Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios onto a voucher after reward flight cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold

Hello , after quite a stressful Sunday trying to get away to FAO for Xmas I ended up having to cancel and I am now staying in sunny hull for the holiday,
I had 2 avios redemption bookings for my wife and myself LHR - FAO one for today (21st dec) and one for tomorrow (22nd dec) , both were cancelled so I now have 2 vouchers with the value 24,000 avios and £1 on each of them,
can I get the avios off the vouchers and back into my household account or do they have to stay on the vouchers ?
thanks in advance darren cobb.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by darrencobb
both were cancelled so I now have 2 vouchers with the value 24,000 avios and £1 on each of them,
There's some detail omitted here, since if BA cancelled the flight, then you get a full refund and they end up in the HHA. Flights to Portugal have been / are being cancelled.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Sorry , I should of added, I cancelled both flights myself. The flights are still running but as I’m not a resident in Portugal i couldn’t land there.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by darrencobb
Sorry , I should of added, I cancelled both flights myself.
The standard cancellation rules still apply, so if there was still more than 24 hours before the first flight in the booking, you could have cancelled the booking for a refund of Avios to your BAEC account. You would have forfeited the cash paid for the booking up to a maximum of £35 per person (the standard cancellation fee for Avios bookings) - in your case, that means that you would have lost £0.50 for each person on each booking.

If there was less than 24 hours to the first flight in the booking, then you couldn't have cancelled like this; a voucher would have been your only option.

Cancelling to vouchers means that you keep the cash paid, but (AIUI) you can't now put the Avios back into your account unless you pay the £35 per person cancellation fee. Also, I think that the vouchers can now only be used for further Avios bookings for the passengers named on them, but I suspect that this isn't going to be much of a hindrance for you. BA is being quite flexible if using these vouchers for new trips that are lower in price, because you can then get the "change" paid back into your BAEC account.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
It’s pretty poor that you can’t request a refund online. Should be simple , but no......
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks, yes one of the flights I was checked in for so had to ring late last night once Portugal changed their entry rules, gold line answered within 2 mins and the agent was very helpful, he had to offload the pair of us and issued the voucher.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anniegray
It’s pretty poor that you can’t request a refund online. Should be simple , but no......
If your flight is cancelled you can do so now.
anniegray likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by anniegray
It’s pretty poor that you can’t request a refund online. Should be simple ...
It is simple, and it has historically been available, but the functionality has been disabled. It is not hard to work out why that has been done.

FWIW, I had to cancel a pair of Avios bookings for Christmas today. The entire call, from starting to dial to hanging up at the end with all the Avios already back in my account, was under 6 minutes.
KARFA and anniegray like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by KARFA
If your flight is cancelled you can do so now.
Via this link.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It is simple, and it has historically been available, but the functionality has been disabled. It is not hard to work out why that has been done.

FWIW, I had to cancel a pair of Avios bookings for Christmas today. The entire call, from starting to dial to hanging up at the end with all the Avios already back in my account, was under 6 minutes.
I’ve done this twice, very quick and straightforward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.