Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Suggestion for 2021: Flame Free Sticky NEWBIE Lounge Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2020, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold

Dear FT members, ambassadors, and moderators,

Since I was in this forum ( both when I was a lurker and a member ), I always wondered why the BA forum does not have a flame-free sticky welcome/newbie lounge that would allow new FT members to post their questions and concerns without any doubt. In the majority of the FT boards except for the BA board, there is one and it works perfectly. In my opinion, a NEWBIE lounge could also help the board to be more organized as fewer people would be inclined to open new threads and the more essential threads would stay longer on the first page.

Also, I think that new members and posters that are not regulars ( those who post something less frequent ) would be much confident when asking a simple dummy question.
That's why I think we need one of these sticky flame-free threads with the label "FLAME FREE" or "Everybody is welcome" in the title for the BA forum starting with the new year.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:33 pm

Great idea - I found BAEC hella confusing when I first signed up, so much so I ran away to AAdvantage for years, when if I'd stuck with BAEC I'd have had status long before I did in reality .
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:15 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I tried it once a few years back. I got flamed, and the thread got locked
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I tried it once a few years back. I got flamed, and the thread got locked
A sticky thread being locked
Although I find all the contributors and the posts here in the BA forum valuable, the format and the scheme of the BA board is one of the worst here in FT. ( People get flamed easily, same issue discussed in 10 different threads as people like to open threads as BA xxxx cancelled, what are my options?, highly off-topic issues discussed, etc... )

We really need one and I don't want to open it as I can't stick it up to the top of the board and I don't want to get it locked and implicitly flamed for opening a flame-free thread.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:03 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The BA board is actually generally held up to be one of the very best on FT. It is, by some margin, the busiest - so it’s hardly broken.

The fact that there are sometimes multiple people starting the same subject is because threads can disappeared down the forum very quickly - by pages a day. That’s not necessarily a bad thing - threads that become too large (mega threads) often contain outdated information which is more confusing, so actually pushing fresh data further up the forum can help. It’s all a judgment call, and why we don’t always merge what might be seen as duplicates.

The crowning glory of the BA forum is, of course, the dashboard - something not many other forums have. That is the strongest reason we don’t have, or likely need, a flame-free thread (which, ime, just regurgitates the same queries or allows off-topic ramblings, something we see enough of in normal threads). There’s been an enormous amount of work put into every one of those dashboard threads, and they cover every basic subject and answer pretty much any question you could conceive.
madfish, Ldnn1, JustTheOne and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The BA board is actually generally held up to be one of the very best on FT. It is, by some margin, the busiest - so it’s hardly broken.

The fact that there are sometimes multiple people starting the same subject is because threads can disappeared down the forum very quickly - by pages a day. That’s not necessarily a bad thing - threads that become too large (mega threads) often contain outdated information which is more confusing, so actually pushing fresh data further up the forum can help. It’s all a judgment call, and why we don’t always merge what might be seen as duplicates.

The crowning glory of the BA forum is, of course, the dashboard - something not many other forums have. That is the strongest reason we don’t have, or likely need, a flame-free thread (which, ime, just regurgitates the same queries or allows off-topic ramblings, something we see enough of in normal threads). There’s been an enormous amount of work put into every one of those dashboard threads, and they cover every basic subject and answer pretty much any question you could conceive.
Thank you for the response NWIFlyer

Yes, I am aware that the forum is the busiest forum in FT. I also agree that the dashboard is really a useful resource for newcomers. I also believe that every contributor that has prepared those dashboard threads has put a lot of effort ( I know it from myself, prepared some for the TK board and it takes a lot of time to prepare one )

Also, you're right at some point that a flame-free thread in the busiest board in FT could cause lots of confusion with multiple queries at the same time and subsequent off-topic discussions rather than a direct Q&A thread like the other boards here in FT.

You are probably much more experienced than me regarding FT members' behavior and posting styles in the BA forum so I'll respect your opinion.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:44 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Something that comes up every few years.

NEWBIE Thread. Flame Free Q&A
[SUGGESTION] - Newbie Lounge thread
Old Dec 21, 2020, 2:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'll also pile in with an objection to this since it implies two things - that people may be hesitant/scared to post in some parts of the BA forum due to the reaction. That would be terrible if it happens, accepting that out in the real world getting upset at what people may say to you is occasionally just part of life. Nevertheless all BA forum threads are supposed to be "flame-free" in that respect. Secondly it implies it's ok to turn on the afterburners in other threads, which I don't think is good either.
Tobias-UK, volar, AJA_ and 11 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Secondly it implies it's ok to turn on the afterburners in other threads, which I don't think is good either.
We could add a picture of the LCY signs which say "caution your blast"
Old Dec 21, 2020, 6:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks,

If you happen to read a fresh thread posted by a new member or from someone you don't instantly recognise, please don't buzz in with a list of links to mega threads. A little bit of empathy goes a long long way, so direct, helpful responses are always appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 7:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'll also pile in with an objection to this since it implies two things - that people may be hesitant/scared to post in some parts of the BA forum due to the reaction. That would be terrible if it happens, accepting that out in the real world getting upset at what people may say to you is occasionally just part of life. Nevertheless all BA forum threads are supposed to be "flame-free" in that respect. Secondly it implies it's ok to turn on the afterburners in other threads, which I don't think is good either.
I agree wholeheartedly with this - if we all work hard to keep all threads flame free on the BA board, then there should be no need for one dedicated to be ‘nice’!

Regards

aks120
Old Dec 21, 2020, 8:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
We need to keep ALL threads flame-free!
Old Dec 21, 2020, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seen as it's the British Airways forum I would say 'New Boy' or 'New Girl' would be far more politically correct. Much better than the awful NEWBIE word.

Not that it matters anyway as I don't think such a thread is necessary nowadays.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:37 am

I frequent a few forums, although I really only post here, and of the ones I have seen/posted in, this is the most flame free (or least flamey!)

I do not see a need for a specific new poster thread (to do with the lounge or any other topic.) Perhaps we should all be nice (and most of us are most of the time) and always give the benefit of the doubt as our first reaction, and act as if it were our grandmother/mother posting for new posters!

rb211.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seen as it's the British Airways forum I would say 'New Boy' or 'New Girl' would be far more politically correct. Much better than the awful NEWBIE word.

Not that it matters anyway as I don't think such a thread is necessary nowadays.
How about NOOB?

rb211.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.