking form in no way whatsoever matched the booking confirmation email. Their IT systems are terrible, and completely impossible to contact them to fix it.
I have fed back to BAEC about Collinson and whether they are fit for purpose, and BA are investigating. (Well that’s what they told me)
For a complete peace of mind, I can highly recommend the T5 ExpressTest drive-thru station. Show up 72 to 60 hours before the flight, and it is 100% guaranteed that you will receive the Fit to Fly certificate (PCR) within 48 hours (it took 24 hours for me). They have other stations as well across the UK. You also get a discount (80) if you fly out of Heathrow. You must book your slot in advance.
Jet Ranger and haroon145 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
No. Nor is intended to. At least in the first instance. This does not change admissibility criteria at all. One must still be a US citizen, LPR or come under one of the stated exemptions. The required test followed by recommended quarantine and second test only apply to those who would be otherwise admissible.

The air carriers sought this testing scheme in the hopes that if it is successful, it may be possible to relax entry requirements in certain air corridors. Presumably LON-NYC, as the most profitable route in the world, is one of them. But, needs to be step at a time.
In addition to what Often1 outlined-- I'd differentiate between a blanket travel-ban (as it's in place now) vs. tourism. Even if the travel-ban is lifted (the new administration is expected to do so), tourism may not qualify is a valid reason to travel to the US right away. Perhaps you will need to show proof of work, family or other ties (medical etc.) in order to travel, and the cumbersome National Interest Waiver "process" (it's down to luck) will be done away with.

Last edited by destone; Jan 13, 2021 at 9:51 am
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:11 am

I have fed back to BAEC about Collinson and whether they are fit for purpose, and BA are investigating. (Well thats what they told me)
... although... we had come to LHR expecting problems with Collinsons - but we didn't have any on the day. The key thing is that you can roll it into your trip on the day, rather than having to a separate trip to get the test done (and it's 'cheap' too at 50UKP each).
Jet Ranger likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:38 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
... although... we had come to LHR expecting problems with Collinsons - but we didn't have any on the day. The key thing is that you can roll it into your trip on the day, rather than having to a separate trip to get the test done (and it's 'cheap' too at 50UKP each).
Am looking at the Halo one done by mail, which, including the BA discount, is 74.76, as travelling to a test beforehand is not feasible before the flight, and Im getting push back from the OH about arriving 4 hours before the flight, and thinks the extra 24 quid is worth every penny to avoid that. He is the type that would like to arrive at LHR 1 min before conformance, if he always got his way. What can you do.....
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
According to BBC -

UK to close all travel corridors from Monday

Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I flew back to San Diego on the 9th, connecting through DFW. We were actually met at the top of the ramp by the CDC inspectors. They wanted to see my passport. I had to hold it and open it to the picture page. I then had to show a copy of my negative COVID test. All they did was check that it was a COVID test and that the result was negative. They never did check to see if the passport number on the test result matched the one on my passport picture page.

I had my test done at the Collinson facility at Luton Airport on the 7th as I was staying nearby in Chalton. The only drama was that they charged me twice for the antigen test. Even though the pin machine showed approved, the check in clerk stated that it hadn’t gone through, so re-ran my card. Both charges now appear on my card. I’ve emailed customer service, but I suspect that I’ll just have to dispute the duplicate charge as I got a canned message back stating that they were too busy to respond to general enquiries.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I flew back to San Diego on the 9th, connecting through DFW. We were actually met at the top of the ramp by the CDC inspectors. They wanted to see my passport. I had to hold it and open it to the picture page. I then had to show a copy of my negative COVID test. All they did was check that it was a COVID test and that the result was negative. They never did check to see if the passport number on the test result matched the one on my passport picture page.

I had my test done at the Collinson facility at Luton Airport on the 7th as I was staying nearby in Chalton. The only drama was that they charged me twice for the antigen test. Even though the pin machine showed approved, the check in clerk stated that it hadn’t gone through, so re-ran my card. Both charges now appear on my card. I’ve emailed customer service, but I suspect that I’ll just have to dispute the duplicate charge as I got a canned message back stating that they were too busy to respond to general enquiries.
Starting the 26th, this all shifts a bit. While there will still be random inspections on arrival, the bulk of the work will be handled by the air carrier prior to departure with the carrier required to deny boarding if one does not meet the requirements.

With the UK announcement today, travel will be much more limited anyway.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Starting the 26th, this all shifts a bit. While there will still be random inspections on arrival, the bulk of the work will be handled by the air carrier prior to departure with the carrier required to deny boarding if one does not meet the requirements.

With the UK announcement today, travel will be much more limited anyway.
On the 9th Jan, LHR-IAD, at checkin they checked the covid test, then at the gate check it again and took our attestation forms (stating that we had had the test and it was negative), then on arrival at IAD all pax had to show passports and negative covid certificates. So triple checked... - maybe just being cautious to begin with.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
On the 9th Jan, LHR-IAD, at checkin they checked the covid test, then at the gate check it again and took our attestation forms (stating that we had had the test and it was negative), then on arrival at IAD all pax had to show passports and negative covid certificates. So triple checked... - maybe just being cautious to begin with.
For the DFW flight on the 9th, my COVID test form was checked at the check in counter. The agent mentioned that an attestation form would be needed and I should be able to get one at the gate. I managed to pick one up at the Galleries lounge. Only the attestation form was asked for at the gate and it was taken from me.

On a a slightly different note, rigorous checks were being done at the CW check in desks. There had to be 40 passengers in front of me and it took around 45 mins from me walking into the terminal to get over to the entrance to Galleries South.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Terrible. Need to keep airways open. With Macallan at JFK , advise tastings be mandatory upon Arrival at JFK as alcohol will kill most viruses.l.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:19 pm

Watch this space - just in from reuters:

Exclusive: Trump lifting COVID-19 travel restrictions on Europe, UK, Brazil - sources

U.S. President Donald Trump will rescind entry bans for most non-U.S. citizens who recently were in Brazil and much of Europe starting on Jan. 26, two officials briefed on the matter told Reuters on...

reuters.com

11:01 pm 18 Jan 2021
Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta be true - Mail Online reporting it too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-sources.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.