Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changing return airport after flying outbound (avios redemption)

Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver

- Award redemption booking booked via BAEC with Avios
- Booked as a return from London
- Subject to the £35pp change fee, and avios availability, can we change the return to depart on another date and from another airport (still to fly back to London), that is in the same 'zone', i.e. it become an 'open-jaw'

Many thanks in advance
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Yes, provided the new departure point is in the same zone.
BA Amex Companion voucher different return location
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23181059-post7.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26456423-post12.html
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by bmj1
- Award redemption booking booked via BAEC with Avios
- Booked as a return from London
- Subject to the £35pp change fee, and avios availability, can we change the return to depart on another date and from another airport (still to fly back to London), that is in the same 'zone', i.e. it become an 'open-jaw'

Many thanks in advance

If you've already travelled the outbound sector and the return sector is on the same e-ticket/booking reference then the official answer is no. All amendments to redemption bookings need to be made at least 24hrs prior to the first flown sector. Booking 2x one ways in the first place would have given you more flexibility in this scenario.

Jerry A Alaska - I always thought this was the case and you've got me doubting my own advice now. Happy to be corrected if indeed I'm out of touch with reality.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
If you've already travelled the outbound sector and the return sector is on the same e-ticket/booking reference then the official answer is no. All amendments to redemption bookings need to be made at least 24hrs prior to the first flown sector. Booking 2x one ways in the first place would have given you more flexibility in this scenario.

Jerry A Alaska - I always thought this was the case and you've got me doubting my own advice now. Happy to be corrected if indeed I'm out of touch with reality.
While that used to be the rule in the t and c's, it wasn't enforced by BAEC for years. Several years ago BAEC finally changed the t and c's to reflect this practice (allowing changes to inbound bookings after outbound flown) and the t and c's now provide that changes must be made at least 24 hours before the flight you want to change.
16.1. Changes to bookings for Reward travel on flights operated by British Airways or Airline Partners are permitted only in respect of date, time, class of service and route and is subject to this Clause 16. Such changes may only be made by the Member or an individual nominated in accordance with Clause 3.13.

16.2. The route or date applicable to a Reward booking may be changed provided that the new route or date selected would, as at the date the change is requested, require the redemption of the same amount of Avios points as was redeemed in making the original booking. Route changes are only permitted for Reward bookings which are purchased using Avios points only (other than for the payment of taxes, fees and charges).

16.3. If more than one Avios and Money price option is available for a British Airways flight, it is not possible to change the price option or class of service chosen by a Member after a booking has been made.

16.4. All permitted changes are subject to capacity limitations and must be made a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the flight being changed.

16.5. A fee as specified on Ba.com may be payable for each permitted change. Name changes are not permitted.

16.6. If you make a Non-Flight Reward booking, an amendment to your booking will be treated as a cancellation and re-booking and will be (subject to availability and applicable charges) as set out in the Conditions of Use under Spending Avios on Hotel, Car Rental and Experiences.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Many thanks!! Good news
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:28 am
Original Member

Hello all
Does anyone have any recent experience changing the return portion of a return Avios ticket? It is all BA operated flights, There only seems to be an option to cancel for a voucher in manage my booking and not to make a change. I would rather not have to call BA.

Thank you!
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
Does anyone have any recent experience changing the return portion of a return Avios ticket? It is all BA operated flights, There only seems to be an option to cancel for a voucher in manage my booking and not to make a change. I would rather not have to call BA.

Thank you!
I cancelled for a voucher to extend a trip. I had already rebooked the new flight as had sufficient miles to cover it and used the FTV (which was the return leg of a 241) some weeks later over the phone. I was overseas and like you I had no real interest in calling.

FWIW there was no option to do it online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.